Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 10-04-2003 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Thinking of buying one, anybody got anything negative to say about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

cant really say anything about them, only know one person that own's one, he's pretty happy with it. There is a lot of them around on the streets although

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

There is nothing wrong with them at all except the fact you will be mistaken for a taxi* every weekend :)....

Being serious they are a sound car and I have never heard anything bad about them.

* To avoid this get the RS :D

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I think they look cool enough and are reliable etc...

Just don't get the 1.4L, over 15 secs 0-60 :( that is chronically slow :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    I think they look cool enough and are reliable etc...

Just don't get the 1.4L, over 15 secs 0-60 :( that is chronically slow :eek:

yeah Ive heard that about the 1.4.

The octavia is a very heavy car as are all VW's, so a minimum 1.6 would be recommended, but id go for the TDI if i were you, they are lovely cars to drive.. too one for a test drive not so long ago..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I'm on my 2nd Octavia. Great car and a lot of car for the money. You name it, it has it.
    I've a GLXi 1.6, bought new in 2000 with 45,000 miles on the clock and no major problems so far. A few little things but nothing to write home about.
    It has a great boot, and maybe that's why they're popular with taxi drivers.
    And I'm thinking about trading up for a new Octavia, but my wife is not sure about it. She's a bit snobbish about the badge. But I don't care - it's a bloody great car.

But if I had the money I'd go for an RS.

SKODA OCTAVIA 1.8 TURBO RS 5 dr Hatchback
    € 26,330
    5HA%20RS.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What about the smaller car??

I was thinking about buying one

I was going to go for one of :

Ford Fiesta
    Skoda - cant remember name
    VW polo
    Opel Corsa
    P 306

I remember reading about what skoda did at some motor show
    they took their name badge of their car and asked questions about it .. most people really liked it, but when they told them it was a skoda I think around 1/2 changed their minds

do ya reckon most Irish ppl accept Skoda??
    well I remember slagging off lada's when I was a boy, but I know that the same lada jokes were skoda jokes in England

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

they're great yokes, especially the TDIs

the only reason I could never own one is the honking great big hazard light switch that is 4 times bigger than it needs to be, red, and in the middle of an otherwise classy dash.

Have you considered the Seat toledo?

Personally I think they look slightly nicer than the octavia.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

A friend's father has one, and I've been in it a few times. Not a bad car - huge boot is handy - but the rear legroom is pathetic, and I consider the ride very harsh, especially from the back seat.

If you plan to carry adults in the back on a remotely regular basis, I suggest you go elsewhere. At the end of the day, the octavia is just a golf with a big boot and less legroom in the back, and a lower price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by PH01
    It has a great boot

yeah, I remember that when my m8 was showing me his car.... its HUGEEEE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

go for it m8 - it's a VW bora but better equipped and around €3k less for basic models new (and better looking imo)

don't go for it if ur a snob about the badge and/or ur ignorant of fact that skoda is owned by VW since 1991

Advertisement