Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing vxd files on win 95 computer

• 11-04-2003 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right its a old crock but my uncle dosnt want to fork out for a better/new'r system

the system dosnt start now cause its saying that it cannot find these variously named files

it says i might need to run the windows setup again but if i just dl the files and put them in the right places will this fix the problom for me ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

That's quite hard to say.

vxd files are components of device drivers on Windows machines.

So 'somehow' this box has had some of it's driver's disappear (I know ... only on a Windows box)...

The short and the long of it is that you should be able to restore the vxds.

For example you could use the extract command to try extracting the files from the windows cab files on your installation CD.

However, from experience in tech support, you could spend half an hour extracting one vxd from a cab (with an end luser over the phone) just to find you had any number of missing vxd and dlls.

This can happen because of virii (common) or because of hardware faults like hard disk crashes (common and likely on a box old enough to be running Windows 95).

So, make life easy on your self. Get a copy of 2k, back up your uncle's data and install 2k, because basically Windows 95 is not worth the effort you would have to put into it, to get it running properly again.

You could for example format and reinstall doze 95 and find out that you had a USR 33600* ..... and have the telepath.ctl problem... and then you could fsck around with that problem (apres reinstall) for hours....

Lecture : ends.

*The first and 'only' Winmodem as far as I know to run at 33.6k and is upgradeable to 56k (since it's a winmodem) via new drivers. The original drivers shipped with most '95 distros 'had' to be installed in a particular way, else a format of the pc was necessary to rectify, since the uninstallation procedure was broken..... sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

and i'm feeling gooood, dum dah dum dah dum dah dum da da da dum dah dum dah dum dah dum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thx for that typedef dont think it would take 2k tho due to the min requirments tho i did see it on a p133 once a well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I doubt the machine elexes is talking about would be able to touch 2k the way he's talking about it.
    I've got an old PC like that that acts as the family computer. When I had to reinstall it, I put 98 on it. (I'm not near it often enough to even consider taking my sisters precious mp3 space for Linux ;) )

And yes it has a USR 36000 too which thinks it's a 56k modem following a bit of tweaking.

Edit: Thats even older than I thought it would be while posting ... It should be grand for 98 tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yes a Win 9x is 'better' suited to the hardware, but, you still get all the endemic problems of Win 9x... namely instability.

So long as you don't mind BSOD, yeah, fine go with 9x.

If you could find a recent version of NT 4.0, I'd almost use that before 9x... plus, NT 4.0 should be friendler to your hardware then >=2k.

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

What vxd files exactly ?

I know that the PRETTY_PARK virus changes some REGEDIT entries so that windows thinks it needs FILES32.VXD to run applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cant help much without the vxd file names...
    If its vmm32.vxd then feck off and format/deltree and reinstall.. otherwise if its anything else you should be able to fix usually..
    Can you get into safe mode? Make sure you let us know what the vxd's in question are.

Typedef :D I think you made a little spelling mistake on the good ole usr 33600 issue.. should be telepath.cpl (control panel extension). Ah i remember the days... Anyway if it is that issue there is no need to format.. piss easy to fix as long as you do fix exactly right!

Advertisement