Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have FTV cards been removed from the "Update" loop?

• 11-04-2003 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

It seems Sky have recently removed all the FTV card Update signals from the signal loop, to make extra bandwidth for the Subscription cards.
    The reasons I think this is
    1: The "online" led hasn't flashed in about a month. (It only starts flashing when you insert the Subscription card.)
    2: My old Welsh card won't reactivate any more. ( I returned to it after about 3 months to watch the International.)
    I left it in for about 2 days and no channels come back.
    3: My old Scottish FTV card has been idle for a month and a half and still works. (My main card is the NI card) .
    4: I called the BBC FTV line up two weeks ago and was told they are not switching off the Old FTV cards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have a friend who is now waiting THREE MONTHS for his new Sky to do RTE/BBC

Summit up down 't mill lads...

Sky are not too likely to explain what the problem is, but they do seem to having serious problems with new cards. Remember even the start of distribution wasa delayed twice.

I'd suspect any Card (FTV or Sub) that has missed an update key is not going to go unless FTV centre / Sky is pestered.

No doubt it will be sorted eventually and older inactive cards will wake up if left in box eventually!

I have read a huge number of reports of both disused card not reactivating and new sub cards or replacement cards not activating properly.

Glad I'm not the SW team leader on that project :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dupe

I had a similar problem where C4 and C5 dissappeared from my FTV card. All the BBC channels and ITV were available. It took about 4 days leaving the FTV card in the box before they returned. This seemed inordinately long time in comparison to previous occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Watty get your friend to order a replacement card its the only way to cure the RTE problem

Originally posted by watty
    I have a friend who is now waiting THREE MONTHS for his new Sky to do RTE/BBC

Summit up down 't mill lads...

Sky are not too likely to explain what the problem is, but they do seem to having serious problems with new cards. Remember even the start of distribution wasa delayed twice.

I'd suspect any Card (FTV or Sub) that has missed an update key is not going to go unless FTV centre / Sky is pestered.

No doubt it will be sorted eventually and older inactive cards will wake up if left in box eventually!

I have read a huge number of reports of both disused card not reactivating and new sub cards or replacement cards not activating properly.

Glad I'm not the SW team leader on that project :D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

How can you tell the difference between an expired Sky card and an FTV card? Is it something to do with the telephone number on the back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

How can you tell the difference between an expired Sky card and an FTV card? Is it something to do with the telephone number on the back?

Correct,the FTV card gives the BBC number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Watty get your friend to order a replacement card its the only way to cure the RTE problem

That can be easier said than done too! I had activated yet another dodgy P2 card and I had to ring them to request a replacement. The person on the other end was having none of it! She said that they'd be on in a few hours, despite me saying that I have seen this too many times and knew that it wouldnt. Anyway, she wouldn't have it replaced saying to ring back if they didnt come on! She obviously knows more about installing Sky in ROI than I do so who was I to argue! :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Told him lots of times he should demand new card. I think he is very patient or easily fobbed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by irishbyte
    That can be easier said than done too! I had activated yet another dodgy P2 card and I had to ring them to request a replacement. The person on the other end was having none of it! She said that they'd be on in a few hours, despite me saying that I have seen this too many times and knew that it wouldnt. Anyway, she wouldn't have it replaced saying to ring back if they didnt come on! She obviously knows more about installing Sky in ROI than I do so who was I to argue! :rolleyes: :mad:

I find women at these call centers read strictly from the hymm sheet, keep ringing till you get a man, who knows what he's talking about - Its worth it!! -By the the way, I'm NOT sexist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

All the BBC channels went from my FTV card (I swap on a sub box) the other week, I rang the FTV number and punched in the number of my card , I didn't even leave the card in during the evening just put it in when I went to bed that night and the next day when I got home from work BBC was back! Lovely hurling!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    I find women at these call centers read strictly from the hymm sheet, keep ringing till you get a man, who knows what he's talking about - Its worth it!! -By the the way, I'm NOT sexist

Well I had to ring back today, and got through to a male, who indeed listened to me and believed that I knew what I was talking about and instantly arranged for another card! The existing card was deactivated within 2 minutes! :)

That's not to say that a woman personnel wouldn't do it either, though the previous one wouldnt! Some do stick too much to the guidelines (if they have any):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I found out an easy way to reactivate BBC cards all you have to do is disconnect the box from the mains and hold down the backup button on the front panel of the box and plug back in the mains and keep the backup button pressed until all of the light on the front of the box come on. It will stay like that for ten minutes and then go in to standby. Now it should have all the beebs and ftv channels.
    Worked for me hope it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

WOW it did work thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement