Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network problem

• 11-04-2003 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Ive set up a home network (2 pcs both running xp home) using 2 nics and some cross over. I used xp's network wizard to network the pcs. Any way both pcs are sharing the same internet conncetion no bother but I cant share files, printer etc. (i have them set to be shared and they were sharing when I set up the network at first but after rebooting it wouldn't work ). Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I assume you've set up IP addresses in your TCP/IP protocol properties. Unless you did it all through the wizard?

Do you have file sharing set up on both systems?
    If you start the system without the file sharing enabled before the system with it enable then those settings may take precedence.
    did that make sense!! :confused:

You may also have to have guest accounts set up that don't use passwords.

You may need to check the permissions on the files you're sharing.

My xperience doesn't span to XP yet (I'm up to W2k) so things might be done a little differently to what I'm used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

2 things.. can you see both computers on the network?
    Also can they ping each other?

Chances are your ip's will be 192.168.0.x
    So do ipconfig from command prompt and get the IP's of both.. if VERY different then forget the wiz and specify yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

i can see both computers on the network on 1 of the pcs only. I can also ping one computer to the other but not the other way.

The Ips are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    i can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 but it times out from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2
    Is this strange or is there something simple wrong here?

i can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 but it times out from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2
    Do you mean it times out from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.1 or as you actually stated.. if you ping it times out?

Anyway something is wrong... Did you run the wizard again? I would suggest you remove and reload tcp/ip and make sure its bound to your network card.
    Also if you go to start, run type in: "msinfo32" (without quotes obviously!) then hit enter.

Click tools, net diagnostics, click scan your sys, see what it comes back with.. it might tell you whats wrong. Make sure the car itself passes.. then click the plus beside it and see if the ip address passes and so on.. look for fails unless they are obviously stuff that dont matter like mail and stuff. For a better test, click the scan options and tick everything except verbose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Make sure the following service protocols are installed on the LAN Connection: "Client for Microsoft Networks"and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks". Probably already on it but make sure.

• Advertisement

would the fact im using an internet gateway have anything to do with this. Does anyone know another way to network 2 pcs without using the xp wizard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have 3 PC's on my LAN and the internet doesnt interfere with printers or anything. Go into control panel and check if the device is still sharing

Originally posted by Callan
    would the fact im using an internet gateway have anything to do with this. Does anyone know another way to network 2 pcs without using the xp wizard
    Its easy.. you just use the network properties box, setup an ip address for each sys and make sure all the protocols are the same etc..

I ran the wizard again, everthing worked fine (printer sharing, file sharing and internet sharing) but after turning off the computers and turning them back only the internet sharing worked. Any ideas why after restarting the machines only the internet will work. Surely you don't need to leave the machines on all the time in order for this to work.

Advertisement