Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when did it all change?

Options
  • 14-04-2003 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm just trying to figure out exactly when america's attitude to Iraq/Saddam changed. I'm fairly sure that even after he invaded Kuwait, they were supportive of him (or atleast unsure as to how to react) ... So when did it all change? and what exactly happened to make the US change their policy on him. i was thinking perhaps it had something to do with not wanting him to have more control over (more) oil, but if he was an ally, then what would it matter? or were the kuwaitis more favourable as allies?

sheesh, i don't know. but any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saddam Hausein was only of any real use to the Yanks while the Iran-Iraq war was ongoing. The USA felt it had been humiliated by Tehran and the "Mad Mullahs" which of course they had with the embassy hostages rescue farrago. The Ayatollah Khomeini took power in 1979 overthrowing the pro-western Shah and established a religious Islamic republic.

The secular Saddam next door was seen as a buffer, a bulwark against Iran. When Saddam on one of his mad forrays into war decided to invade Iran the USA could'nt belive its luck and supported the Baghdad regime throughout that period. Iran "won" the war and everyone went off to nurse thier wounds.

Then Saddam started getting itchy palms again and started making noises about Iraqs 19th provence
    ie Kuwait (Kuwait was made a seperate country by the British when modern Iraq was created early last century)

The States knew perfectly well that Saddam had his eye on Kuwait but did'nt actually expect annexation. The Arab league was very worried and tried to broker a deal between the two.

The rest is history, though its worth noting that Maggie Thatcher was required to put some backbone into George Bush snrs response. A UN resolution was passed and Gulf War 1 happened.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think when the Saudis got worried that Saddam wasn't going to stop at the Kuwait / Saudi Arabia border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I think when the Saudis got worried that Saddam wasn't going to stop at the Kuwait / Saudi Arabia border.

The Saud family only got worried about that because the Americans showed them satellite photos showing Iraqi tanks massing in attack columns at the Kuwaiti border, ready to move into the oilfields in northern Saudi Arabia.

These photos were later proved to have been doctored. The Iraqis on the Kuwaiti border were in fact digging trenches and forming defensive lines, not massing an attack force.

This deliberate misinformation campaign is certainly a factor in Saudi Arabia's decision not to support the second war in Iraq. It doesn't help that the Saud family (unelected dictators) are hated by the people of Saudi Arabia, most of whom would have supported the Iraqi regime and despise the Americans because of their ongoing support for the rule of the Sauds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mike65 summed it up well.

America were never such much allies of Saddam, as pro keeping Iran occupied and ensuring that they had friendly nations (as opposed to "friends") in an area of huge geopolitical importance. Foremost amongst concerns was keeping the Soviets out of the place. Iraq was secular and were a bulwark against the Islamic tide rising in Iran.

It's interesting that an Iraqi plane bombed an American ship (USS Stark) in '87, only 4 years short of the first gulf war, and the US retaliation mostly involved shooting at Iran :) Obviously the transformation between Iraq as a friend and foe happened very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

None are so dangerous as those with such easy principles!

Advertisement