Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid RADSL Question

Options
  • 13-04-2003 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me (a computer no brainer) what type of cable goes from the adsl splitter to the computer when I get it in? Is it standard phone cable with standard connecters? That is rj11?

Anyone got any recomerdations for an adsl modem? cheep for one pc and ethernet is best for me I think.

I'm 63 years old and just ever so slightly dumb with computers, getting there though

donutheadhomer@eircom.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yep it's standard phone cable, if you're getting the USB modem that is. You plug the phone cable into the socket on the modem and then you plug the modem into one of the USB ports on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's a standard rj11 cable the goes from the modem to the splitter.
    Search around here and the Broadband forum, there's loads of threads about what modem is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Great thank you. My phone connection is in the hall and the computer is in the bedroom. I've got a phone cable going from the hall to the computer, can I use this cable for the dsl thing then? Is the usb one better than the ethernet one? Are all adsl modems the same? Can I just buy any one at all?

Sammy

donutheadhomer@eircom.net

The cable you have should be ok.
    Not all DSL modems are the same, so you can't just buy any modem.
    Search the forums, there's load of threads about this.
    WRT usb v. ethernet, you haven't said what OS you use, also do you actually have a network card installed on your pc?

not got network card and running XP. what are my options? Thaks for hepling me out

• Advertisement

I looked around the other threads about this and its all very confusing. maybe i should have just gotton the eircom one, but they were expensive. i like the modem that can be put inside the computer, like the ordinary phone modem i have, no wires or power supply. do all of these types have the rj11 connection on them though?

I've found the ethernet modems to be more reliable, network cards are pretty cheap and easy to install once you've a spare PCI slot.
    You're looking for a modem that supports PPPoE connections, apparently the D-Link modems are ok, www.itdirect.ie sells them afaik. I've set one or two up, they're easy to configure and alot of people around here seem to have good things to say about them.

do i need a network card and an ethernet modem?

If you're going to buy an Ethernet modem, then yes, you need a network card.

usb for me then frank

any suggestions which one to buy?

I thought the ethernet ones just slotted in like a regular modem, PCI like. not have to plug it in to a network card

stupid me

• Advertisement
Advertisement