Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via €54???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

am waiting for the RADSL self-install kit to arrive from VIA in the next few days or so, but am a bit sceptical about the usb modem, as I've to set up a network across the house; which means leaving my comp. on all day. Would the DLink DSL-504 be a more suitable solution than VIA's Zyxel USB modem, what with having RADSL instead of standard ADSL? It's on Peats.com for EUR170.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

my god, dealing with VIA is just bliss compared to dealing with eircom. they said it takes 11 days, which is basically giving eircom 10 days, and they get their work done in a day.

So i'm getting the self install using my own ADSL router.

Set up Cost:

Monthly cost:

45 - ADSL
    10 - domain

all ex vat.

- fixed ip
    - no cap
    - 2 month contract length
    - genuinely concerned and helpful
    - definite stress reduction

just cancelled my order with eircom. very satisfying.
    Originally posted by Terminator
    I'm going with via too. Told em to forget about the €10 domain charge and just charge me €55 for broadband. Don't need the hassle of a domain name I'm not gonna use.

how does that work. i don't want the hassle of a domain i'm not going to use either. did they send you out a special form just for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

When they ring you to see what domain name you want just tell them you don't need a domain name but you're happy to pay €55 for the dsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Terminator
    When they ring you to see what domain name you want just tell them you don't need a domain name but you're happy to pay €55 for the dsl.

Thats 55 ex vat right ?
    Unless you're getting a better deal? :)

• Advertisement

yeah it's ex vat. exact same deal. just don't get a domain.

VIA just rang me back within 10 mins of sending off a question in an e-mail.

tis nice and handy, if you don't want the hassle with registering a domain, just don't send in the domain registration form, and just tick the domain box on the application form for the ADSL. You'll get charged the extra 10 a month on top of the 45, but won't have to bother with the hassle of another domain, it'll also save VIA some money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Your right Aidan,

For any webmasters, it could be a good way of getting a customer to pay your internet bill on the sly! Although E120 p/a for even a .ie is a tad steep to charge - but depends who you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

Hi folks!

You've already seen the offical line in an email from our sales staff - basically the company's position is it is a business ISP.

As you can appreciate I'm restricted in what I can and can't say, but that's the decision. Having said that, my understanding is that the RADSL self install product is available nationwide.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by p2p
    Nope you can get a netgear
    adsl modem/4 port router/firewall which is also wireless
    here for only €289 including delivery from uk to ireland.

(Unless of course you were being sarcastic ) :)

This may be a bit of a stupid question, but with the wireless router/firewall/modem, does it need to be hooked up to a computer, once it is setup?

My understanding is that once it's setup, one can connect to it either using a wired or wireless internet connection (with multiple simultaneous connections)?

The reason I ask, is that i mainly use a laptop, which I take to work also, and so the router would not be connected to a computer most of the time.

Thanks,

Ro

Originally posted by Ro-76
    This may be a bit of a stupid question, but with the wireless router/firewall/modem, does it need to be hooked up to a computer, once it is setup?

nope. any modem/router is pretty much a little computer, it's got some memory and processing power, it doesn't need any computer to function.

you can go into work with your laptop and it'll work straight away without plugging anything in, and it'll work straight away when you get home (assuming you leave your router powered on).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by Ro-76

My understanding is that once it's setup, one can connect to it either using a wired or wireless internet connection (with multiple simultaneous connections)?

The reason I ask, is that i mainly use a laptop, which I take to work also, and so the router would not be connected to a computer most of the time.

Thanks,

Ro

Yeah, just hook it up next to your phone socket, as far as i know Netgear is administered and configured entirely through your webbrowser.. Im looking for the same solution, hook up Netgear next to the socket, main computer in the living room and me and my dad roam around on our laptop around the house (ofcourse I get more battery time with my powerbook, haha :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Does anyone know what self-configuration is required to use VIA's service if you've bought a 3rd party (ethernet) modem?

(I mean, whats the minimum you would have to do to 1) the modem, and 2) the OS of the computer(s) to which it connects?)

after waiting four working days and cancelling my order this morning, I just got a call from eircom now, ready to give me my username and password for the DSL. (it'd still take 10 working days though to get it set up at the exchange).

I felt bad saying I had cancelled the order, as the guy sounded like he was doing a really good job. But oh well.

7 O'clock is pretty late to be getting a call about this. They really must be trying to cope with the demand as best they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Emm so what do you do if your not a business? and you want to get the DLS product?

Just give via ring, they'll sort you out and are very helpful. but you just send in the form. they're offically a business ISP, but they'll still take you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

oh lord i thing im going to wet myself

good speed no cap and fairly cheap NO WAY "checks to see if hes in ireland still"

ill be calling today see whats happening for cork city i live less than a mile from the big exchange in cork and my line passed the esat online availabity test plus my line is around 7 years old should be ok

i hope :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

Would I be correct in assuming that with your own domain and the fixed IP, you could point the domain at your fixed IP and host your own mail and web server?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Damian
    Would I be correct in assuming that with your own domain and the fixed IP, you could point the domain at your fixed IP and host your own mail and web server?

Yes Damian , for a non graphic intensive site it would work ok but remember that your uplink speeds are limited to 128kbs so any heavy graphics or site usage would severly degrade performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Not really suitable for a public website. But my plan (and I have a plan) is to run the web scheduler plug-in for showshifter from my machine with a TV card installed, then if I get stuck late in work I can just surf to tv.mydomain.ie and tell my computer to record Buffy ;) for me!

Lovley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by MrB
    Not really suitable for a public website. But my plan (and I have a plan) is to run the web scheduler plug-in for showshifter from my machine with a TV card installed, then if I get stuck late in work I can just surf to tv.mydomain.ie and tell my computer to record Buffy ;) for me!

Lovley.

hehe , nice idea MrB :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what are the chances VIA will pull the "not within the spirit of the service" crap that esat did before?

im looking at VIA, no cap is what I need and want for all that freeware and Linux ISO's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Over my cold cold grave will esat get my business after the SNL cutoff.......am hoping hoping that VIA turnes out to be UTV'esque ...ie great customer service and a real interest in the consumer..unlike ..[insert the obvious]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

their very nice on the phone

and to be fair to esat their guys are ok 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

does this mean the p/m rate is actually €66.5 after VAT thats including the domain thing in there as well.

So its like €66 a month, thats not so shiny any more to me :(

10 euro more that eircon and esat

but no cap
    no interleaveing (good so i here)
    a fixed ip
    and a domain name (some might want it)

so its not bad at all when you look at it like that m8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It's damn good!

No cap and interleaving off ... those 2 things alone put it miles ahead of Esat and Eircom's deals!

I signed up today... and I'm happy!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hey cool, eircom have got their way; people are now happy to pay over the odds for an uncapped service.

pie at lest where getting somewhere
    66 isnt to bad and its not like it would break the bank for most people

im happy to pay for it with the hope that with big uptake the price will come down and as they have a 2 month contract they will drop their prices if IF eircon and esat drop their prices or risk loseing money

so over all i thing its a step in the right way and happy to support them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by bizmark
    10 euro more that eircon and esat

Eircon charge 54.45 euros, Esat 49.49 euros (inc VAT).

Edit: By the way I noticed that Via (now Netsource) do not mention anywhere on their site that you actually need to purchase a domain name, in fact they mention that you have the "option" to purchase additonal services like a domain name.... http://www.netsource.ie/html/access_solutions.html

Advertisement