Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a website what Questions ????

Options
  • 11-04-2003 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

What questions would you ask a potiental client about setting up there website .

I have a meeting tonight and im a bit rusty

the Client is into Property.

Dec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

probably a bit late but the questions I ask

how many pages do you envision
    what kind of design do you
    search engine registration
    w3c compliant
    usability (what browsers, platforms)
    database driven site (give examples or plus of going for this type of site)
    maintenance (does the client want you to maintain it or do they)

loads more, cant think of any

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you should also find out at some stage what kind of server side languages and databases 9if provided) will be used and find out if they are compatible with those on the current host (if there is one!)
    also find out what kind of email retreival system if any is in use by their network (again may not be relevant) - some e.g. Instagate are not supported by all hosts, and you want to be sure there is no slip up.
    Also discuss the issue of graphics development - sometimes the client assumes you are going to get all graphics and you may not have budgeted for this.
    Ensure that you get some kind of contract signed by them stating who does what and at what price. If you want I can stick mine up on the net - just reply here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I will need help with 3 parts of the Site

1/ CGI or Perl for Forms on the Site.

2/ The graphics

3/ the company wants a Forum on there site.

I am open to all quotes for any of the Above if some of you want to earn some extra cash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you could go to www.cgi-resources.com if you want pre-built applications. However you will not be able to test these on your own machine unless you have a CGI capable web server installed.
    If you are using windows I have plenty of applications built (mainly) in ASP that I could give you - e.g. forum example.
    email me if you want more info (info@kbannon.com)
    Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Check out this:

http://www.interactivetools.com/products/realtymanager/

Might be useful for you.

No point in re-inventing the wheel.

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

For the forum I would suggest one that uses a MySQL database for speed. Depending on your budget you could use a VBulletin board such as this one or choose an opensource one like phpBB2, you can find that at http://www.phpbb.com

For your form mail I would suggest Matt Wrights form mail you can get it at http://www.scriptarchive.com/ the script is in Perl and is easy enough to customise.

Graphics, not my field

The reality manager mentioned in the last post is a good script, but there are opensource ones, as I said it's really down to your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Apologies for 'pimping' but if you need a 'custom' perl/CGI solution created (i.e. not a standard e-mailer or something) PM me and I'll see what I can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by FreeHost

For your form mail I would suggest Matt Wrights form mail you can get it at http://www.scriptarchive.com/ the script is in Perl and is easy enough to customise.
    Matt's formmail is highly insecure and is banned by a lot of hosts - don't use it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by the Guru
    I will need help with 3 parts of the Site

1/ CGI or Perl for Forms on the Site.

2/ The graphics

3/ the company wants a Forum on there site.

I am open to all quotes for any of the Above if some of you want to earn some extra cash.

I'm interested in giving you hand with all of the above. I've PM'ed you. Email me back if you are interested in having a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Matt's formmail is highly insecure and is banned by a lot of hosts - don't use it

I would have said something like that myself last year; however, their later versions are quite secure and would stand up against a lot of commercial scripts. Have you looked at version 1.92

The referrers section of the script will only handle data from the domain or IP designated. Check it out !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Be that as it may it's still on a lot of hosts' banlists

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Matt's Formmail is handy and harmless for simple forms.

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try and use it for credit card details etc.

If you don't get help from any of the others send me a pm Guru.

Advertisement