Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We May Have to take down our dishes!

• 13-04-2003 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Yesterdays Irish Mirror yesterday said that hundreds of thousands of satellite dishes would be ordered to take them down. Drogheda Borough Council has said that almost all dishes have been fitted without planning permission. The Council is giving people in the area one month to take down the dishes or get planning permission. It is believed that many councils across the countr may now follow.

What do ye all make of this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

When I was in the south of Spain, most people had 1.2m dishes for Sky.. Here.. the vast majority of them are tiny ickle 55cm mini dishes, whats the big dealeo?

Mine wouldn't be coming down without a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

The Dutch planning autorioties have been ruled against here because the EU says that 60/80 cm dishes are allowed to fulfill the rule which says that people have the right to receive signals through an arial from European broadcasters.You only need planning permisson for dishes above 100cm dia.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've got beans and water and coffee stockpiled. They can take my satelite dish (or my wireless rig) from my dead clammy hands.
    You'll know when you see me on the 6' O'Clock news , I'll be the one sniping from the top floor screaming: You'll never take me alive coppa!!

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by DeVore
    I've got beans and water and coffee stockpiled. They can take my satelite dish (or my wireless rig) from my dead clammy hands.
    You'll know when you see me on the 6' O'Clock news , I'll be the one sniping from the top floor screaming: You'll never take me alive coppa!!

DeV.

/me roffles! :D

I've a standard minidish and an 80cm solid dish. Theyd better not be under the impression that I'll gladly take mine down either! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that every couple of days, some civil servant comes up with another revenue generating scam to cover the cash that they think they need to keep themselves in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

Does anybody make Stealth Dishes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Does anybody make Stealth Dishes?

No but i can set you up with a white 240cm and paint a mickeymouse on it for you:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even in Blair's Britian you can have up to 90cm without PP

DC is mad..

Also what you do at back of house or on ground can be different.

In UK mounting the dish in Chimney i.e. above house roof is illegal.

Dunno why so many are like that here. It is more work, more dangerous and harder to service.

Is it to stop people sampling Free Non-Sky Services?

Perhaps Tony (www.satellite etc ) has an insight to that particular Irish madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yes, I have the original article from Wednesday's Drogheda Leader, which a native gave me, which I have meant to scan over the last few days. Ooops.

Anyways... here's the nub of the article.... According to Ellen O'Hanlon, of Drogheda's BC's Housing and Planning department, says that she has received one complaint, and is obliged to chase it up. She states that the only place where a dish is legally located is on a rear wall, under the eaves.

"It is illegal to attach a dish to the wall at the bottom of your garden, or on a pole, or even on the side of the house or on the chimney", she chimes some more.

She says that in order to be "fair and equitable" her department is going to look at all dishes in Drogheda (sounds like skiving) "Over the next few months, all the estates will be done, one by one" (oh yes)

The article continues, as that department is very busy, they will get around to this task, but it may take a few months. Anyone who has already received a request must apply for planning, or take it down. The fee for retention planning permission is €240, and that's before newspaper notices and surveyors fees are looked at.

Any dish at the front or side of a south facing house is screwed. The first estates to be looked at by the council are St. Laurence's Park and Cedarfield.

Chorus mischief anyone? :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I think it's time to complain about the potholes all over the cities caused by dodgy cable companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what if no one complains. everyone down my road with the exception of 2 houses (about 5 or 600 meters away from me) have at least 1 satellite dish on the house so no one will hopefully complain or else it would be like the domino effect :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Michael Walsh
    Yesterdays Irish Mirror yesterday said that hundreds of thousands of satellite dishes would be ordered to take them down. Drogheda Borough Council has said that almost all dishes have been fitted without planning permission. The Council is giving people in the area one month to take down the dishes or get planning permission. It is believed that many councils across the countr may now follow.

What do ye all make of this!

It would be interesting to know how much Chorus (Formerly known as East Coast multichannel) and its directors are involved in Drogheda Borough Council. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Originally posted by watty
    In UK mounting the dish in Chimney i.e. above house roof is illegal.
    I thought it was legal provided the dish was less than 45cm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    :D
    sceptre's dish is now in the bathroom after a little disagreement with Limerick Corpo. The little man whose job it is to go around town checking these things can go suck an egg.

Oddly enough they've no problem with every building in Limerick centre being strung up with a web of bad Chorus cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

I have asked this before, do MMDS aerials need planning permission? Most MMDS receive aerials/dishes are far more visually obtrusive than your average sat dish!

technically THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.

A Chorus Aerial IS a dish.
    It is in size typically Between the smaller Sky Minidish and Larger Sky Minidish, though some are same size as minidish.

Both are mesh, it is just that at 2.5GHz instead of 11GHz the mesh is more open.

90cm Solid dishes were the regular for Sky analog for nearly 10 years.

Someone is making mischief.
    "It is illegal to attach a dish to the wall at the bottom of your garden, or on a pole, or even on the side of the house or on the chimney", she chimes some more.
    It this is true it is a bylaw they just invented.

Also what abolut al; the aerial towers all down east of Ireland for over 40 years now?

Many areas of Ireland (esp. Gaelic speaking) can only get decent TG4 /TV3 and even RTE1/NET2 by satellite, which is why it is also a crying shame our own FTA TV is only Family Pack or Higher on Sky, not even Knowledge, Value or Popular.

I can get 25+ German and 12+ Itallian TV for free but no Irish TV Digital free.

I did ask my neighbours if objections as I was adding more than one dish.. (definately a grey area, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i can understand the grey area about lots of dishes but what is the harm in a minidish
    i know some people have them stuck up in visually obtrusive positions (like the idiots who stick it up on the front of the house above the front door :rolleyes: ) but you cant tar us all with the same brush

you cant actually see my minidish from the street even though it is on the chimney. its between the chimney and the apex of the roof so you nearly have to stand at an angle to see it

on another note: sorry but i have to stick this in

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Puca

Well as a trained assassin, if any member of Drogheda B C come's near my dish the will be shot from 500 yards away. Ill be placed over looking their spacious offices in the local pub (were else) waiting for Frank G (claim anything for Drogheda) and his cronies to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

I think the point though is that the council are following up after a "complaint" - If nobody had complained would they have totally ignored this ???

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

I think the point though is that the council are following up after a "complaint" - If nobody had complained would they have totally ignored this ???

I say they would have. I wonder how many members of Drogheda Council have a minidish? I'm sure they didn't pay €240 planning permission. Wouldn't it be interesting if someone complained about an MMDS aerial- or even a normal UHF/VHF aerial on a chinmney? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

What a load of Tosh and to think the tax payer again foots the bill to pay people to carry out this type of rubbish work. One idea if anybody gets any bother from them over having a dish, complain about MMDS aerials and aerials in general. They are all covered by the same stupid legislation. Anyway they would be so overwhealmed by all the work in prospect they would have to have to rethink the whole area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know it's not direct LOS, but it has to be pointed in a certain direction, doesn't it? It would be physically impossible to put a dish on the back of my house under the eaves (what if you live in an apartment? No eaves there. Sounds like someone is making up things as they go along.) Next we'll need planning permissionf for hanging baskets or a post christmas increase in weight!

Sceptre... What's the story with the corporation in limerick? And devore, i'll be picking off those vans from the hillside on the new road into shannon. :ninja: I'm getting installed tomorrow, and it cost me a whopping €15. (Ireland on Sunday deal) and no way some pencil pusher is taking away my tv time!

Mark:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Hey lads, easy on the Council staff- I'm one myself.

I mean, what if all planning decisions were made on some random basis and not for the common good?

(Thinks about last statement).

Oh dear, I think I'd better go now. :rolleyes:

An MMDS aerial is a dish.

They are all up high on stalks.

Find list of councillars and lodge complaint about unsightly dish for any that have MMDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    Sceptre... What's the story with the corporation in limerick?

I'm living in a Georgian building. What's odd of course is that many of the Georgian buildings around Limerick are in a pretty bad state as the corpo aren't all that pushed about anything other than the front brickwork (for a Dublin equivalent, take a walk up Henrietta Street, stand in front of the convent and look at the buildings opposite). Every building around Limerick city does have strings and strongs of Chorus cable running up the walls and around the buildings just above the ground floor. Pretty ugly TBH - if it was maintained in any way (rather than running what seems like a separate cable for every customer all the way from Mungret Street) it wouldn't be half as ugly. Might just put in a complaint myself.

Hence, no outside dish. Works fine in the bathroom.

Incidentally, AFAIK they can't touch you after about 12 years. Swear blind it's been there since the early days of Sky analogue.

Yeah, I think you're pretty safe after 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

don't feed the gondolas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sven

According to www.oasis.gov.ie the Information on Public Services - an Irish Goverment resource:

---

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

A satellite dish (up to 1 metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

---

Source:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html?search=sat+dish

/Sven

Originally posted by Sven
    According to www.oasis.gov.ie the Information on Public Services - an Irish Goverment resource:

---

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

A satellite dish (up to 1 metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house.

---

Source:
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html?search=sat+dish

/Sven

Surely thats the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Hmm - it makes it a bit hairy for apartment dwellers though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement