Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HARDEST GAME ever :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I'll second commando's.

Tomb Raider 3 was tough, in a "how many more joypads do I have to break" kind of way.

The goonies on the C64.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES, never could find my way off the 3rd? level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Contra on the Cube is difficult.

Even Retrogamer can't finish it...and that's saying something.

All pc games are easy :) ...relatively

Contra:shattered soldier much like any contra game, isn't hard, its just a simple matter of learning the patterns, thats it. Shattered soldier is even easier than the other contras as you can lock the gun position which eliminates any aim problem.

It can be a bit unforgiving only giving you 3 lives in normal mode, but it really doesn't matter, if you lose more than that before the 3rd stage you won't see the game as without an A grade you can't actually complete the game. Once you learn the numerous boss patterns, you can drill the game, altho gaining the last ending requires getting 100% on every level, which is HARD :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll second those rogue-alikes, unless you're really, really careful you'll get butchered in short order.

Oni had some really tough battles in it, generally when there were more than 3 guys with guns to deal with at once.

And if you want hard, then play Thief on the expert level. Being allowed to kill just one person would make it so much easier... Of course, I managed to finish both, but I only played about 1/2 to 3/4 of both games on expert(yeah, I'm a wuss, I don't care!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

actually i take back what said about max payne being really easy. Well it is pretty much the first time u play it, but then if u play it on new york minute its preyy hard, ust cuz of the time thing. Didn't really play it to much on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Body Harvest on N64 (the idea and inspiration for Bf1942 and GTA3 lonnnnnngggg b4 they were even thought about)
    Thats the hardest game ever.
    Anyone who played this beauty of a game will know what i mean but its one BIG flaw made it insanely difficult no save points and possible 5 OBJ per level so if you completed 4 and had to *typical scenario* fly a b52 bomber into a attack spot land it take a tank and blow the big alien apart all the while keeping the civilian kill count down so the really big alien couldnt spawn and put out a fire with the firetruck and all in like 1 minute.
    If you failed you had to do the whole lot over again.

Damn hard game never beat it meself and 6 years later i still try to.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Populous: The Beginning. It was possible to cruise through the first four levels on autopilot but then you hit the horrible brick wall of level 5 and the difficulty curve took a distinctly verticle angle. That was only level 5 of 25 too.
    Only ever rented Body Harvest but yeah it was damn hard. I kept sliding into the sea by mistake and by the time the water got up to your ankles you'd drowned.
    I also thought Splinter Cell was pretty damn tricky especially with the frankly infuriating message: "Thats one alarm too many, the missions over."
    Hardest moment for me ever was Goldeneye, Aztec or Control (god damn you Natalya) on 00 difficulty. Took me absolutely months to crack those levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I got as far as level 11 in Populous: The Beginning I think. It was a level with about 3 enemy tribes and they attack you at once from all bloody sides.. Impossible! Haven't played that in ages actually might reinstall it someday.

Just recently the Omega Pirate on hard mode in Metroid Prime is a pain in the ass. I'm trying to get 100% this time around I actually missed alot of stuff the first time because I didn't scan everything.

Welp I managed to finish Populou: The Beginning and it's add on pack which was no small feat, took bloody ages.
    That Omega Pirate took me long enough on normal, god knows how long it'd take me on hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks Praetorian for really embarrassing me. Contra on PS2 (not cube) is definitely not the hardest game ever. Contra 3 was much harder. I haven't finished it because i only had it 2 weeks and hardly played it since suikoden has taken over my life.

I didn't find the bosses in Metroid Prime all that hard only the last boss really but that is due to me being very experienced with retro konami/capcom/nintendo style bosses.

Max payne wasn't hard especially with the built in cheat: Quicksave! :D

Super ghouls and ghosts was a right bitch, especially since there wasn't even a password save and the game was very long.

However the award goes to R-type 1 and 2. Even using the after level save and credit feeding on the PS version I only got to the last bosses but have never beaten them.

Theres a new R-type to beunveiled at E3. Hope it's as good as delta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Vertical shooter games made by capcom and psyiko after 1993. Its stupid, they usually give you a level, maybe 2 where they make you think its a feasable chance you might get thru the game with a few credits. Where, in reality it will take about 1000.

Games like Mars matrix, gigawing (not the worst but still bugger hard), dimahoo, ikaruga (i downloaded a movie of a japanese guy completing this without dying, he claimed he'd played it for over 100 hours)
    A far cry from 1943 where you maybe ha to dodge 3 to 4 bullets at a time.....try 300-400 at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Last action hero = snes

tomb raider 3 = only cause it was so ****ing dull that once i got lost , i decided to never touch it again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Commandos 1&2 [pc]

Crazi hard they are ffs.

SoF2 w/Realism Mod

Halo. Legendary. It was well worth it though for that bonus snippet at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

1.Giants:citizen kabuto, thats damn near immposible due to the fact you cant save in a level.

2.Black and white.

3.commandos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i think the konami game mentioned in the very first post was probably axelay which is gay annoyin
    viewpoint pisses me off a lot too
    but i dont have patience

Black and White wasn't hard in the proper way, it was only hard because it was buggy and had a crappy game dynamic. There's a difference between hard and just plain unfair and I think Black and White falls into the latter category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 repoman_666

I have a real problem with the end of level bosses in Sonic games. I can collect tons of rings during the levels but when it comes to the big fights I'm crap.

Usually end up with one or two rings.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga 500 was the most impossible game I have ever played, I couldn’t clear it without the invincibility cheat!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Super Monkey Ball gets insanely hard very quickly, remeber when we were playin that on medium Tusky? ouch..

most puzzle games get hard towards the end, anyone remeber Zoop? i just couldnt get the hang of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Sloth
    Halo. Legendary. It was well worth it though for that bonus snippet at the end.

Ah yes... That ending was good...( I dunno how to do spoilers thingys!) Halo was still great fun on legendary, if not more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by nesthead
    Super Monkey Ball gets insanely hard very quickly, remeber when we were playin that on medium Tusky? ouch..

most puzzle games get hard towards the end, anyone remeber Zoop? i just couldnt get the hang of it
    aye super monkeh ball 2 is much harder though !

Again I'd say that Monkey Ball 2 wasn't actually harder than the first one, it was just more unfair. A lot of the levels were just too damn random (remember launchers or arthropod?). I think this was mainly due to the fact that there were too many moving pieces in the new levels as opposed to before where the levels were mostly static which was a shame because for the first one I felt the only thing you needed was skill, I mean there was no randomness to them whereas in 2 the main thing you needed was lashings of luck.
    Oh and Rnger you might want to put a spoiler around that Halo tidbit as anyone battling through it now might come across that and have the greatest secret ending of all time revealed to them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Monkey ball was simple after you got infinite continues. Only got a lend of this off a friend but I think I could only get to level 21 (expert) without losing a continue. Advanced mode was piss easy :)

Floor 7 - If i'm thinking of the right one its a bollocks. The one with the very long and REALLY narrow path before the end? Made me go insane a few times.

Yup thats the one. It also had those really thing ramps that you had to go up as well as that chequered floor. I could only ever finish it with about 2 seconds left on the clock and when I hit that ten seconds mark on that horrible thin snaking bit at the end it was quite possibly one of the tensest experiences of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The original Rick Dangerous. Bloody hell. Never got past level two.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Splinter Cell, too hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

How did I forget Rick Dangerous on C64 ? Brutal tough.

Also the final level of Syndicate on PC, Atlantic Accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Still haven't finished GoldenEye on 00 Agent setting - fuking Control level is impossible

Speaking of the C64, I remember Bionic Commando being nightmarishly difficult. Navy SEALs (sp) was wicked hard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The very first game I bought was a text jobby called mines of moria ... I played it for weeks ... never got to finish it though ... that balrog was insane ... he'd jump right up beside you, belt the crap out of ya ... and then before you had a chance to do anything he was gone ... to another level! ...ba$tard....
    It came on a single 51/4" floppy (back when floppies were floppy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

think the hardest game i've played has to be Warhammer:Shadow of the Horned Rat on the psx. Oh and commandos 2 on the pc too.

Advertisement