Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this WAP or 'proper' net access?

• 10-04-2003 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Right Lads,

I seem to have a (very) minor problem.
    On my phone (SE P800) I have 2 menus :
    1 for Internet accounts (E-Merge GPRS WAP and VodafoneMMS GPRS)
    1 for WAP accounts (E-Merge GPRS WAP and VodafoneMMS GPRS)

Now i don't need/want WAP - I want full blown internet access.
    I seem to have this over the "E-Merge GPRS WAP" as i can access any page i wish (boards.ie for example) including full graphics.
    My logs say that i used E-Merge GPRS WAP to do this - basically i want to know if boards.ie is accessable over WAP or did i use a 'proper' internet connection to do this?

tribble

also what is this HCSD (spelling?) malarky (spelling?) and is it a cheaper way to access the net.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

sorry should have made meself clear - i know what it is and even how it works but not it's merits vs. GPRS over Vodafone Prepay

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

HSCSD vs GPRS

this thread may be of some help

main difference is how you are charged HSCSD per second vs GPRS per KB, also you draw more power from the phone for a HSCSD connection, and SonyEricsson handsets are limited to 28.8kbits/s for HSCSD (Nokia go up to 43.2kbits/s)

hth,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Thanks Dub (was wondering when you'd show up :))

but what about the first question i posed - can i access a full colour graphical site with WAP or is my "E-Merge GPRS WAP" connection really a proper net connection after all?

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the Internet accounts is where you set up access points / dial-up connections - the WAP accounts is where you select one of the Internet accounts and enter in WAP specific configurations like the Gatewap IP address

the WAP Gateway will allow you to send requests out to regular websites - the P800 (internal) browser will format the results back really well as it is pretty powerful (supports WAP 2.0, HTML, XML and cHTML) compared to say the 7650's internal browser (only supports WAP 1.2.1) which can't handle 'proper' web sites very well stripping out graphics, and formatting the content back one screen at a time

but it's not a full internet connection like you would have dialing up from you pc at home - you are going through the WAP Gateway (Proxy Server) so are limited to what it can support - for instance use can't use it to check your pop/imap email

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement