Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If Man United win nothing again?

• 10-04-2003 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

If it turns out that United win neither the league or european championship, what'll happen.

What acions will be taken.

Who'll be sold?

How ruthless will Fergie be?

Will Keane announce a surprise retirement?

Will Martin O'Neill or a.n other be brought in with a re-shuffle of positions to allow Fergie upstairs?

Or will they just try and get Ronaldino, a low profile centre back to replace blanc and go more or less as is next season.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

'If it turns out that United win neither the league or european championship, what'll happen.'

The game against Newcastle is a huge game for ManU. Based on the proformance and more importantly the result in Madrid, a loss to NewC would probably change the 'if' to a 'when'.

I can see Wenger resting some players this Sunday - only using them if the game against Sheffield is not going to plan. Anything other than a win for Utd would put Arsenal in the driving seat - especially with the distraction of the return leg with Real to come.

I think that no matter what happens Fergie might use this Summer for a shake up. He normally doesn't change the team much, only added one or two players to the squad, but this year might be different.

I think Fergie will hold on as manager until Keane is ready to retire - then move upstairs while still giving guidence to Keane as new manager

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I think keane may retire regardless. Fergie is still too hungry to move upstairs, but giggs, ole, and possibly beckham could well be sold to make way for duff/ronaldinho and defoe.
    Still think they could turn real over in old trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Bateman
    Who cares?

Thanks for your amazing contribution to the thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont see Fergie going anywhere or Beckham for that matter...but there will plainly be changes. Its just a question of Big Bang or subtle strengthening. They can sign just about anyone if they put thier mind to it but
    I dont see any banks being broken...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

Yeah I am sure United fans would like some subtle strengthening along the lines of Seba Veron,Diego Forlan and the incresingly dodgy Rio Ferdinand for next season !!!!!!!

(how many millions for those three ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

IS the term 'world class' the most misused and abused description of soccer players in the English language?
    I take 'world class' to mean that a player is good enough to be one of the best 11 players on the planet. On Tuesday night, there were players who fitted that description alright at the Bernabeu - but they were all in white.

Keane looked average as he has done since he came back from injury while Beckham struggled to be more than a hairstyle

And when you think they weren't the worst on the night, it goes to show that talking the talk only works when they're playing a Liverpool or some other mediocre outfit.
    The only one you could make a case for was Ruud van Nistelrooy, whose goal was a record haul in Europe and whose presence and ability to hold and shield the ball, as well as his lethal finishing, makes him a runner for 'world class' membership.
    Fergie must rue his misspent millions on average players. Rio Ferdinand is only adequate when he's in the company of dire Wes. How long more can he get away with it? Or your friend and mine Headless, for whom the term positional sense is honoured more by its breach than its presence.
    Imagine with the money for Rio and Seba Veron (£55m), he could have bought a Zidane or Ronaldo and have had a few bob change. Alongside Raul and Figo, these guys turned it on when it mattered and only van Nistelrooy's opportunism has kept the tie alive.
    If that's the case and United are dumped out, then the manager should decide that whoever he brings in from now on will actually make his team substantially better. Neither Rio nor Seba have done that.
    So where does that leave Liverpool? At least United are a poor man's Real in terms of trying to play attractive, attacking football - something the Anfield outfit have singularly failed to achieve in over a decade.
    Even Arsenal, for so long this season the team we all felt would offer redemption for the England Premiership, have caught a dose of the jitters which has seen them dispatched from the Champions' League without a whimper and they are now in danger of surrendering a substantial lead to the Old Trafford outfit in the run in.

This is bits and pieces of PJ Cunningham’s article In the Irish Independent. I thought It was good. Particularly Beckam struggling to be more than a hairstyle!!!
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    [B.
    So where does that leave Liverpool? At least United are a poor man's Real in terms of trying to play attractive, attacking football - something the Anfield outfit have singularly failed to achieve in over a decade.
    [/B]

er, not true. The problem is that Liverpool were playing so much attacking, attractive footie they forgot about
    defence. Enter Houllier....

Mike.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will Keane announce a surprise retirement?

Could happen alright. United will bring in a max of 2 players, possibly a goalkeepr, The bald eagle is too small, and a striker.

Real played probably one of the best 45 minutes by a team for years in the CL, even the scouse Mark Lawerence (spelling!) admited that he had not seen a better display.
    In Uniteds defence that team would have made any team look poor on Tuesday, with maybe the exception of Barca, Real have been jekyll and hyde this season, Tuesday was there top of the top performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by mike65
    er, not true. The problem is that Liverpool were playing so much attacking, attractive footie they forgot about
    defence. Enter Houllier....

Mike.

Spot on there Mike, hit it on the head.

I can well see Keane retiring, if not this year then definately next year. Utd could do with another striker seen as how Fergie is adament of using Ole as a super sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Do not get me wrong I think Real were very impressive and deserved their win, but does noone else think people are reading ab it too much into one match. Real were top drawer and Zidane and co prtoduced three good goals and many silky touches. However, despite the fact that barr Ruud, all uniteds players played fairly poorly, they still created more chances on target then Real during the course of the ninety minutes. Also I thought that up till reals second goal united were as good as them. I am backed up by Big Ron and Clive Tyldesly in this which is not very reassuring but I will stand by it. Then Real turned it on fro about forty minutes, and for the last 15-20 minuted either team could have scored. I think united have it in them to beat Real by two goals in Old Trafford, and cannot wait for the second game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

united have the resources to beat any team in the world!!! but fergie has to sign a new keano,imo id love to see steven gerard in a man utd shirt, Keane is not the player he was b4 his injury and i can see him retiring soon, united should be keeping an eye on the bottom three teams cos there is some good talent been relegated and will be looking for a move!!! as for the real match united will beat them in old trafford but fergie has to start john o shea!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i imagine he will seeing as G Neville is out, tho it kind of depends on wether JOS is fit...
    Any one know how he is after the newcastle game?
    and keane/giggs for that matter.

I know Keane had just a dead leg but will he be back for the arses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Keane should be fit for arsenal game, but O Shea, Beckham and Giggs are all suspect with Hamstring strains. I heard that Fergie has earmeked O Shea as the new Roy Keane type role. From what I have seen he could do it, but that is alot to put on the shoulders of such a young man.

indeed it is, but i agree with you, he'd be well able for it in time :)

great feet, ball control, good tackling, strength and irish. What more do you need? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Braz

Does anyone rate the Neville Bros? Which would you rather have playing, Gary or Phil? or neither?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i think that the nevilles are dyer. How has Gary got 52 caps for england i will never know. He wouldn't make the ireland squad. We have carr, kenna, kelly and finnan all better than him. [Rant 1 finished]

I was just wondering, 4 years ago after united won the CL why didn't they do what real did. United had loads of money , they could have easily built the side real have now. All those class players could be at manchester instead they are playing the most attractive football ever in spain.

I blame Fergie and I think he is well past it. He can't play the transfer market at all. I personally think that this is Fergies last season and wil take a seat upstairs to perhaps show the ropes to someone new. Dave O'Leary. (only kidding!!)

Regards

Real have a mountain of debt which is ever increasing. That is why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its a known FACT that Fergie wanted to buy players after the ECL victory, however United cant/wont pay the wages that these big names command.

Fergie - past it ? Yeah right, United are going to win the Prem again and if they turn over Real tonight, they'll be in the semi's again. You call that past it.

Oh and Fergie wont be "going upstair".

Gary Nev is a great player, most capped CL player ever, with a winners medal, where's Gary Kelly's ?

Never head as much rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Its a known FACT that Fergie wanted to buy players after the ECL victory, however United cant/wont pay the wages that these big names command.

Well thats down to the management but over the last 2 seasons Fergie HAS spent about 130million. Two of these players have been awful buys, in my opinion, for the money he spent on them. Thats why i think he is past it. I am not saying they won't win anything but he doesn't know where to put his money. I agree that Van Nis. is a great buy but spending around 45million each for veron and ferdinand is a joke. Newcastle spent a third the cost of ferdinand on Woodgate and is playing very well for newcastle.

Fergie - past it ? Yeah right, United are going to win the Prem again and if they turn over Real tonight, they'll be in the semi's again. You call that past it.

If they win the prem and cl fair play to them and i am set to win 500e. So if they do hehehe.
    Oh and Fergie wont be "going upstair".

Why? Director of Football perhaps.
    Gary Nev is a great player, most capped CL player ever, with a winners medal, where's Gary Kelly's ?

Gary Neville is not on Fergies first team anymore. O'Shea has taken his place. Gary Neville is hopeless. Look at him against Man City. A couple of weeks ago against Real he looked to be in a totally different league. Fortunately he is suspended tonight so perhaps united have a chance.
    Gary Kelly plays for leeds and i think he is captain not sure if he is anymore tho. And he has played in the CL.
    Never head as much rubbish.

I guess you are a united fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement