Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via €54???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Interesting... I've fired off an email asking them about it. If they did drop the domain thing they'll have a lot more customers.

Oh and the email address is enquiries@netsource.ie, not enquires@netsource.ie, as is written on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Spent several minutes looking at those two addresses trying to spot the difference (Need more coffee in the morning) :p

As far as I can tell this is still using an adsl exchange right ?

So if your on an ADSL enabled exchange, live within 5.5 Km of the exchange as the cable flies, have good connectivity to the exchange and the wind is blowing in the right direction, you can avail of the offer.........emmmmm.....not much good to users in 90 percent of the geographical area :(

Actually the rest of this post isn't relevant to this thread so I'll continue it on a new post

JWT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Reply from Netsource (which is nice as I wasn't really expecting a reply till Tuesday).
    As we are a business ISP we do not really cater for the home market, which is why our product is more geared towards business users.

The domain name comes as part of our product at 55 euros (Ex VAT).

A customer who already has a domain registered with us, can take the product at 45 euro.

"The domain name comes as part of our product at 55 euros (Ex VAT)." - That aint what the website implies lovie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ah come on your just looking for problums now pie

isnt this a lot closer to what we want that eircon or esat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its plain fact that as a business isp, their policy for a home dsl user to sign up is to register a domain. You will be told this when you ring up. The website is advertised as a business isp.

Its their way of making a bit of profit, anyway Netsource dsl product is alot better than whats on offer at moment. For 12.76 incl vat extra, you get that domain(useless or not), interleaving off, no cap, fixed ip and excellent/helpful support.
    Its either this or stick with eircon/esat offerings, you know how inferior theirs are like :)
    On this I ordered the service last wednesday morning :)

Analogy would be with utv 56k service where you had to sign up for their voice calls service in order to get utvip 30 euro offer, utv got something out of that deal and so did the consumer :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

only what the user got out of the utv deal is actually useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by gurramok
    Analogy would be with utv 56k service where you had to sign up for their voice calls service in order to get utvip 30 euro offer, utv got something out of that deal and so did the consumer :):)
    Except that they saved you money on voice calls, if you look at in realtion to the domain name you're paying over 12 times what you can buy a domain for with via. In this sense Via are costing you money, quite a chunk of it, also most people will use their phone for phone calls, I'm guessing not near so many will use the domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Hope I am wrong on this one but had a quick check of my friends Dsl(Eircoms solo flavour)and the pings are still the same:Shi$.Still getting 50-60 for irish sites and 70-90 for UK ones.So when Louise from Netsource said interleaving was turned off friday week ago did she mean for them only as this seems like a lot of hard work for Eircom not to do the whole lot.Or do they use seperate Dsl modems in the exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I would imagine that they just turned interleaving off for the RADSL product. I am open to correction tho'. I guess we will see when the first install actually happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Right lads this looks sweet... in fact my dad was even wondering about a domain name for his website... its just a crap website about his Garden but a domain name might entice him to this service.. we will split it.
    How would it work though? Would we leave the site where it is (on indigo's gofree server) and the domain name just forwards you there?

Anyway someone posted this link to an ADSL/modem router And im wondering. Right now i have a home network set up using a 10/100 16 port hub (3com officeconnect). There are 4 computers at most connected to it. Im currently having the attic converted so im rewiring the network and installing wall sockets to make things neater than under the carpet jobs. Anyway assuming i got VIA (very seriously thinking about it, no cap and interleaving off so should be great for games right?) and i got this ADSL router... it has a 1 port 10/100 port on it. Would i need to hook that into my hub to get 100mbs file sharing? I doubt the wireless option would give me that speed... Anyone know as i have never used a wireless product before.

Anyone have the service yet? What are ping rates like? in fact the Via rep i think posted here... any ping rates for us? For instance to: games2.iol.ie

on 56k i just got Minimum = 103ms, Maximum = 130ms, Average = 118ms

I heard the Eircon one would be between 60 - 90!! Still high!

[edit] I just sent them a mail, i know i have most of the info from here but i want it from them too. [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Saruman

How would it work though? Would we leave the site where it is (on indigo's gofree server) and the domain name just forwards you there?

Yes , you could do it that way.

I doubt the wireless option would give me that speed... Anyone know as i have never used a wireless product before.

The Wireless router that you posted works at a max speed of 11Mbits/sec (802.11b) and has a theoretical range outdoors at top speed of 120Metres and indoors of 60Metres.

But in the real world the transfer rates will be lower than standard wired 10mbit.If transfer speeds are more important then go with the wired option.

on 56k i just got Minimum = 103ms, Maximum = 130ms, Average = 118ms

Just pinged games2.iol.ie myself...

Minimum = 91ms , Maximum = 107ms , Average = 98ms

...but thats on surf no limits and seeing as the site is based on the same network I pinged eircon too and got....

Minimum = 90ms , Maximum = 96ms , Average = 93ms

....hoho faster pings to eircon from esat :P

carbsy.

Right thanks carbsy thats what i thought :D So i would be better off with an Ethernet modem (over USB definately) and then just share it with XP? Im assuming that will work.. i can share my modem that way and also my Satelite connection that way.

Hmmm the email i sent to Via bounced back:
    <enquires@netsource.ie>:
    No such user in domain netsource.ie (#5.1.1)

Will retry Tuesday, might be down over the long weekend.

The email address is wrong.

It is enquiries@netsource.ie

They spelt it wrong on their homepage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Right thanks carbsy thats what i thought :D So i would be better off with an Ethernet modem (over USB definately) and then just share it with XP? Im assuming that will work.. i can share my modem that way and also my Satelite connection that way.

You can connect that router and your existing hub with standard Cat5 too , that way you can have mixed wireless & wired clients.

<enquires@netsource.ie>:
    No such user in domain netsource.ie (#5.1.1)

Will retry Tuesday, might be down over the long weekend.

There's a typo in there , it should read -> enquiries@netsource.ie

So it is! :D Thats whats on their site.. well what i clicked on so i figured it would be right.. i re-sent it, did not bounce back and i mentioned the email thing at the bottom! Nice one for noticing!

Oh and carbsy, yeah i figured you could do that but the only reason i can see of doing that is to use my laptop out in the garden.. and eh., if im outside, the last thing i want to do is use a computer :D Ill just stick with the cabling option... i finished all of the cabling yesterday.. just need to stick a jack on one of the cables but i will wait till my room is cleared out of all the work stuff and i begin decorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Maybe they did it to stem the tidal wave of customers they'll be getting over the next few weeks :D Finally sent it without a "message undeliverable" mail coming back to me.

I tried calling them directly today but all I got was their auto answering machine, "all our reps are busy, we value your call....." Left a message anywho in case some decides to listen to those messages. On the other hand are they even working today?

Actually my mail to the RIGHT email address bounced back again... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Actually my mail to the RIGHT email address bounced back again... :D

Donno if this addy still works... but you can try it:
    nryan@vianetworks.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

is there one of those connection ratio things coing with the VIA product.. with and of the RADSL products actually..

like 25:1 or whatever it is..

that means like 25 users to the one line right .. or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

I've got eircom adsl atm, so I "guess" I am within the exchange :p
    I'll be trying to switch asap if interleaving is turned off, and I can finally have proper gaming pings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Interleaving is turned off on eircom's RADSL - period.

If you want to pay the €54.95 and are happy with 4GB cap per month, you don'y have to go with Via and pay €12.75 per month for a Domain name that you probably will never use...

One user is now getting pings of sub 20ms to eircom.net. I know it's only back to his ISP, but that speed should satisfy most gamers - if the cap isn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    is there one of those connection ratio things coing with the VIA product.. with and of the RADSL products actually..

like 25:1 or whatever it is..

that means like 25 users to the one line right .. or something?
    48:1. Basically 512k is allocated to be shared by 48 users. 1024k by 96 users and so on.

ehh thats crap :/

that measn u could end up haveing the same bandwith as a fecking 56k :/

less...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I switched over from Solo to the starter pack today. I'll report back on speeds etc in a couple of days.

It should be Friday at the latest according to the lass I spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    ehh thats crap :/

that measn u could end up haveing the same bandwith as a fecking 56k :/

less...

Not really adren, all broadband solutions are contended in some manner (the original i-stream is 24:1). The logic is that not everyone is downloading at the same time and so you usually get good speeds.

The problem occurs when you have a high concentration of heavy users on the same dslam.

What id like to know is if VIA radsl users share their DSLAM with eircom radsl users? or is it two seperate dslams.

If they share then it makes more sense for gamers to go with via. If they are seperate then the eircom one would be much better contended (on the assumption that all the warez monkeys will be with via)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Anyone know if eircom are likely to turn off interleaving on their solo offering as a mate gets it through work.I will pm louise from via about the solo flavour they offer(resale of eircoms)but thought I would try here first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by bizmark
    10 euro more that eircon and esat

but no cap
    no interleaveing (good so i here)
    a fixed ip
    and a domain name (some might want it)

so its not bad at all when you look at it like that m8

Got a call back from a well informed lady in Comreg this afternoon.

She filled me in on the action they took behind the scenes with Eircom over their mandatory modem issue.

She also acknowledged mine and others complaints about VIA mandating a domain name. They are really pissed at this too and she said they will be contacting VIA this week. She said no such bundling is allowed and they are also consulting legal advice about Esat and their 'free' modem - - -

It is clear that the more letters they get on this stuff the better.

So get writing REAL LETTERS folks ! not email's that are too easily ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Interleaving is turned off on eircom's RADSL - period

hmm, was on a site today with 1meg Eircom Dsl, pinging 'clarity.jolt.co.uk'. I was still getting 90ms times ?? worse than isdn

hmm, was on a site today with 1meg Eircom Dsl, pinging 'clarity.jolt.co.uk'. I was still getting 90ms times ?? worse than isdn

But the 1MB option isnt the RADSL (rate adaptive) It is the original Eircom product. Interleaving is still enabled on that.

• Advertisement

Got a reply today from VIA.

I asked if I used the VIA Product for the 2 month period and decided not to pay for anther two months thereafter the 2 months were up would I be able to reconnect say 3 months later with out any other cost apart from another €66 a month?

The reply, which annoyed me was

No, I would apparently have to pay for the installation charge again.

Surely this isnt right.. to pay the installation charge each time u want to reconnect?

Advertisement