Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acronyms

Options
  • 13-04-2003 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any funny or memorable acronyms for any subjects that require a lot of memory work (Business, Economics)?

Eg. Types of demand = FIBES

Functional
    Impulse
    Bandwagon
    Exclusive
    Speculative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I do is I learn off where things go on the page, and it all comes together very nicely.
    I tried doing that acronyms technique but i found it never really fit many things properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Originally posted by honeymonster
    Does anyone have any funny or memorable acronyms for any subjects that require a lot of memory work (Business, Economics)?

Eg. Types of demand = FIBES

Functional
    Impulse
    Bandwagon
    Exclusive
    Speculative

Hrm... ok please tell me that comes from the business course, not economics...!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

its emm Econ........ yeah its business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

thats on the business course:eek:
    where!!??

No I was being sarcastic, its on the economics course.

• Advertisement

Ok... I'm reasonably sure that's not important... not required knowledge for the supply/demand question.. well I hope.. :D

Originally posted by PHB
    What I do is I learn off where things go on the page, and it all comes together very nicely.
    I tried doing that acronyms technique but i found it never really fit many things properly

does that not get really confusing?

or maybe im not gettin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

for biology, the oder of grouping for classifiction:

Kindred People Call Out For Guinness Stout
    ie.
    Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species

King Phillip Can Often Fart Great Smells

It's not mine, I'm so sorry.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Biology - 7 characteristics of living things:

MRS GREN
    Movement, Reproduction, Sensitivity (it's been 4 years, not sure if it sensitivity but you should know!), Growth, Respiration, Excretion, Nutrition

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

You would expect it to but it doesnt if you've got a good memory. The best thing about it is when you are revising after you see the first line at least 60% of the stuff comes flying back into your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

That happens to me aswell PHB, right now I can see my Geog France answer.
    But the really annoying thing is when you walk out of an exam, see the first line and you've realised you've missed a whole fecking paragraph!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Qualm

Heres a few acronyms for the electrochemical series in chemistry:

Pretty
    Sally
    Married
    A
    Zulu
    In
    The
    Lovely
    Honolulu
    Causing
    Many
    Strange
    Glances

or, as a few bored ppl in my class made up:

Poor
    Spelling
    Means
    A
    Zed (ie, a fail)
    In
    The
    Leaving
    Higher
    Chemistry

Bad thing is tho, i cant remember what exactly each of the letters stands for now! Ah well, i got my A :P

That happens to me aswell PHB, right now I can see my Geog France answer.
    But the really annoying thing is when you walk out of an exam, see the first line and you've realised you've missed a whole fecking paragraph!

Yeh I do that all the time in history, luckily theres a lot of paragraphs but its ok.
    My only real problem with memorisation is remembering the sub-headings, and once i've got taht, it all comes together :)

I have tried making Acronyms but I just find you can't find a word to do it, Im thinking oh just listening to Macbeth about 50 times between now and the leaving cert on tape, same with the poetry. Its really easy to remember stuff if you just listen to it all the time, just like words to songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

MR. DAMPS TAVERN

Initials of all the french verbs that use 'etre' in passe compose.

Yep, have one of those odd memories that retains stuff straight from the page too... 'tis fun... :)

I'd kill for a friend of mines memory.
    Its absolutly amazing, he reads something once or twice and he rememebrs it almost perfectly, hes got a photographic memory the basterd ;)

Anybody got any other cool memory techniques? Sometimes before exams if theres something really importent that I think is gona come up I listen to it with a song playing in the background over and over and try and learn off the stuff. Then before an exam I'll listen to the music and it'll all come to me really quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Sin = opposite/hypotenuse
    Cos = adjacent/hypotenuse
    Tan = opposite/adjacent

Soh Cah Toa

Advertisement