Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB vs Eternet dsl modems

Options
  • 13-04-2003 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

does anyone know if there are any advantages to getting one over the other ? I think the esat dsl they give you a usb one.

Ric

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ethernet modems, easy to share the connection, easy to install a hardware firewall, can use arouter to prevent you connection droping, and you dont have to you software to connect to the service. USB, its ok i suppose but it doesn't offer any of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

USB isn't compatible with games consoles and also some motherboards can't take the power that a USB modem needs.

Originally posted by Sloth
    can't take the power that a USB modem needs.
    wrong, unless your talking about something ancient.

Yup I am. There wasn't enough power going to this guy's modem so the broadband connection kept cutting off. I think the pc was in the region of a p2 300.

something that old would probably be using usb 1.0 the adsl modem would be usb 2.0 and as such the problem is not the motherboard but the usb slot

• Advertisement

Yeah, he bought a pci adaptor card and now it runs like the proverbial wind. He's the guy I was telling you about who can reach 1mb on his 512k service.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I've had a USB ISDN Modem and I don't liked it at all.

I think there is a main problem with USB: It isn't really designed to do communikation tasks.

So, you operation system is forced to "poll" the usb port and check if there is a communication going on.

This resulted in my case in a 20% system performance drop!

During that time I searched very intensive for the fault, then replaced the USB modem with an internal PCI-card and voila: 20% performance back.
    The 20% resulted in a frame loss in battelfield (loss was 20 fps!)
    This was for an ISDN-Modem but I think it is the same with an DSL-Modem.
    In your case I would really take a normal pci-network card.
    It is much better and the install isn't so difficult.

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I have a NTL USB and ethernet modem. Both work ok. I see no difference between them. Ethernet is better is you want to connect a router and not driver is required when using the ethernet port.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

hi,
    Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    I have a NTL USB and ethernet modem. Both work ok. I see no difference between them. Ethernet is better is you want to connect a router and not driver is required when using the ethernet port.
    can you do me a favour?
    do you have any system test programs (like sandra or others)?
    Can you perform a systems test with the usb-device connected and a test with a disconnected device?

I would be happy to see some results (or fps in a game)....

maybe it was only my system what had strange behavior? :confused:

jow

Advertisement