Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First boot error

• 11-04-2003 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

System is:

Asus a7n266-vm Motherboard
    1.3Ghz Duron
    256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    40GB HD

After much hassle with my new a7n266-vm, I have finally got the OS installed, XP pro.

No problems during installation, but now during its first boot, I see the the windows screen, then a error message flashs on the screen and it reboots.

The error message is to fast to read much, but I know it say "virtual memory" in it. Any suggestions?

I have searched and found this:

"Most FBA errors are caused by low memory situations—devices with limited memory and no page file. In that case, you should increase the amount of memory on the device, or if possible, add a page file."

Now I have pc2700 memory elsewhere, I dont think this will work, so does anyone know how to "add a page file"?

Also I found this suggestion:

"Reduce the number of features in the runtime by disabling or deleting components from your configuration"

how can I do this, if the machine wont even boot?

Thanks for any suggestions, comments in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

... Try Booting in safemode.

... Rip all all the hardware except the HDD and the video card and re-install the OS. add back bits then one by one until you find the offending piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you can get into safe mode, go to system properties, advanced, startup/recovery and untick auto reboot. Then reboot into normal mode and it should keep the error on screen and not reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

I tried re-booting in safe mode, but it rebooted itself again.

I only have a modem attached, because it is onboard sound and graphics.

I was having problems with the motherboard, where it wouldnt do anything, no beebs on powerup yet cpu fan was on. So I changed the jumpers, to make the CPU/RAM 133/100, and this got it going.

I am going to re-install OS now without the modem and mouse, any other suggestions please?

Advertisement