Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIA Broadband

Options
  • 13-04-2003 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Any confirmed dates as to when these guys will be setting up their broadband service?

I tried searching the site already...but it says no results or too short a word so i had to ask.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I send out my forms for the SoHo dsl package tomorrow. It's available now, just depends on what package your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

let us know whats what with it Sloth, pings n stuff, might be using eircom gear, but u never know :P

baz

Yup sure thing. I'm actually just about to order my LIVE kit now. I've heard a lot of different views about the pings etc but theres so many factors involved that I won't know for sure what pings are actually like until I use it myself.
    I'm highly optimistic though of course. They supply their own modem (ZP645 Modem), dunno if it's the same as the Eircom one. Remember though that I'm going for the SoHo package which has a better contention ratio than the cheaper one but again all this is totally up in the air until I test it (which of course I can't wait to do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Sloth, where do i get prices etc? How does it compare to Eircom or Esat when they are out?

is there a residential pakcage?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

50Cent, the SOHO is the residential package(24:1 contention) and the 'new' Radsl one is also residential(the one with 48:1 contention). Eircon's and Esat's new offering are basically the same, Esat and Via reselling the radsl packages to their flavour.
    Eircon and Esat have caps, Via don't.
    To get prices, ring them up ar send email, also see thread about it in IOFFL forum.
    SOHO one is supposed to be same price as eircon's soho offering (108 euro), the radsl one has been quoted from 54 to 76 euro (incl vat) on forums, a bit confusing :)

I dunno about availability, someone mentioned just in eircom enabled exchanges in dublin, i myself will ring up tomorow about it.
    Guess Sloth will know more about it when he gets it :):)

• Advertisement

Heres the bits with the prices off order form I got off them for the Soho package:
    (Ex-Vat)
    Installation 165
    (199.65 inc. VAT)
    ZP645 Modem 229
    Monthly 106
    Router ZP650H 479
    Annual 1166

This account includes:
    5 POP3 e-mail addresses, Domain Name Registration, , Fixed IP Address, No download capacity limit.

So I'm going for install + ZP645 and a monthly package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

id certainly get the VIA flavour, the no cap is just what sells it for me, they are actually in line with other telco's worldwide, but the price is still a lil too high

baz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

can via bb be gotten anywhere eircom/esat have enabled?

i can get the eircom radsl now, but i think i might get free installation & modem from them because i trialled their dsl in ennis for 9 months. Thats probably the only reason im thinkin of going to eircom (pings/dl rates arent great compared)

the cap is the only snag, cos im always downloading. thats why i want to get dsl (well that and gaming), and thats why im thinking of via.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

106 a month. I know the no cap thing is brilliant. But thats too pricey for my liking. If the cap of eircom or esat poses a major problem, then ill go get a job and pay for VIA that way. Oh well...

Thanks a lot for the replys anyway guys...:D

No probs 50.
    Originally posted by conZ
    can via bb be gotten anywhere eircom/esat have enabled?

i can get the eircom radsl now, but i think i might get free installation & modem from them because i trialled their dsl in ennis for 9 months. Thats probably the only reason im thinkin of going to eircom (pings/dl rates arent great compared)

the cap is the only snag, cos im always downloading. thats why i want to get dsl (well that and gaming), and thats why im thinking of via.

Via is basically just reselling the Eircom package so you can get it as long as you can get Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A Via rep claimed (in a different thread I believe) NOT to be reselling Eircom's offering.

DeV.

Well a Via rep on the phone told me that that was exactly what they were doing heh. If they weren't just reselling Eircom's package then they'd be able to turn off interleaving but well, they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Sloth
    Well a Via rep on the phone told me that that was exactly what they were doing heh. If they weren't just reselling Eircom's package then they'd be able to turn off interleaving but well, they can't.

Not quite :-), The story with Via is this, they have their pipe connected into eircoms kit, this allows them to provide the IP service for you, me and Joe public. Thats the standard with their 3 higher end packages. Now from what i've been able to establish, Via's RADSL package is a direct re-sell of Eircoms offering. Now this may actually be the same physical thing, they provide the IP again, but im not 100% sure.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Well without wanting to muddy the waters too much when I asked the Via person the reason they couldn't turn off interleaving was because they were reselling the Eircom package. Maybe she was just talking about the RADSL package but I doubt it because I was on the phone to order the SoHo package.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Sloth, I read someplace in the Irelandoffline forum that Via where only selling to companies, is this true? have you got your own company or did you just BS them?

Nope I told them from the off that I was going to be using Via for residential use, hell one of the first questions I even asked them was whether or not they used ethernet so that I could use the line for xbox live. I think maybe they refer to their products as business products since they're so god damn expensive but then their new service is aimed at residential use anyhows so I don't know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

That's sort of what I thought, let’s face it the RDSL service is definitely not a business product despite the price.

Right first thing tomorrow, I'm on the phone to get me some sweet DSL action, oh baby!
    ;)

Actually I'm driving up for a local community meeting later today and on the way I'm going to drop off my dsl forms so fingers crossed it won't be too long now. If you want real proof that the SoHo package is for business the woman on the phone seemed suprised that I didn't have a fax machine and that I'd actually have to send the forms in by mail. How positively stong age of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I'm in ennis too and VIA aint selling down here, A few people i know passed IOLs online test, I didnt, but I passed eircoms? go figure.
    I'm going to wait for some feedback on what its like before commiting myself to eircom for a 12 month contract

Nrrrgh, ok I'm trying really hard not to but I just can't help myself in this case................
    Why not go for the Via package?, I mean it's only a 2 month contract, you have no download cap and the cheapest package works out about as dear as the Eircom one (although the cheapest price seems to vary wildly depending on who you ask). Whatever you do though don't go for Eircom ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by echomadman
    I'm in ennis too and VIA aint selling down here, A few people i know passed IOLs online test, I didnt, but I passed eircoms? go figure.
    I'm going to wait for some feedback on what its like before commiting myself to eircom for a 12 month contract

I just sent the IAT an email covering practically all topics on BB in Ennis - Wireless, exchanges, Interest etc.

The Exchanges, i would think, would be around the Tulla Road area (roslevan, oakleigh wood, knockaderry grove, castlerock) and the limerick road (westfields, West County Hotel etc) as they were the two areas the vDSL trials (started feb 2002 - nov 2002) took place.

Ill post up the reply from the IAT tommorrow, thats if i get a reply :ninja: but it should be fairly comprehensive.

OR, if you want to ring the IAT offices yourself - working hours 065 68 69200

lol.
    Last Monday, I rang eircom and checked the Esat site to see if i could get DSL, but with no luck.
    Friday i ring eircom, and today i check the esat site, and what do ye know, both available.

I would like to get Esat, but *IF* i get the free installation (because of trial - email sent tonight to verify free installation + hardware) from eircom, ill go for eircom (fu<kit, €250 off ffs! :) )

Im gonna ring VIA now (thats if their offices arent closed) to see what they can offer me.

:ninja: Its all fitting together now :ninja:

Im just gonna call them all out for line test's for the craic :) - theyre free arent they?

They don't have to come down to your house to do a line test you know, it's all done over the phone. The thing is I passed the Esat test too but was told that the service hasn't even launched where I am.

Advertisement