Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT/IOL Broadband

Options
  • 14-04-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hello -

Just called 1800 923 111 about this:

http://www.esatbt.com/ie/pressrelease/20030410a.html

Install charge of €190, includes modem (you can't use your own, apparently); €49.49 a month; 5 GB cap; dynamic IP.

A larger cap than Eircom, but which is preferable overall?
    I failed my LoS test for IBB, and I'm desperate for broadband.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its alot more expensive but the €90 a month option is better, no cap on it
    Cheaper then what Eircom has = to a unlimited cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Check out the VIA option

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Since I'm using the Esat residential ADSL, I asked if I could be switched over to this new IOL/Esat broadband option. I was told that I'll be automatically switched to the higher speed and lower cost.

So, good news all around.

I still think it's much better than the Eircom option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

feckin esat.. checked practically every local number in my mobiles phone book and of course they all qualify for esat dsl but I dont.. looks like I'll have to move 5 mins up the road to get dsl this side of christmas. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Paulw

Did Esat say when they would transfer you over to the new product?
    I'm also on their Residential DSL service.

Nuno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Paulw
    Since I'm using the Esat residential ADSL, I asked if I could be switched over to this new IOL/Esat broadband option. I was told that I'll be automatically switched to the higher speed and lower cost.

So, good news all around.

I still think it's much better than the Eircom option.

Are you sure about that? I was going to get the res product you have, but I wasn't sure if I'd need to upgrade to the business product, I asked could I do this and was told it's quite complicated and the two are dealt with by two separate machines in the exchange, and that i'd have to be taken off the res dsl first, and it could take a further 28 days to be switched to business.

Reading back, that sounds like a load of horse sh1t, but i'd double check it if I were you Paul, it may not be "automatic"...I think it says in the FAQ page that it would take some time to be switched.

Ah, such is the life of an early adopter! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

They are not exactily killing themselves, an extra gig off the cap, and a fiver less .... :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was told mid/end May. I talked to the sales person I dealt with for my res ADSL. Maybe it's not automatic, but he did say that I was now going to be changed over.

Basically it's using the exact same technology, just a different speed/price. That's just configured on the DSLAM anyway.

I know that res and business are quite different connection types. Res is dialup using PPPoa, while the business one is using ethernet (with dedicated IP). Business and res they use different modems and it's a different connection on the DSLAM.

Advertisement