Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Cutting an Acre

Options
  • 12-04-2003 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Does anyone know what it might cost to have someone with a tractor cut the grass of an acre field?

I've been looking at a few country houses, so I just wondered what it might cost to have the grass cut.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

might work out cheaper to buy a ride on mower and cut it yourself. especially if it's going to be a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by the evil belly
    might work out cheaper to buy a ride on mower and cut it yourself. especially if it's going to be a regular thing.

Or you could do as I did a few years ago when I was living in a cottage and acre in East Cork. Buy a couple of sheep!!!

They're low maintenance, cheaper than a new mower, and do a great job at keeping the grass down. And come every April/May will deliver you a few lambs.

But be forewarned, like me you could end up getting very attached to 'em...... so far as even to giving them names. My two were called Woolykins and LittleMissLovelyAss. Ahhh....... the fond memories.

Regards,
    Jack.
    ps......... Maybe I should take this to Personal Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

Thanks

I'm not from the country, so I don't know a great deal about this.

Do you (or anyone) know what's involved in looking after some sheep? Is it difficult? Do you need anything else - foodwise - other than the grass?

How many might I need to keep the grass down on an acre?

What about during winter when there is not as much grass, would I need a barn to keep them in?

Any other tips?

Would it be better/easier to keep sheep or goats?

Originally posted by MazyMo
    Thanks

Do you need anything else - foodwise - other than the grass?

What about during winter when there is not as much grass, would I need a barn to keep them in?

I kept my two in the bedroom when the nights started turning chilly. Turn them out in the morning for a feed of silage. U can buy plastic wrapped silage from your local farmer for a pittance.

Any other tips?
    NO! I would strongly recommend the sheep. The goat can be a vicious and unpredictable animal. Not docile. When angered, the goat has these things which grow out of its head (horns) that can cause serious injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭MazyMo

Someone was telling me that if I were to get a couple of sheep or goats, I would have to get public liability insurance for them in case they escaped from the field and caused an accident or caused damage.

What do you think about this? True?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MazyMo

What do you think about this? True?

As the goat can jump a four-foot high ditch with ease, you wil need to keep him/her in chains. Shackle it with a heavy ball and chain. This may at first sight appear cruel, but, really, the goat doesn't mind. They're used to and accept this kind of restriction ...... it's a goat thing.

The sheep, on the other hand, is not a good jumper (although its wool does make an excellent jumper) and so does not require any restraint. Just keep the gate closed.

Of course, if either animal does happen to escape just deny all knowledge of ownership. Brazen it out with a straight face. The arrested goat or sheep are unlikely to disclose your name and address to the authorities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement