Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing BIOS

• 11-04-2003 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Gateway 500 motherboard and a Dell Dimensions XPS Dxxx one aswell. I was running Sandra on them both, It recommended me to Flash the BIOS. I found the BIOS update for the Dell one. Could someone tell me if I'm in the right place.I have to look for the Gateway one.

Is it better to update the BIOS or what? Anyone tell me how to do it right I dont want to crock the board. I have never done it before..:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

not too surewhere to get the gateway flash. The main purpose of flashin the bios is to fix problems you might be having when encountering memory, graphics, sound, processor problems or anything that's to do with the motherboard. in some cases bios flashing has improved some computers, but don't expect significant change. If your upgrading the comps, the flashing the bios with the latest flash is recomended. Personally I don't flash my bios unless I'm having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm not having any problems with the system but the diagnostic tool I was using recommended to update the BIOS because it was over three years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I'm not having any problems with the system but the diagnostic tool I was using recommended to update the BIOS because it was over three years old.

The Maxim "If its not broken don't fix it" apply especially when flashing BIOS on motherboards. I've machines that have worked fine for years and years, but all that can be ruined in a instant if theres a problem while flashing. Flashing a BIOS is a last resort usually. Unless you can afford to replace the motherboard, or that its not a problem if the machine is kaput for a while. Thats said I've never had a BIOS flash go wrong but you hear some real horror stories about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Go here

put in your bios version!

Oh and dont bother if your sys is fine.. you dont want to wreck it do you? It can happen!

Just after doing that, I have both BIOS updates but I have been recommended no to do it unless its a last resort or something similar. If I was to do it what should I do and what should I be watching to try and prevent a improper flash?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

try and make sure thre are no power cuts :) if the machine dies while the bios is being flashed... could be nasty

Just after doing that, I have both BIOS updates but I have been recommended no to do it unless its a last resort or something similar. If I was to do it what should I do and what should I be watching to try and prevent a improper flash?

Follow the instruction to the letter. If they are not clear in any way, don't do it. Make sure you make a backup of the current bios before you flash the new one. Take your time and don't rush it. Sometimes it just doesn't work though. So be prepared for that outcome too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

aside from that, take what SANDRA says with a pinch of salt.

Apparently I have a Celeron in my laptop, yet, BIOS and CPUID tell me different!

it can be a handy tool, but its prone to cockups!

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Follow the instruction to the letter. If they are not clear in any way, don't do it. Make sure you make a backup of the current bios before you flash the new one. Take your time and don't rush it. Sometimes it just doesn't work though. So be prepared for that outcome too.

I have never gone near the BIOS before, could you tell me how I back up the current one. Is there any good webpages that explain this procedure?

I have never gone near the BIOS before, could you tell me how I back up the current one. Is there any good webpages that explain this procedure?

Its different for every motherboard manufacturer. As they generally use different software.

• Advertisement

What should I be looking for then? Dell support only had a file to download Its an application file. I think I'm suppose to extract it and put it on a floppy and boot the system with the disk in, would that be the procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

What should I be looking for then? Dell support only had a file to download Its an application file. I think I'm suppose to extract it and put it on a floppy and boot the system with the disk in, would that be the procedure?

Is there no readme.txt file with it ,on my comp I reboot with the floppy in and just type flash when I get to the A:/ prompt ,on the kids comp I just hit y to confirm I want to run the flash program ,depends on the bios ,

check for a readme after you extract it

Macker

I extracted it there are two applications DE542811 and MAKEDISK and a shortcut to MAKEDISK in the folder. No readme. What should I do now

Advertisement