Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Combat ... now more popular then BF

Options
  • 11-04-2003 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

DesertCombat 0.3 is now up to over 350.000 downloads and up to 6000 players online at any given moment.
    That's currently more then BattleField1942 itself, wow. With all these players going to war, we have been finding bugs here and there and some balance issues that we are hard at work on.
    Within a few weeks we should have a new release of DesertCombat coming to you.
    Details of the patch will be released soon and we thank everyone for there bug submissions and suggestions.

Until then, happy fraggin and I'll see you online,

Frank DeLise
    DesertCombat
    Founder

Yes. DC is now as popular if not more then BF1942. I have to admit I do play DC more then BF at the moment :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Not another

BLOODY PATCH FOR DESERT COMBAT

Sorry but if any other patches come out for either BF or desert combat ill think ill do the ARAB stomp and throw my shoes at DICES headquaters, thatll teach em

Desert combat peeps please for god sake if your gonna release another patch make sure its the last one for ages

RANT OVER
    SHIN

BF1942 the most patched game in history NEARLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I like new patches, they make changes and keep everything fresh so to speak. Look forward to new weapons/aircraft/tanks aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by shinzon
    BF1942 the most patched game in history NEARLY
    Clearly never heard of Tribes 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

i did say nearly

lol

shin
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I've tried DC.3 now for a while....

It is much more fun than the 0.2 Version (because it is more balanced).

I like it and I like the "normal" BF.

To be honest: I still prefere the normal BF, the gameplay is better, the game performance is better, the net-performance is better (DC is laggy on most servers) and at least it is more balanced.

In DC there are still a lot of issues to be solved but they keep working on them, which is very good. and I don't care about new patches when they really improve the gameplay.
    If you are tired to load 150MB down, ask in the boards. Somebody will arrange to send you a CD....

Concerning the teamplay: You can forget to play these games "serious" without some coordination.
    It really drives me crazy when I play on a server and my teammates catch a tank to drive to plane, wait for planes and so on. They don't care about the game itself, they care about their kill-rate which is very stupid!
    You have this problem very often specially in DC because the planes are the most powerful weapons and everybody want to get a good score, which is very easy when you fly in DC.
    That is still the biggest issue in DC. The new maps (Day2 Day3) have improved this a little bit.
    For some basic coordination you don't need a communications software. Some basic commands (like: "I need re-enforcements") entered with the function-keys will do it. In most of the times you can forget to write a text message because the other players will receive it at the end of the game.

What "we" (we from the boards.ie) should do is to find a time, a server and then practice teamplay just with these basics.
    You will see that your "success-rate" will raise very fast.

Make some proposals... I will be there ;-)))

jow (now: [DC] jow) :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I downloaded DC a couple days ago and have been playing against bots to get used to it for Megalan (my home connection sucks :)).

It's good fun alright, the added lethality of the weapons should make it a blast at a LAN but where's the skillz? All the projectiles fly so fast it's basically point and click, especially in the air.

The helicopters take some getting used to, I can control them and fire accurately now but the control method is such that I find myself flopping around high in the air - easy meat for AA.

The ground attack aircraft are much better, especially the Frogfoot - it's bloody savage! The Warthog looks like it has identical weapons but it doesn't seem to handle as well for some reason.

The fighters are FAST! christ.. and the radar is well handy for dogfighting, however they're utter toss vs ground targets. The cannon aren't strong enough to eliminate a target on a typical attack run and the missiles have like zero blast radius and low damage also.

I guess they're just for taking out other aircraft? If that's the case they seem a bit boring as there aren't that many other aircraft in the air at any one time to deal with. Getting in behind the Spooky and shooting all the people inside it is fun though!

The Iraqis are at a disadvantage on the ground I reckon - the Scud is no match for the MLRS and that armoured car is totally outclassed by the Bradleys and the Humvees with TOW launchers.

Other things.. I really like the support class, but how come he can't pick up his mortar after he's finished using it in one location?

Is there location-based damage on the vehicles? If so is it different from the normal BF1942 model? I can't seem to figure it out, the bazookas just seem to bounce off the tanks in this game. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

(my home connection sucks :)).

More then mine? I doubt it

Yes, my favourite Jet there is in the game, the SU-25. I flew around wake on games2 on friday with one engine on fire for a while. Easy target for AA guns seeing as though i had only 10% health left or so. And if you see two planes, one on fire the other not people shoot at you :(
    The missiles arnt as effective as they should be. You could hit just 2 feet away from a guy and he wouldnt die, they really gotta work on that. Joystick throttle allows you to fly as a slow speed to to get good aim with the missiles.

Im not too sure about the morter. Id say they are working on getting it so that you can pick it up but what key to use? Id say have it like the landmines, use the rench to pick em back up. Morter can be very effective if positioned properly, just like the SCUD. A dangerous weapon if used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

My connection is over a wireless link to a mac laptop with a software modem. :) The fighters seem pretty pants, in a game I played a few minutes ago on El Alamein I fired all of my ammo and rockets into the AC-130 and it was still going strong. However the cannon on the SU-25 chews it up. I'll be sticking with it religiously from now on, it is teh 0wn. :)

btw, can a spec-ops guys spot for a mortar user? That would be pretty cool.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anyone with Benocks can spot, so spec ops, black hawk pilots, i think another one or two can spot, i cant remember and ive been playing it all weekend :(

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Winters
    Yes. DC is now as popular if not more then BF1942. I have to admit I do play DC more then BF at the moment :)

Hmm, I find that very hard to believe. Perhaps ASE doesnt carry all the servers DC is on, but I typically have the choice of 150 or so (mostly locked or empty) DC servers, or 2000 BF1942 servers. How, exactly can DC be more popular?

DC is pretty good, but in terms of balancing and playability its quite clearly amateurish compared to BF. Several of the weapons do WAAY to much damage while others are next to useless.

The fact they are talking about charging for it while they havent even put together a decent collection of original DC only maps is disturbing too.

I can play BF all day, DC gets annoying after an hour or so.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Well DC is only an Alpha and im sure they just got excited and jumped the gun talking about turning it into a seperate buyable mod. No doubt they'll have to put alot more effort in before its brought out retail. I agree tho, DC does need its own maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Clearly never heard of Tribes 2 :)

clearly never heard of quake2

Advertisement