Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relegation Clear Out Sales

• 14-04-2003 9:28am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having a look at the Premier League table this morning, with Sunderland already down and West Brom nearly there too. West Ham, Bolton and Birmingham are all battling over the last place. I don't think that Fulham will go down or anyone above that.

In a few of these squads, there's some quality players like Phillips, Defoe, Morrison and whoever. Naturally some of these are going to go either by choice or necessity.

So, anyone care to speculate on who's going where?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well I can see alot of moving from Sunderland anyway. Phillips will probably leave but who knows where he'l go. Chelsea maybe although they don't seem to be going mad in the transfer market these days.

As for West Ham, Joe Cole and Kanoute have both been heavily linked with Liverpool in the last few weeks. Then there's David James. I can see him moving to Man City seen as how Schmeichel will be calling it a day at the end of this year. And I doubt Di Canio will stay there if they go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Of the teams mentioned in the relegation battle, West Ham have clearly the most talented squad. I could see most of their top stars (Cole, Kanoute, James, Sinclair, Dafoe, Di Canio, Bowyer, Carrick) leaving. As for Sunderland, I feel more sorry for the 80+ employees who have just been made redundant than the 15 or so players that are going to be sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Reports from KopTalk say that Steve Finnan has already passed his fitness test at Anfield and that Fulham have agreed to a 6million bid for the player.

Elsewhere in the relegation battle, Dugarry on loan to Birmingham has been linked to Liverpool but if Birmingham stay up I'd say Steve Bruce will do his best to get him to sign a full contract.

Ciano your right there when you say the amount of quality that West Ham have. It's a shame they might go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by jonno
    Dugarry on loan to Birmingham has been linked to Liverpool

Another dodgy signing from Houiller! :rolleyes: If he wants a player like Dugarry, why did he ever sell Litmanen?? Hes a similar style player to Dugarry, but hes far better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Looking at the table it looks like it could be West Ham alright. I think if they do go down they'll be one of those teams that stay down for a while, unless they can pull off a major coup and hold on to one or two of their 'big' players.
    I can nearly see di Canio staying around a while but outside of that they'll have to follow the likes of Wimbledon and start a long re-building process.

Two big crunch games coming this week with W.Ham V Bolton and of course Ars V Utd. You'd almost think it was set up for a tantalising finish to the season.

Just looking at the fixtures over the next few weeks neither team looks like they have an obvious advantage over the other. W.Ham look like they're hitting form at the mo but Bolton have been very gutsy all season.

I'm going for W.Ham to win on Sat leaving Bolton still ahead on goal difference and look forward to a great finish to the season.
    Think W.Ham will just pip them though, which is a pity for big Sam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Di Canio would be a great signing for man utd if they drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I'd like to see McAteer, Kilbane, and Morrison all playing Premiership rather than Nationwide football if they are to continue as Ireland regulars. Different from them being good enough though...

Advertisement