Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a big old barge?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Mike

Just as a reality check i looked up buyandsell.net
    BMW 520i' '89. NCT 05/04, alpine white, s/r, onboard computer, CD player, BMW alloys, just serviced, new timing belt, 140k mls, Price: €1,200 Contact: 087-xxxxxxx.
    Conn and Leinster, Web

You'd probably have the M20 (short six engine) in the early E34, whereas the later models (9/1992) had the M50.

The M50 had the vanos (variable valve timing).

The M20 engine develops 129 bhp @ 6000 rpm / 120 lb/ft @ 4000 rpm where as the M50 develops 150 bhp @ 6000 rpm / 140 @ 4700.

All this is stuff is leading somewhere :)

If you budgeted for skimming the head/labour etc., when you take the head off you could discover a crack in the head (M20 engines have been known for this) your budget is right out the window...

My advice is keep looking and if you can stretch to a '93 model you'll get more power and torque and around the same fuel economy, or offer him €600 and wave the guarantee...

E34 M5

M20 Engine

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by DivX
    My advice is keep looking and if you can stretch to a '93 model you'll get more power and torque and around the same fuel economy, or offer him €600 and wave the guarantee...

Yeah, I think DivX is spot on. Big difference between 129 and 150 bhp on a car that's a ton and a half plus. Still same tax, insurance and petrol. Mine's a '94 530iA V8 - nuff said :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guys! Guys! Money money money! I'm doing this on the cheap, 1500 top whack.

I've discounted buying that white 520i as its history vis-a-vis the blown gasket is too vague, I know of a 1989 320i with alloys and NCT going for a grand so will check that tomorrow.

Mike.

I looked over and drove the 320i today, its got a whacking 175,000 on the clock but felt as tight as something with about 40k under its wheels...engine, suspension, steering etc all felt good. The interior was in better shape rattle-wise than my 56,000 Corsa. The bodywork is as expected for the milage - some lights scratches, with
    corrison around the ariel gromet thingy and some light rust on the
    trailing edge of the rear wing on passanger side. No toys except electric mirrors, alloys. Like the econo-metre idea. It pulls nicly, not "hot" fast but strong. Just enough room for my lanky frame. NCT until 8-04, no tax sadly!. Its got no history but the engine has nothing more than honest grime on it (I was half expecting a stream clean horror).

I've a feeling I'm going to buy it :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Go for it! My E30 had 160k on it when i flogged it and a 1.5 yrs later i hear its passed 200k!

BUT after a while you will be tempted to cover the econometer with a peice of insulation tape!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Same here i'd say go for it, my current car has over 183K mls and is only just run in...

AAAAAAAAAAAGGH! :mad:

The car was sold! I missed it due to an answer machine not being checked...oh well. I'm deffo in the mood for an E30 320i so I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.

Mike.

How's the BMW hunting Mike?

V-E-R-Y Slowly I'm afraid, theres no end of 316 and 318 models but as Ireland was dirt poor back in the 80s, 320s are harder to find as they were expensive, so few were bought by private motorists while companies usually went for 5 series or Mercs.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled but may yet end up going for a Merc 190E
    as they're are quite a few around.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You may well be better off buying a Merc, mike65.

I had a 320 a few years back and they are very hard on petrol.
    I never saw a fuel gauge drop so fast !

Other than that it was a great car - lovely sound from those 6 cyl engines !!!

Silvera.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Silvera
    You may well be better off buying a Merc, mike65.

I had a 320 a few years back and they are very hard on petrol.
    I never saw a fuel gauge drop so fast !

Other than that it was a great car - lovely sound from those 6 cyl engines !!!

Silvera.

Ah but its the engines purr thats the whole point to buying a 320! :D

Mike

Originally posted by mike65
    Ah but its the engines purr thats the whole point to buying a 320! :D
    Mike

Indeed Mike! Personally I wouldn't go for a 190, they have aged badly imo. Any merc secondhand in Ireland is very expensive compared to equivalent BMW. Why don't you try again going for a 520i - plenty of those around (last model - E34) and has same engine (obviously) as 320i.

Keep us posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    well if ur willing to go as far as about €15k there is a lovely 1994 BMW 520i for sale on cbg.ie

All the extras and its an auto too with only 60k miles..

Is this a joke? Top value on that car would be €4-5k for a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Originally posted by mike65
    AAAAAAAAAAAGGH! :mad:

The car was sold! I missed it due to an answer machine not being checked...oh well. I'm deffo in the mood for an E30 320i so I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.

Mike.

I thought you wanted a barge dude. Actually you really wanted a beemer, any beemer, eh? ;) I know what that's like...

E30 will never be called a barge. Did you not find any decent examples of early-90's 5-series yet? Loads of them around.

Advertisement