Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Kick-off. Give it a chance.

• 11-04-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Found this on dangerhere. Its interesting, and has a little less of the anti-Englishness that articles of this type are prone to.

Summer Football: Give the Chicken League a chance
    Larry Ryan gives you 10 reasons to visit an Eircom League ground near you this summer

1. Friday night football
    Nope, we're not buying that "quality is crap" excuse any more. You know a Friday evening trip to Dalyer has got to beat a night in watching the Victory Shield. What could be better? Coupla scoops after work, nice fish supper in Burdocks, live professional football for a tenner, and if you dawdle a bit after, Pat Kenny's half over when you get home. Magic.

2. Jump the bandwagon before it's too late
    Are you the kinda fella who lodged a wad of cash into First Active just after it became too late to get the free shares? Well don't make the same mistake again. Guarantee you, the National League bandwagon is about to pull away, so don't miss the last chance to get on. Give it six months and you'll be laughing at the Johnny Come Latelys when Bohs stuff Sturm Graz and draw Man U in the Champs League group stage.

3. The Dolan Factor
    So, a portly gentleman, renowned for his childlike love of football, has left familiar pastures to spread the word in the Peoples' Republic. And besides Gazza, Pat Dolan has made the move to Cork. And remember the drama the last time a Big Pat led a foray into Europe. Yep, she left poor old Roy and Peggy Mitchell in the lurch to cop off with Frank Butcher in Spain. Oh yes, Leeside's the place this year for quality entertainment for all the family. And not a Pauline Fowler in sight.

4. It's convenient innit?
    Well even a trip to Gortakeegan beats stumbling off the ferry onto a two hour bus trip to Liverpool/Leeds/Manchester, all the while stinking of your own vomit. And you never know, if you've got a big enough back garden, open the curtains every now and again. The Hoops are sure to play there at some time this season.

5. Beats watching Liverpool
    Glen Crowe or Emile Heskey? Billy Woods or Vladi Smicer? Kevin Hunt or Salif Diao? Wes Hoolahan or Igor Biscan?

6. See a decent Arsenal centre half
    Well an ex-Gunner stopper anyway. Take your pick Brian McGovern at Pats or Pat Scully at Drogheda. And then of course there's Big Pat, another former Gooner. Reckon all three are still better players than Igor Stepanovs.

7. Find out what the Sun have been on about
    Admit it, you've always wondered what the Irish Sun have been banging on about with their talk of Lims, Drogs, and Shams. OK, so you'll still be none the wiser, but at least you can confirm what you always suspected; that nobody at the games calls them that either.

8. The great chip war is about to kick off
    Overdosed on 24-hour Iraq? Never fear, the next great war is just around the corner as the Chicken League becomes the Fish and Chips League. Going pea supper to potato pie are the two great chip-making institutions of the land. In the Dub corner, you have Burdock's, newly installed in Dalyer and providing the curry power behind Bohs' Euro hopes. Then on Leeside, you have the purveyors of the finest breast, bag, and pie Munster can provide. Brian Lennox and the lads have already struck the first blow by attracting Big Pat from Burdock's catchment. Who's fat will be in the fire come November?

9. Better yourself
    Perhaps if you visit Lansdowne clad in Rovers rather than Celtic hoops, you won't find it quite so necessary to blackguard any unsuspecting foreigner with the most tenuous relationship with Glasgow Rangers. Go on, try it.

10. You know what you're getting
    Where ever you do turn up this season, you know there's a fair chance Tony Sheridan or Paul Byrne will be playing. And there's a 2/1 shout Dermot Kealy will be one of the gaffers. Oh, and what's the betting you'll bump into Noel KIng? That's done it, hasn't it? You'll never visit Highbury again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol. very fúcking funny.

it nearlt persuaded me to give up my 'live premier matches on sky sports for a £1 a year' deal!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Damn work ,should be in Cork hoping to dear god we get a win :D
    Tbh 11 should be

11 Watch St Pats ,get old really quickly.

PFAI mag wasnt half bad in Mirror other day.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Didnt Pats bring in a load of new young players? Or was that Shels?
    **** sake I always get them mixed up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Well even a trip to Gortakeegan beats stumbling off the ferry onto a two hour bus trip to Liverpool/Leeds/Manchester, all the while stinking of your own vomit. And you never know, if you've got a big enough back garden, open the curtains every now and again. The Hoops are sure to play there at some time this season.

rolf :D

:ninja: <--- where did that come from.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

:ninja: was born in the after hours stickied 'ever wanted to be a ninja?" thread.

And Im one of the Waterford UTD supporters. You can find me with the bunch of lunatics in a certain corner that dont stop singing/shouting usually.

Good craic tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

And Im one of the Waterford UTD supporters. You can find me with the bunch of lunatics in a certain corner that dont stop singing/shouting usually.

Good craic tbh

Ever since taking Waterford UTD to later stages of the champions leage in CM01/02 I've been slightly pro waterford too :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by kamobe
    Ever since taking Waterford UTD to later stages of the champions leage in CM01/02 I've been slightly pro waterford too :p
    Hah... I done the same with Dundalk! Then I had to play Real Madrid!! :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Bateman
    And you never know, if you've got a big enough back garden, open the curtains every now and again. The Hoops are sure to play there at some time this season.

ROFFLE MAYO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

By any chance did bray somehow miraculously avoid relegation and get promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

No, Bray are playing in Div 1 this season.

The live TV game was appalling, but some of it can be put down to opening day nerves, inexperienced players, and the negative bastard Dolan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

A game between Dolan's team and Dolan's former team was always going to be $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Can anyone tell me how much an adult and a school kid tickets to Tolka Park would cost?
    Even a guesstimate?

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Roughly €10 and €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shels are ripoff bástards if your about 25 you should have got a labour card sent to you years ago use in Tolka even if you work gets you in for €7 (yes i hate those bástards that much).

Most other grounds charge 7 or 8.

I didnt see the match was in work but heard it was appalling both sides very negative especially Cork.
    Oh well one point closer to safety :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I'll definately be heading up to Dalymount a bit this season.

It's difficult to persuade your mates to come with you though with a nice summer and some attacking play all round the league could really take off.

Advertisement