Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Create a Dual Boot On a laptop

Options
  • 12-04-2003 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop that is running win xp pro on a ntfs partiton I want to install win98 on this laptop and make it dual boot

I have installed partition magic and converted the ntfs to fat32 and then resized it and had to fat32 partitions 1 38gig and the 2nd 2gig

I installed Powers Quest boot Magic so when I had win98 installed on the seperate partition I could choses which partition to boot from

I rebooted using a dos disk and tried to install win98 on the 2 gig partitiion this gave an error after running the scan disk saying there was a virus scanner installed could not continue now there is no virus scanner installed on the xp pro partition and also there is no virus scanner built in to the BIOS ..

I then fornarted the entire hdd and had 1 big 40 gig partition and again got the same error while tring to install win98

Has anyone got any ideas on how to install this kind of system I have down this loads of times on desktops but not having much luck here on the portable

HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

OK since youve formatted once already, it's not going to be a problem.

Start with the format/fdisk/whatever. Partition whatever way you like..

IMPORTANT: Windows 98 will not read an NTFS partition.

The easiest option is to create one big FAT32 partition.

First thing to do is install WIN98. Once that is up and running, with all drivers etc.. From the windows desktop put in your WinXP CD. There will be a prompt saying something like.

Do you want to
    a)Upgrade this OS
    b)Install a new copy of XP

What you want to to is install the new copy. Once this is complete you will be presented with the option to select wich OS you want boot after POST.

Hope this helps.

If you use google you will probably fond a lot more detailed explenation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

Thanks for you help but I had the same idea but the problem is it wont let me install win98 ona fat32 partition due to this weird virus crap thing

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

The virus thing is strange.
    try booting to dos from a disk and type
    format /mbr

this will wipe the master boot record, then as Pimp Ninja said install win 98 and then install XP after that, i chose new installation when putting on XP with a dual boot 98 and xp machine at home.

Also virus warning may be turned on in the BIOS but as its Scandisk thats detecting a virus i dont know wheter turning off virus warning will help. its worth a try do.
    Normally press either F1 or DEL on the BIOS screen to enter setup to change settings.
    hope that helps.

*edited cos i mixed up yer names

Completely ignore what Fugru said about the format /mbr thing. He might be onto something even if he is wrong. The command he was looking for was 'fdisk /mbr' and tbh its not going to do you a lot of good.

I'm really not sure about this whole Virus Scanner warning... Could you give me the full text of the warning, and exactly at what point does it come up.

To get 98 installed, I have a feeling that the install would go much better if there were no partitions defined on the Hard Drive, and you allowed the install process create the required partitions.

Boot from the Win98 CD and select command prompt with CD support. Then type in fdisk and hit enter. This will bring you into the fdisk application. It is used for creating and deleting the partitions for a windows install..

Anyway if you have a quick google for fdisk, and using instructions if youre not sure. Completely delete all partitions...

OK this looks like a good one.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000344.htm

->
    After that is competed, ie there are no Partitions defined, then reboot the machine with the windows 98 cd in the drive, and this time select install OS, and see does this get you any further with the windows 98 installation.

Do note that deleting partitions with fdisk will delete any and all information contained on those partitions.. Usual backup advice/warnings apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

win98 can have a problem installing after a newer windows version is already on the computer such as xp. Starting from scratch is probally the best bet, get rid of the os folders and files and then install windows 98 and then install winxp and it will sort out the dual boot for you.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gideon
    win98 can have a problem installing after a newer windows version is already on the computer such as xp. Starting from scratch is probally the best bet, get rid of the os folders and files and then install windows 98 and then install winxp and it will sort out the dual boot for you.

Did you even read his first post.. where he said that he had already formatted his entire hard disk?
    Do you understand that this means he has already ruled out a solution like the one you have suggested?

Please people, useful suggestions to help tech here. Try not to repeat what he has already tried, things that other people have suggested.

kthx...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

still messing with it no joy im gonan try a win98 install on a different hdd just to see whats happens

Advertisement