Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ali G

• 12-04-2003 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

What did everyone think of his long awaited return?I thought it was pretty good,if not as good as his original series on Channel 4.He ought to get rid of the gay German fashion guy though,it just wasnt funny.But Borat still cracks me up and Ali himself did quite well,especially in his interview with Buzz Aldrin.One of the best lines was when he is training with the cops
    Cop-Ali,put out this report on radio.3 suspects,one black,one white.....
    Ali-Aii,we have 3 geezers.One brother,one honky.....
    Cop-You cant say that its racist etc etc
    And Ali replies with something like"I never heard of a honky that was hung like a donkey":D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

I think Bruno was Austrian , some funneh moments all the same, especially at new york fashion week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

I think it wasn't as good as the original. I think there should be an audience put in.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not as good as his previous C4 series but still funny and watchable nonetheless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Didn't Sacha Baron Cohen say he wasn't going to do Ali G any more? I really felt the guy sold himself out and thats why I didn't watch the new series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bruno existed before Ali G did. i remember seeing him in between programmes on the Paramount Comedy Channel a few years ago. it had me in bits laughing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

on one of the dvds if you push up on the main menu there is a hidden bruno clip where he interviews some english rock band ands once they confide in him that they hate gays he informs them he's gay, spunkin on the stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I dont think he can have another series in england, because anyone that went on his show were just hicks that would do anything to be on TV .. hamiltions, el fayed etc. and I dont think it works as well when people know they are being ridiclued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I thought it was gas. Saw it last night on E4. Bruno was one of the best bits in it. I'm still laughing about how he went out on the catwalk when the designer was taking a bow.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i thought it was great and the german fashion guy was great ! heh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the gay German fashion guy though

did anyone else think that he was right out of the Big Labowski??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Wickhmar

Ya, ze new show gets definitely a big Vassup!

\ /\ /
    \ / \ /
    \/ \/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    did anyone else think that he was right out of the Big Lebowski??

Are you talking about the Nihilists, or something else?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Samson
    Are you talking about the Nihilists, or something else?

yup - dat be them :D
    gimmie da money Labowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cop-Ali,put out this report on radio.3 suspects,one black,one white.....
    Ali-Aii,we have 3 geezers.One brother,one honky.....
    Cop-You cant say that its racist etc etc
    :D definitely the highlight of the show.
    borat was class as well "if she cheats on me i will crush her!"
    bruno was a bit of a let down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I thought it was feckin hilarious. The interview with Buzz Lightyear was classic. And Borat just cracks me up.

Bruno is the famous Austrian designer Crysler's muse. I thought he was ok, funny when he did the break-dancing move the whole way up the catwalk.

The bit right at the end was gas, when he asked that politician dude if he had seen Barely Legal 3 !!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I didn't see it last week but this time it was pretty crap. Borats national anthem really dragged and the UN and fasion parts weren't funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Ali-G joke is long dead and Bruno is a non-starter IMHO. Borat however still has some milage:

'In Kasakstan our national sport is to take a dog into the street and shoot it .... then we have a party' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Saw it last night, it was class.

Bruno was deadly, really made everyone in the fashion industry look a complete tit.

Borat in the mens' showers was hilarious.

But Ali G is at his level best, he had to get out of the UK, because nobody could be "done" by him anymore.
    If you remember Dennis Penace, it was the same thing, people wanted to be sent-up by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i watched it tonight on E4. the only really funny bit was with Borat. i also got to see some of the dickheads that work in the fashion industry. i am sure that they were not happy when that show was on in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Sloth
    Didn't Sacha Baron Cohen say he wasn't going to do Ali G any more? I really felt the guy sold himself out and thats why I didn't watch the new series.

You should at least give it a chance before you decide not to watch it. I thought both episodes were amazing- I liked all the clips: Ali G, Borat and Bruno!
    Do you think the dumb Americans will actually get most of the jokes? A lot of them are based around European stereotypes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

"Jagshemash! Hello ... I like you."

This new AliG show is funny. I expect that if this was the first AliG show that most people had seen, then they would find it very amusing. It's easy to become jaded with our ever-so-short attention spans and what-not. ;)

Borat is definitely tops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

"but if she cheat on me I crush her.."

"Safe, Safe..."

"Woz it legal?"

I think its brilliant. All three characters are great,. i thought the second episode was better than the first. Borat and aliG are as good as ever. Great idea to introduce a new character.

Ive been watching aliG since the 11 o clock show on Ch4 and he still cracks me up!

Anyone know of any sites with transcripts or even selected quotes from the new series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i thought it was real funny. you people are too objective, it made me laugh, borat is classic. loosen up!!!:p

I saw the 2nd episode on E4 t'other nite, it was as funneh as de 1st one i thought. Although I think Ali G should stop interviewing people that nobody ever heard of. I myself don't care if he takes the pish out of Joe Bloggs, ex-blah of the blah blah.
    Yer man Bruno is growing on me, not literally, how friggin braindead ar ethose fashion persons...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think Bruno won last nights ep on points. Borat was only so-so and AliG really bit the dust last night!

Ali-Gs sketches last night were embarrasingly transparent and ill-concieved. Two of his interviewee's actually ended their interviews midstream as they twigged what was going on - which I find unforgivable. It's ok for the G-man to be unfunny but at least don't give the game away :rolleyes: Btw, nice 'haircut' Donald trump! :)

Anyway Bruno (a character I didn't really warm to until now) was the star of last night and gave a good few LOL's best of which was when trying to get past the security guard he says 'I'll give you the best head you've ever had ... and I'm not even gay!' which was strange in itself as I seem to remeber him clearly mentioning in an earlier ep that he WAS gay? Has Cohen now even stopped bothering developing any concrete backstory for his characters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I reckon if you hadn't seen his earlier stuff, you'd disregard his new stuff for the crap that it is. I saw last nights one up till the ad break.......it was such crap, I stuck on a dvd instead:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Booyakasha!! Here me now, you can download nearly every Ali g episode there is from this site!

http://www.lando.co.uk/

Respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

"Holla,swallow back,big up all me bitches and all the mofos out there westside keepin it real bo":D(or something similiar)
    Caught the repeat last night,Ali was brilliant .Best show of the series so far.The guests did not know he was a comedian-they thoght he was an idiotic dirty minded barely literate journalist.The secreatary of state called him an idiot-he didnt say"Are you from one of those candid camera pisstake shows?".He thought he was a real guy who just didnt know what he was talking about.

Loved Borats completely off topic out of the blue question.
    "Ah yes,and was Freddie Mercury a homosexual?":D I mean,it was so great because it had nothing to do with what the conversation was about.

And Bruno was actually quite funny.
    "Im not gay but if you let me in Ill let you take me up my stinkhole"

As said best show so far.But Im not sure if the americans would really get the humour.Any1 know how successful it was in the states?Hardly any google mentions of it,and most of those are British.And there seems to be no IMDB entry either.

But I dont think the Ali G character is dead yet.This show is pretty good if not as great as the UK original,seeing as they had to alter the humour slightly for the states.And he still managed to make what IMO was probably the funniest film of 2002,Ali G Indahouse.

"What if a female president fell in love with saddam hussein?Everybody knows women love a bastard".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

The last one was pretty funny , cant wait to see what he
    gets up to next.
    The Improv. session was classic in the last one.

• Advertisement

Just saw that episode on E4 tonite. Best part was when Ali was doing his sales-pitch for the ice-cream glove. The business guys just thought he was a complete moron. Class. Donald Trump wasn't very impressed with him either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by pugwall
    Anyone know of any sites with transcripts or even selected quotes from the new series?
    :D i used to have a transcript of the elton john interview that never got aired (i think elton threatened to sue)
    must have a look for it at the weekend

here's one with quotes/transcripts (not new series though)

http://www.shanemcdonald.com/laughs/l-Ali-G.html

I also found this on the HBO website :)

http://www.hbo.com/alig/glossary/

Advertisement