Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance running and pace

• 11-04-2003 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

I want to increase the pace on my long runs. Should I (A) lengthen my stride (B) increase the number of strides per minute? Which is more effective, efficent and easier?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'd say increase number of strides per minute...

(correct me if im wrong im only learning at the moment)

Each time your foot hits the ground you slow down slightly. also id imagine increasing your stride length might not make running as comfortable. Although perhaps that's remedied by ensure that you dont overstretch/increase stride length too much.

I personally find that it's easier/more efficient to increase the number of strides per minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers all, I gave increasing strides per minute a lash and it seems more comfortable, and more maintainable. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Hey im a newbie to all this running stuff. I thought id just post here and not make a whole new topic.

Basically, I want to start running. But like, wat clothes would ye recommend I wear? I cycle a fair bit and just go out in a tracksuit bottom and a t-shirt.

As ye all know tho, concentrating on just one form of exercise can be boring. So id like to add running to my list of exercises :) indoor rowing, weight lifting, cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you're new to running take it easy to start, keep your mileage down for the first few weeks then build it up slowly, don't just jump in thats just asking for injuries. you might be fit enough to do the distances but if your body isn't used to the constant impacts and strains that long distance running places on it then you WILL get injured. I know I did.

AS for clothes, comfy shorts and a t-shirt regardless of the weather (well jsut this time of year)

• Advertisement
Advertisement