Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via €54???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Esats 90 euro product using their default modem, is nice and fast both ping wise and download wise.

64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=3 ttl=248 time=23.5 ms
    64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=4 ttl=248 time=24.0 ms
    64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=5 ttl=248 time=23.7 ms
    64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=6 ttl=248 time=26.8 ms
    64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=7 ttl=248 time=27.8 ms

Those are impressive and way nicer than a similar product from eircom:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=248
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=248

Thats a huge differnce really isn't it :-)

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

I think via are right, if you terminate the contract then thats it kaputski bye bye see you again, they wont leave your line enabled theyll downgrade it so yes youll have to reconnect and pay the installation again to have your line re-enabled

Thats whta good ole AOL do anyways

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Esats 90 euro product using their default modem, is nice and fast both ping wise and download wise.

64 bytes from clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): icmp_seq=3 ttl=248 time=23.5 ms

Those are impressive and way nicer than a similar product from eircom:

Thats a huge differnce really isn't it :-)

What's your test environment? Have you got access to both services or are these on entirely different systems? First output looks like Linux, the second looks like Windows. The issue I have with this information is that it's only a fair comparison if

1) It's exactly the same system config
    2) Same hardware
    3) Same contention

For example, if you've got a hardware firewall in your router, then having the software firewall enabled (in XP for example), makes no sense at all.

Otherwise this is data for datas sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

so.

what will i be paying per month, all tax included etc?
    im a bit confussled atm :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    What's your test environment? Have you got access to both services or are these on entirely different systems? First output looks like Linux, the second looks like Windows. The issue I have with this information is that it's only a fair comparison if

1) It's exactly the same system config
    2) Same hardware
    3) Same contention

For example, if you've got a hardware firewall in your router, then having the software firewall enabled (in XP for example), makes no sense at all.

Otherwise this is data for datas sake.

That is completely unrealistic, no one (except perhaps Eircom, Esat and Netsource) are going to have all the different services and be able to test them on exactly the same environment.

The best we can do is compare with other broadband users here on boards and with friends and that is fine.

I can assure you the three points you mention together might make for a difference of between 1 - 4 ms, but certainly not 50 ms.

Anyway I don't think anyone would dispute these figures, similar figures have been published numerous times on boards in the past.

Flamegrill seems to be comparing Esats 256k LLU product which has interleaving turned off, against Eircoms iStream products (non radsl), which have interleaving turned on. Interleaving is widely known to add a great deal of overhead to DSL and would be consistent with the results that Flamegrill quoted.

It is yet to be seen if Eircom will have interleaving turned on or off for their RADSL products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by conZ
    what will i be paying per month, all tax included etc?

think its 66.55 + line rental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Wish this was available in my area I would jump at it big time :(

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

mm...
    and is that domain like www.MYNAMEHERE.ie or members.netsource.ie/mynamehere? the first one i presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

Also, is it just for the domain name or do you get some webspace with VIA?

Or do you have to redirect the domain to your computer or some other web hosting service (like one of the freebie ones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Flamegrill seems to be comparing Esats 256k LLU product which has interleaving turned off

Esats 256kbs product? I thought we were talking 512kpbs / 128kpbs RADSL here.. if esats has the RADSL residential product is at 256k down then its likely to be 64 up. But still I was under the inpression that its a 512k / 128k service?

If not then how much are they charging for the 256k service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

esats is 564k it says so on their site

"up to 564k"

sure ure not mistaking 564 with 512 .. i didnt think there was a rate 564kps?

When is this service from East being released again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

mid may and yes its 512 /128kb sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Adren , bizmark. What he was referring to is Esats previous residential offer. it was a 256/128 ADSL service which never really took off (due to esat not releasing it in very many exchanges.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Got a reply today from VIA.

I asked if I used the VIA Product for the 2 month period and decided not to pay for anther two months thereafter the 2 months were up would I be able to reconnect say 3 months later with out any other cost apart from another €66 a month?

The reply, which annoyed me was

No, I would apparently have to pay for the installation charge again.

Surely this isnt right.. to pay the installation charge each time u want to reconnect?

Of course its right!! Any company be it Eircom, NTL etc.. will charge for installation again if you no longer get the service. The only exception i know is BT in the UK, they had ads going that said if you come back to them you will not have to pay for install again.. im not talking ADSL here im talking normal phone lines.. its standard practice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Esats 256kbs product? I thought we were talking 512kpbs / 128kpbs RADSL here.. if esats has the RADSL residential product is at 256k down then its likely to be 64 up. But still I was under the inpression that its a 512k / 128k service?

If not then how much are they charging for the 256k service?

As Dustaz pointed out I was (and I assume Flamegrill was) talking about Esats previous residential service that has been "sort of" available since just before christmas. It was local loop unbunled, ADSL based, 256k / 128k (Esats business service is 512k / 256k) and cost Eur 60 per month.

Their new residential service is based on Eircoms wholesale RADSL service, it is 512k / 128k (possibly 256k if you are far from the exchange) and costs EUR 49 per month.

I have been unable to email them at all.. Every single email address i try bounces back straight away... Strange.. so i tried from work instead of my home email.. and so far nothing has bounced back.. all i sent was a test email.

I wonder.. I use Indigo which is owned by Eircom.. do you think maybe they have blocked the email address?? Any other indigo users out there? Send some test mails to enquiries@netsource.ie or sales@netsource.ie or support@netsource.ie. None work for me on indigo.

Quick update.. Louise McKeown (Sales & Marketing Manager) from netsource replied back to my test email within about 20 mins or so.

I just replied asking for info etc.. Anyway I mentioned the indigo thing... this could be curious.. Also any Eircom.net users out there might want to try emailing them.

How many days has it been since anyone signed up to the VIA product.. any news.. any connections made yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by conZ
    mm...
    and is that domain like www.MYNAMEHERE.ie or members.netsource.ie/mynamehere? the first one i presume.

I was told it was a .ie

Originally posted by NóMur
    Also, is it just for the domain name or do you get some webspace with VIA?
    Or do you have to redirect the domain to your computer or some other web hosting service (like one of the freebie ones).

They offer hosting at extra rates.

25mgb of Unix Hosting € 28.75
    25 Mgb Windows 2000 hosting € 49.95

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Just ordered it this morning, still can't quite believe my line is passing but I'm not complaining. The sales man told me it would be about 2 weeks, very busy he says. Also, I registered a myname.ie domain, there's no problem so far with it so I guess its ok :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've successful mailed and recieved a reply from VIA about there dsl product about a week ago and i've and eircom.net address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Piliger
    Got a call back from a well informed lady in Comreg this afternoon.

She filled me in on the action they took behind the scenes with Eircom over their mandatory modem issue.

She also acknowledged mine and others complaints about VIA mandating a domain name. They are really pissed at this too and she said they will be contacting VIA this week. She said no such bundling is allowed and they are also consulting legal advice about Esat and their 'free' modem - - -

It is clear that the more letters they get on this stuff the better.

So get writing REAL LETTERS folks ! not email's that are too easily ignored.
    I also contacted comreg in relation to this and this is what happened....

"Thankyou for your correspondence regarding Netsource.

It seems that Netsource are offering their potential customers a package
    whereby you must take a domain name as part of the package. This is a
    commercial decision by Netsource and therefore the commission cannot
    intervene in this case.

There are several ISP providers in the market if you wished to seek out
    a more favorable package to DSL.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further enquiries.

Yours Sincerely
    Mary Quinn
    ComReg"

Dunno wtf she was on about more favourable package to dsl (they have my address so should realise that wireless is fking useless to me), does she know about someone else with DSL with no cap for same fee? Or is something coming along....

On the web space provisioning - it's a business package. You've got a static IP address and a domain name. Set up our own web server, waddya want, instructions? See http://www.apache.org. An average business website is like 4 Mbs of content. A (ahem!) "business" would have more than A PC.

Am I completely M-A-D?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Also, I registered a myname.ie domain, there's no problem so far with it so I guess its ok

I asked about a .ie and was confirmed to me that I had to be a company to register a .ie and that I couldn't provide my own hosting.

Did you register without company details? Did you really get myname? Does anyone know if you can host on your own PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by amby666
    I asked about a .ie and was confirmed to me that I had to be a company to register a .ie and that I couldn't provide my own hosting.

Dot ie name registering is a whole different kettle of fish than dot com.There's a whole bunch of red tape that will slow down your DSL application.

My advice for the average home user is to either pick a dot com domain (if they allow you) or to ditch the whole domain name bit in order to speed up your application , that is if you wanna see DSL this side of Crimbo :p

N.B. You will still have to pay for the domain name whether you avail of the service or not.

I wonder will they let you hold off on domain name.. as in Get the DSL and pay for domain and then worry about domain name once you have the DSL working... would be better that way. My dad does want one.. dont know why.. his website is crap but so what... i dont mind.

Taking the domain name is a minimum requirement according to the website. I guess this makes sense with a static IP because you'd only really want a static IP for mail serving/web serving. It's a business package that would typically expect there to be a "business with a name" using it - therefore, a domain name should be apparent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia
    Taking the domain name is a minimum requirement according to the website. I guess this makes sense with a static IP because you'd only really want a static IP for mail serving/web serving. It's a business package that would typically expect there to be a "business with a name" using it - therefore, a domain name should be apparent :D

You're missing the point DSLinAbsentia , you can still have a dot com business name.Dot ie is a pile of p*ss anyhow :rolleyes: ...but that's a different matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Smidders

Anyone got an idea what USB modem you get from Netsource?? I've sent them an email yesterday evening but no reply yet....

Imaptient bugger ain't I ?!?!?

Smidders.

Advertisement