Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via €54???

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Originally posted by djste18
    25mgb of Unix Hosting € 28.75
    25 Mgb Windows 2000 hosting € 49.95 [/B]

I'm no expert, but surely the Unix hosting would be more "secure" for a start?
    How do they manage to charge so much for Windows hosting?
    (Or do a lot of companies need FrontPage extensions support?)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Igy

Usually there are higher license fee and hardware costs with windows.

It is the norm for hosting services to charge more for windows then for *nix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Igy
    I'm no expert, but surely the Unix hosting would be more "secure" for a start?
    (Or do a lot of companies need FrontPage extensions support?)
    Maybe it's a danger fee, presumably a windows server would be targeted far more by crackers et all than a Unix server. Also they can probably charge a premium because idiots will think, ooh windows, I've got that on my computer at work, better be safe about it.

BTW, if anyone is actaully looking for decent price hosting then check out www.sourcecod.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Just had an email from Netsource stating that they had just received confirmation that there will be an extra 4 day wait on €ircon to get lines ready for customers outside the greater Dublin area.

€ircon @ it again! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Netsource is leaving a sour taste in my mouth already. Louise promised a callback yesterday afternoon, no callback. Rang again today, asked for a callback, no callback. Starkly reminiscent of Eircom.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

To be fair to them, they are a 'business' provider and have probably been swamped with residentials they hadn't expected.

I also rang for one of the guys yesterday morning, and Louise said he wouldn't be in till about 9.30, and would call me then. Suppose I got the call back at 10-10.30, so it's ok.
    I think they're, which is more than can be said 4 €ircon..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm a business customer amby666. One that can afford the "Premier" product.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I've been dealing with Nicola in Via and she's everything that the Eircom people aren't!
    She calls when she says she will....
    She knows what she's talking about...
    She volunteers information...

Heh... I'm happy with Via! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Rang again today, asked for a callback, no callback. Starkly reminiscent of Eircom.
    I'm not going to make a direct comment on Via as I haven't had any details with them (and I'm not trying to drag the thread OT either, circling trolls) but not making promised callbacks is one of the worst mistakes any company can make (to businesses or small consumers). There are plenty of Adam Beechers who'll take their custom elsewhere where they can.

Advertisement