Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB gone AWOL - Help!

• 11-04-2003 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Disaster struck last night when I was fiddling with Windows XP boot screens and logon screens. My PC would boot up to the boot screen but then after a few seconds when I was expecting to see my new logon screen it would restart back at the post.
    After much fretting I managed to get things going again using recovery console through a Windows 2000 Server CD.
    Problem now is that USB no longer exists on my pc. There is no mention of USB devices or controllers in device manager.
    Is there any way to reinstall USB support without having to backup my 40 gigs of data, format and reinstall xp?
    Can I reinstall XP over my current installation without losing anything?
    Any suggestions that can save me a few hours of looking at progress bars will be most helpful!
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

XP will either upgrade your installation, or tell you that it's not an upgrade version and to bugger off. It's not going to reformat your hard disk without asking you, so don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Reinstall your usb with ur mobo drivers disk.
    Thats dont work and ya reinstall xp then u will loose all registry information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

It was in fact a very advanced problem that nearly had me beat.

In my panic to get booted I had set my BIOS to failsafe settings, which disables the board's USB controller.

Or, in short, a good old ID 10 T error.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement