Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Current Account ?

Options
  • 10-04-2003 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

What is the best (personal) current account available at present in Ireland ?

i.e. A current account which provides all the usual - ATM Card, Laser (or Meastro) Card and Cheque book.

And, most importantly, has the lowest (or no) banking charges.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I guess you are with AIB then... 7.5 ? euro per quarter and 30c per transaction mandatory after July. 60 years and students are ok.

I think you could try:http://www.irish-nationwide.com/branch.html
    for one. I'm snagged for now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Aib's electronic transactions cost 20c, its paper transactions that cost 30c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Ulster Bank's regular current account (not the U-First one) give you ATM/Laser card, online banking, cheque book and free banking each quarter so long as you do not overdraw in that quarter. (Some charges are applied, cheque book duty, card duty, once-off direct debit set-up fee etc, but these are minimal)

I bank with them but do not work for them or have any other association with htem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I have a grad acc with BOI (simply cause its the only way to get my money on pay day!) since I was a graduate I got 18months, I do everything online .. teh only time I went to the bank is to deposit cheques and to pick up a laser card.

Though their online service is pretty crappy

I have a savings acc with EBS .. i like that acc simply cause I pay nothing for any transactions I do

I really hate the idea of paying people to make a profit on my money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yep, hamster - I WAS with AIB - not anymore though , closed my account last week.

I was planning to open an NIB Freebanking account, but it seems that unless you are putting a seriously large pay cheque into the account each week/month, you don't qualify for freebanking !

In the UK people don't have to pay ANY fees on their account transactions.
    Apparently, some of the banks in the UK introduced fees some years back but a lot of people moved their accounts, so the fee charges were then abolished.

I closed my account as much on principle as because of the new AIB fee charges.

We need to stop being ripped-off in this country :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I have a credit Union account. I had a credit union ATM card - this cost €10 per year to the CU + government taxes.

Credit Unions have discontinued this service. They may bring it back.

I have an account with the AIB but with fees coming in - I will change.

I would prefer the CU. I don't live near an Ulster Bank or NIB.

I surpose EBS is a possibility - It is more of an insurance office combo but it will beat paying fees to AIB.

Advertisement