Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton........WAHEY!

• 14-04-2003 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Im surprised there hasn't been a thread already about their excellent season!

Im an evertonian (duh!) and have been right through all 'the relegation scares', 'the wonder goal by Gareth Farrelly to save our asses a few seasons back', and maybe even 'the odd 1 nil victory over Man U in the FA Cup Final '95' :)

David Moyes has awoken a sleeping giant of a football team, and he seems to get the best out of all players.....and we might very well even finish above Liverpool this year. Its great!

Lets not do a Sunderland of it all though and get greedy about the champions league. Finishing in the top half of the table this season is enough to put a smile on my face :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Yeah, fair play to David Moyes. Hes done fantastically well with a squad of mostly average players. I dont think they'll climb above Chelsea for the last Champ League spot. As for finishing above Liverpool ... I think that will come right down to the last Merseyside derby of the season. In fairness, they've been far better than Liverpool this season, and so well deserve to finally finish above them in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

David Moyles Should get Manager of the Year ,he hasnt bought anyone yet has put together a team of Journeymen and Young Lads who are competing for a champions league spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Theres no taking away from Moyes achievments, but I'd say Southampton's achievments have been even greater, given the small stature of the club.

Not only are they playing great footie, and will probably qualify for Uefa via the league, but they've reached the final of the FA cup too.

So congrats to Moyes, but 3 cheers for Strachan.
    He's my manager of the year!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

yes hooray for strachan

but the way moyes has handled rooney has been brilliant, he looks as if he could be as good as anyone in five years if he isnt already.

well done everton - great season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

True, I think Gordon Strachan is a fantastic manager.

i remember when he first took over at Southampton the fans weren't too pleased. Them fans have surely eaten their own words now though! He's a great manager. You can see from his 'antics' on the sideline that its all a passion for him. Thats what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Fair play to the two Scots boys. Southampton were 19th when Strachan took over, Everton were living in the basement of the premiership when Moyes took over. What a turnaround, if the Saints win the FA Cup then GS has to get Manager of the Year (unless Man U win the Champs League and Premiership that is).

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Years of loyalty are finally being rewarded.

Moyes has been a revelation. Practically the same (average)squad of players as the team that looked bound for division one just over a year ago and now challenging liverpool and chelsea with a few games to go - remarkable.

stats check:
    Everton have yet to score 3 goals at home this season but still won 10 and lost just 1 of the 16 games so far. I think that shows how much they've been grinding out the results. Moyes must have a William Wallace presence in the dressing room!

I hope to get into Goodison next saturday to witness the season climax against the reds! Should be a cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

He keeps this up and he may well have Fergies job whenever he moves on. If he was at any other club I would say he would have a good chance of getting the Liverpool job if Houllier departs for one reason or another during the summer. But I can't see the Pool hiring an Everton manager.

Originally posted by knobbles
    I hope to get into Goodison next saturday to witness the season climax against the reds! Should be a cracking game.

Cool. tell us how it goes if you do actually go to the game :)

I couldn't see Moyes going to Liverpool EVER. In the first place like, the Liverpool directors wouldnt even consider snatching the manager of their rivals.

Another point made earlier about moyes' handling of Wayne Rooney being good. I agree, in fact its handled excellently by Moyes. He doesn't let the youngster feel like the team revolves around him. Rooney is full of confidence and playing him every game from the start would ruin it all.

I didn't really like seeing him into the england team so early either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well i got a ticket outside an hour before kick-off for £60 stg which was good goin cause there was hardly anything goin. pity about the result. everton were poor though liverpool hardly deserved much themselves. great buzz, not a great game.

everton will do well to finish top 6 next year if they don't get some quality into the midfield - joe cole, steve mcmanaman?
    still, if they hang on to 6th spot, it's been a great year.
    i just hope it's not a once-off like 96 with joe royle when they also finished 6th - their only other top half finish in the premiership.
    i'd be worried it may be

• Advertisement

96 was the year after they won the FA Cup wasn't it? I remember that winning goal well by Paul Rideout. I was so ecstatic I jumped out of my seat and started banging my head off the filing cabinet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Do you know whats great though being an Everton fan....Its the likes of texts and emails i get from liverpool and chelsea fans who are friends of mine going "ha-ha" and to be honestly be able to reply to them ad say so what!!!
    We are still going to finish in the top 8 now i do honestly think...(blackburn and spurs aint too far behind us) and also to be able to say to them that that in its own right isn a fantastic fantastic achievemnet.

More power to David Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Just as long as Everton don't do what Ipswich did, finish in the top 6 one season and get relegated the next. Doubt if that'll happen though.

Advertisement