Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN software to drop a channel to receive a call?

Options
  • 12-04-2003 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Is there any software that will drop one of the isdn channels when an incoming call is detected in win2k?
    I have a asuscom pci card that doesnt have this facility with the drivers. i have some freeware software programs which can detect incoming calls and the caller id with both channls in use but dont have the ability to drop one of the channels so that the call can be received.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Looking for a similar automatic ISDN channel dropper myself.. haven't had luck...
    I have however found a very useful program:
    @ www.pc-telephone.com

You can be using both lines (128k, 64k & phone or both phone) and see the number of a third person if they try and get through...

It logs all caller id that comes through whilst the program is running, and allows you to take a call through your sound card if you are using both lines when a call comes in and drop one...

It's an essential for any ISDN user who doesn't want to miss calls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I remember pulling my few remaining hairs out trying to get this to work for me when I first got ISDN.

What I ended up doing was buying an external Eicon DIVA ISDN T/A which is connected to my router via a serial port and I have lines 1 and 2 connected to my 'phones.
    I have this setup so that if I dialup using 128k it will drop a channel to allow either an incoming or outgoing 'phone call.
    The 'phones are independent of the PC which is always a good thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Call bumping is what you're after. What make/model device do you have? I know of one way that it can be achieved but you need to have Call Deflection enabled on your line. The way it works is there is a background task listening for a 'call waiting' notification. When this arrives, it drops one of the b-channels and uses call deflection to bounce the call back at you. Call deflection allows you to deflect an incoming call to another number. This solution bounces the call back at you so when it's offered again, there is a free b-channel. Of course, you could bounce it to a mobile phone or something.

I'm sure it can be done without the prerequisite call deflection service enabled. Depending on your ISDN hardware they may offer some sort of call bumping solution but it may be proprietary. Worst case is that you get an application which notifies you of a call-waiting call. You can then manually suspend one of the channels (if you're using dial-up networking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Doesnt the eircom supplied usb ISDN TA do it from the default install???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

not only does it not do it but no-one I spoke to at eircon knew how to enable call bumping......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Been a while since I've used it, but I'm sure that the Dlink Usb jobbie did do it.. In fact I remember cursing many incoming calls for lowering my download speeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Call bumping is what you're after. ... there is a background task listening for a 'call waiting' notification. When this arrives, it drops one of the b-channels and uses call deflection to bounce the call back at you.

Whats the name of that task (program) listening in the background?
    sounds exactly what i need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

eeeek! don't buy *any* ISDN h/ware from eircom....

Maybe you could use call divert options to divert a call to your mobile if the home line is busy...?

Did that for a while when I was using 128k regularly... think it's expensive though... :P

</rant>

Whats the name of that task (program) listening in the background?

You might have glossed over the underlying requirement:
    ... drops one of the b-channels and uses call deflection to bounce the call back at you.

You need call deflection privisioned on your line for this to work reliably. What sort of ISDN device do you have? I might be able to come up with something for you.

Im not sure if call deflection is available for me.
    But with your method someone ringing could try again and the next call would get through. This is an improvement at least.
    Is call deflection the same as call forwarding or is it offered by eircom at all?
    thanks for your help

• Advertisement

My Diva Client software has a "Call Bumping" feature.. but anything I put into the "Number" fields keeps on clearing after I save it:

bump.jpg

This is what I found in the eircom-siemens isdn box manual:

isdnmsn.jpg
    111,121,112? tried them all, had no luck..

How do I get "Call deflection" enabled?

David C

That's the specific call-bumping feature I was referring to earlier. It requires call-bumping to be enabled on the line.

Can you tell me what build you have there? Just right-click on the system tray icon and click on 'About ...'. That should tell you the build number. There have been a few updates to this utility which resolve some bugs. Let me know.

Overlord,
    Deflection is the ability to bounce an incoming call when it arrives. Forwarding involves setting up rules which are sent to the switch. So when the call arrives at the switch it can forward it on under certain circumstances (call forward on busy, no answer or unconditional). If I have time I might be able to put something together which will notify you of a call-waiting call (i.e. call coming in when no channel is available) and possibly even bump one of your multilink channels. Let me know what type of ISDN device you have.

Thanks for your help fatherdougalmag.
    I have an asuscom p-in-100 pci isdn card.

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    David C

That's the specific call-bumping feature I was referring to earlier. It requires call-bumping to be enabled on the line.

Can you tell me what build you have there? Just right-click on the system tray icon and click on 'About ...'. That should tell you the build number. There have been a few updates to this utility which resolve some bugs. Let me know.
    It's "Version 101-58"
    I'm using an internal Diva PCI TA..

Do eircom enable call deflection?

Overlord,
    I'll see what I can do. As far as I can see it supports CAPI (Common ISDN API). I should be able to do something for you. Might be a bit rough initially but we can fine tune it. I'm a bit pushed for time today.

David C,
    Couldn't tell you about Eircom and Call Deflection. It's a pretty standard supplementary service so they should support it. This CD-based call-bumping was done for a specific ISDN provider in Germany who had CD enabled on all of their lines. Germany is just ISDN mad by the way. Everyone has it. Problem is, they have problems with virus dialer applications which start dialing premium rate phone numbers when you're not looking. That's why we also provide that CallGuard thing so you can control the numbers which are can be dialed from the PC. Anyway, I digress. I do have a later version of this application. You can download it from
    ftp://rad@ftp.eicon.com/ISDN/customertest/DiTask/

Just quit the existing instance (right-click on system tray icon and exit) and then copy the files from the FTP directory above to the c:\program files\eicon\diva directory. Once you've done that, restart it by double-clicking the exe.

Remember though, that this feature really needs call deflection to work. It might be an idea, however, to enhance this by letting the user configure whether or not they have call deflection enabled on their line. If they don't we could just pop up a dialog indicating the caller ID of the person ringing in. At least then you'll know who it was and you could ring them back.

Advertisement