Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Modem Prices (in Eire)

Options
  • 14-04-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

I thought with everyone getting ADSL now, and a lot of people wishing to buy their own modems, we could start a thread giving all information we have on ADSL modems/routers/switches/wireless (Since we hear they are of such better value to Eircom's supplied modem).

I'll start off (All inc. VAT)

http://www.marx-computers.com

Internal PCI ADSL modem 75euro
    External USB ADSL modem 98euro
    Modem/Router/4-port eth switch 155euro

http://www.itdirect.ie

Internal PCI ADSL modem 88,64euro (D-Link)
    External USB ADSL modem 94,95euro (D-Link)
    External USB ADSL modem 100,75euro (US Robotics)
    Modem/Router/ Prntl cntrl 4 port ethernet 126,99euro (Netgear)

(I havent been able to find any ADSL modem/router products with wireless capabilities built in for sale yet.. just seen it on company websites.. anyone have any info?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

If you don't want a bunch of plugs and wires and are looking for a router solution with wireless, then you can get the Netgear DG824M wireless router/gateway/modem all-in-one for about 210 Euro from dsl-warehouse.co.uk.

4x 10/100 ethernet
    802.11b 11Mbps Wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

I realise this is a pretty dumbass question, but if I buy the Netgear DG824M wireless router/gateway/modem thingy, do I then need to buy additional wireless "receivers" for each device I want to connect to the router? (ie PS2, Gamecube and Mac). I assume these are not boxed with the router?
    If I do have to buy such things, how much do they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, you would need a wireless receiver for each device..

These are usually between €50 and €90 for PCMCIA (laptop) wireless cards, and slightly cheaper for PCI cards...

I don't know if the wireless will work with your GameCube and PS2, but this router does come with four standard ethernet ports, so its the best of both worlds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I think linksys do a wireless to ethernet adaptor which you could plug into the ethernet port on your gamecube, PS2 etc.

You might be better off asking on the wireless board though

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

By my reckoning the Netgear from dsl-warehouse.co.uk works out at £176 which would be closer to €265.

I've mentioned in other posts that the one I'm looking at is the Actiontec from Dabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Has anyone here ordered from dsl-warehouse already?
    What are they like, home much was delivery to Ireland, how long did it take?

Seriously thinking of ordering the D-Link DSL-604+ wireless ADSL router (http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/DSL-604+.html)
    from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Was just talking to someone in DSL Warehouse. They seem friendly enough. They are opening a .ie site in the next two weeks (little too late for myself). They will ship to Ireland now though, but it might be a little pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

which would be the best modem... PCI, USB or Ethernet?

From what iv read in here, Ethernet beats USB, but what about PCI?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

mbroaders - Did they tell you how pricey it would be to ship here? I mailed them last week no reply. 2 weeks is a little late for me as well!

conZ - The way I understand it, Ethernet is the best, USB is the worst (although by so little it make little difference), but easiest, PCI comes some ware in-between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I got a D link 504 ADSL router shipped for £10 sterling. Not too bad. I called them first to confirm they shipped to Ireland then was asked to send the sales guy a mail with my order number so they could manually change the delivery charge to £10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by CitySickness
    I realise this is a pretty dumbass question, but if I buy the Netgear DG824M wireless router/gateway/modem thingy, do I then need to buy additional wireless "receivers" for each device I want to connect to the router? (ie PS2, Gamecube and Mac). I assume these are not boxed with the router?
    If I do have to buy such things, how much do they cost?

The Netgear also has 4 x 10/100 Ethernet ports, so a standard ethernet cable will do the trick for you too.

The Wireless cards for PC's weigh in from 60-150 Euro and for laptops, they're around 80 Euro per card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Got a quote from IT direct of ~E280 for the netgear DG824M

I think the delivery from dsl warehouse is around STG25
    Which would make it roughly the same price as above.

Interesting about the .ie dsl warehouse, will this mean that they ship from ireland, hence bringing down the delivery cost (and probably the product cost) or will it be a mirror site with just a .ie domain and all prices in Euro.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Has anyone checked komplett.ie ?
    I don't know if these modems are compatibile with the version of DSL we have in Ireland, but since it's a .ie site I'd imagine they are:

3Com OfficeConnect CableDSL Gateway €61 inc. VAT

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL €135 inc. VAT

Billion Broadband Gateway 10/100 Mbps €53 inc. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Not 100% sure, but don't think any of them are modems...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by p2p
    Got a quote from IT direct of ~E280 for the netgear DG824M

I think the delivery from dsl warehouse is around STG25
    Which would make it roughly the same price as above.

Interesting about the .ie dsl warehouse, will this mean that they ship from ireland, hence bringing down the delivery cost (and probably the product cost) or will it be a mirror site with just a .ie domain and all prices in Euro.. ?

Does anyone know will all the .ie site prices then be subject to VAT @ 21% as komplett.ie's are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Conlai

Check the following site, they do some good reviews of adsl modem/routers.
    www.adslguide.org
    A mate bought the Solwise SAR715 which we installed no probs.
    They even have an Irish section on the web site.
    http://www.solwise-eire.com/

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by netman
    Has anyone checked komplett.ie ?
    I don't know if these modems are compatibile with the version of DSL we have in Ireland, but since it's a .ie site I'd imagine they are:

3Com OfficeConnect CableDSL Gateway €61 inc. VAT

3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Cable/DSL €135 inc. VAT

Billion Broadband Gateway 10/100 Mbps €53 inc. VAT

None of the above are modems but merely routers , you still have to add either a cable modem or dsl modem in order to avail of broadband.

A much better option would be to buy the Solwise SAR-110 Router/Modem combo here for €122.64 Inc. vat & delivery to Ireland.You can check out a brilliant review of it here.You simply won't get a better piece of kit for the money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

what about the sar 703 88euro inc vat and deilvery

got a good report in adslguide

Advertisement