Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Gemini Dish Installation

• 14-04-2003 4:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I was reading What Satellite TV magazine recently and i saw the Gemini dish advertised, which has about 5 lnb holders specially positioned to recieve Astra 1, Astra 2 and Hotbird all from the same dish.

What i am wondering is, how would you install this?.
    I know that at least one of the lnb's will be facing in the same direction as my current dish, i.e. at 28 degrees, so if i put all the lnbs into the holders, and just elevate it in a way that the lnb farthest to the left is pointing at 28 degrees will the other lnbs fall into place and get 19.2 degrees and 13 degrees?.
    I know that this is what the dish is designed to do,
    but im wondering if anyone had any experience with doing it with this or any similiar dish?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. The LNB holder on arm is probabily pointing at 19.2. 28.E will probabily be left most. Depends on design, dish size and which satellite

Also you probabily need a 90cm dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Actually yes that makes sense,
    the focal point of the dish would of course be 19.2 degrees and then the others will fall into place, the dish im talking about is 90cm so it should be ok.

look at my 2 year old site:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~watty/satellite/sathowto-p6.htm

lnbs2.jpg

(I have 2 dishes with multiple LNBs and mechanically better brackets :D now too. Must post fresh site soon with new pics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

http://www.xs4all.nl/~s0ud/sat.htm

Look at the pictures on the bottom,language is dutch

Astra 1/2, sirus an hotbird on a 100cm dish .Positon.Holland

(Translation given ---10cent per word;) ;)

Watty,
    is the picture of the dish that you posted on the ground or is it up on a wall?.

Is it possible to put the dish on the ground, if its going to be in a place that nobody will walk by it or disturb it?, and then just secure it with bolts.

Thats one of the things that i would be worried about in terms of installing it myself, having to go up and down a ladder, and it not being convenient to move around and adjust dish as neccesary.

• Advertisement

BTW, am i right in thinking that my Sky digital box with the LNB at 28 degrees will now have much reduced signal quality if i go ahead with this?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by TVDX
    BTW, am i right in thinking that my Sky digital box with the LNB at 28 degrees will now have much reduced signal quality if i go ahead with this?.

Nah. 13/19/28 provide oodles of signal for us and most of your dish will go to wasted when only picking up one bird.

A sky digital dish is actually more advanced and engineered than pretty much any other dish on the market. Its light/small and yet makes the most of what it sees, is cheap and durable.

From your perspective of adding multiple LNB's to it, it should not prove difficult as the beamwidth (how far left and right the dish can see) is quite wide and this is true for practically all tiny dishs and this means they are easy to align and suitable for modification. the trade off is that with a wide beam width you also gather lots of noise but as we are in the sweet spot in ireland for pretty much anything you want, noise wont prove a problem.

A very offset LNB on a 90cm dish gets more signal than centre LNB on a mini-dish as the 90cm dish has 4 to 6 times gain.

My dishes are along edge of a very flat shed roof, accessible with step ladder.

Due to high hedge/wall, the lowest a dish works in my house is 4ft off ground on a back wall.

The view of dish is at more upward angle than it appears (about 24 degrees).

On a north wall (or north west wall) very often the dish wich faces south east only needs to be shoulder height. Often you could drill the holes standing on ground.

A 200ft cable run is no problem as the signal is amplified in LNB.

My cables (many including phone, PC network coax, PC cat 5 LAN, TV and several satellite) are in a pipe I laid under the lawn from shed / workshop at back of garden. They come up in Kitchen and some go to living room. I used cheap white waste pipe like on kitchen sink or washing machine outlet. Special PVC glue is used to make the "knees" waterproof.

I left a steel cored washing line in to pull more wires in and pull in a washing line with new cable.

Advertisement