Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening ports

Options
  • 13-04-2003 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for me to open a port from my worstation on a lan ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What are you trying to do exactly?
    What's the setup there on the LAN e.g is there a firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Well.. opening ports.. this would imply but not really mean that there's a firewall or other form of packet filter present.

If its a firewall, and you are the administrator, then just look at the logs to see what is being blocked, and create a rule to allow/deny that type of traffic.

On the other hand if it is a Windows NT/2000/XP machine and there is a TCP/IP Filtering set up, you need to add the specific ports to the permitted list..

It's possible to mask/tunnel your traffic so that it looks like something else to these filters, and is allowed to pass freely through whatever routes are set up..

The case I suspect, is that you are sitting on the inside of a network, that you dont have administrative access to, and want the use of a specific application. This application, wants to connect to another machine (internet / whatever) but cannot and is giving you a blocked port message. Why not try asking the network administrator for permission to use this application. he would like to know what is going on, on his network after all.. Doing anything to circumvent existing security measures on the network, without permission of the owners/admins can be illegal.. just be careful whatever you do. If youre not the admin, ou have no idea what is being logged, and what is being looked at..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

You are right Im not the network admin.
    Thanx for the help anyway.

Advertisement