Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling All Musicians

• 12-04-2003 7:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

OK one last poll from us people and this is why;

We here at Irish Music Network currently have 2 options available to us and we just can't take them both.

We've got 2 very well connected people with us now that can make things happen for a band only problem is that 1 is connected in the UK and the other in Ireland and seeing as we can't have both (unfortunately) we've got to pick and since we exist to help musicians we'd appreciate your input into our poll.

So would you prefer to make a big break into the Irish market or the UK market?

where would you rather break 1st Ireland or UK? 8 votes

I'd prefer to make it in Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    I'd prefer to make it in the UK
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

well I discussed this with a few bandmates tonight and it would probably be a better idea on the english market. more people, bigger metal scene, more $$.
    Doesn't matter how good you are here, its just not 'in' to be into bands and gigs and especially metal.
    i declare this here land ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hmm tough one. There are alot of bands in the UK, so the band would have to be special to stand out, whereas in Ireland a
    band that are any way good will stand out more, but theres not much here in the way of studios and labels compared to England !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

There's more ppl in London than there is in ireland so it would be a lot better to make it in england for one simple reason, Money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

only problem with the uk is the cost, even with some kind of backing a band would have to put up a lot of money for the inital tours and travel of the UK. where as in ireland you could travel areound anywhere in ireland within a couple of hours. however the rewards of making it in england would be much greater than making it in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

thanks for your opinions PPL but we need more as we're vastly short on time and we've gotta pick so could more PPL add their voice

• Advertisement

The Obvious Choice would be The UK.

Originally posted by bombidol
    The Obvious Choice would be The UK.

Why is that so obvious?

IMHO it's just as easy to get massive exposure over here than in the UK and it's the same when it comes to money altough my feelings on music & money are pretty strong so I won't go into them

Considering the sheer size of the media market in the UK and a large music fanbasealong with a lot more venues suitable to live bands. A lot of Large worldwide Label's, marketing companys and distributions have their European base's in the Uk (london mostly) therefore it would make sense to be close to where the action is. Its just a matter of industry attention, look at stations like Kerrang. MTV2, P-Rock etc on digital TV a lot of the new bands featured on them are from the UK, whens the last time you saw an Irish band on these stations? Its not because there arent any, its simply a matter of being part of the scene when its in swing.
    And the UK scene is in decent shape at the moment. Ireland simply isnt big enough to "make it" if you do make it to a certain level you have to start over again in the UK to widen your fanbase. So many bands get stagnent over here from doing the same stuff over and over again, Aslan Anyone? Yeah they are dirtbag junkies but they are producing stuff on the same level as a lot of "big" Uk bands yet are nobodys with a following of human dirt.(Aslan rant over :D)
    Im in a band myself www.20bullseach.com and we are doing some shows in the UK in June cause we know by then we'll have played mosst places in ireland a million times over to the same people.

you make a good point bombidol

I do know in fact there is alot of attention currently being focused on Irish bands in England so I suppose we're gonna bite the bullet and go for the UK

Now who wants to do a ****loada gigs over there as well as get themselves a single over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

TBH if you save about €8000 between ye's through gigging, you can make your own album in ireland and just put them in music shops yourself. Offer to pay eg. Virgin €x to put them on display per sale. Maybe a few cents, and sell the albums for €8-€10.

You only need about 500-1000 sales to make it into the irish top 40 tbh!

If you could get the backing and recording time in UK then do it!

Nomatter what they'll have more money to throw at you to back you, and worst case sinario, if you don't hit it off and you break up with your recording company you can still take your already made album and release it yourself!

• Advertisement

Dude, you KNOW the only choice is 20 Bulls Each! :Dwww.20bullseach.com :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I honestly think that it is best to make it reasonably big in Ireland first, and then elsewhere. You will have something to fall back on and Ireland is developing as a reputable music scene.

~ bump ~

Advertisement