Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from i-Stream to RADSL

Options
  • 14-04-2003 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone to eircom. Spoke to a chap who advised me that for the next three months there'll be no charge for switching from i-Stream to RADSL. Installation charges will kick in again after that.

It's worth considering methinks, especially as if you're already getting 512/128, you're not likely to drop much by switching over. Contention rations to RADSL are, according to the chap, 24:1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Just got off the phone to eircom. Spoke to a chap who advised me that for the next three months there'll be no charge for switching from i-Stream to RADSL. Installation charges will kick in again after that.

It's worth considering methinks, especially as if you're already getting 512/128, you're not likely to drop much by switching over. Contention rations to RADSL are, according to the chap, 24:1.

48:1, that's why it's cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by MadKevo
    48:1, that's why it's cheaper...

So he told me a fib!? Naughty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

i did the switch
    dload speeds are improved if anything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

What's the phone number to ask for the switch from i-stream solo to the cheaper DSL?

You can ring them on 1800 512 128.

I'd say the download speeds might have improved because the amount of users is still pretty low, GUI_XP. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. As new people pile on it will get more contended but for half the price I'll take the hit of the occasional slower than
    normal download. For average users like me I don't think it will make much difference.

Rang them today todo the switch. They said it would take 5 - 10 days to implement - someone will ring me when it is done. How long have others had to wait?

I finally decided to make the switch today and was told 2-3 days. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

GUI_XP can you post over on this thread at the Broadband section with your ping times as the lads are looking for anyone who has the new radsl service as the interleaving is suppose to be turned off
    Thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92354

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    GUI_XP can you post over on this thread at the Broadband section with your ping times as the lads are looking for anyone who has the new radsl service as the interleaving is suppose to be turned off
    Thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92354

That link should be...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92350

carbsy.

• Advertisement

Update: Just noticed that they switched me over yesterday. It went seamlessly my router reconnected automatically.

The interleaving certainly seems to have been set to a lower setting. I wonder is this deliberate or part of the auto training that is enabled between the DSLAM and the customer modem.

PING cgi01.indigo.ie (194.125.133.13): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 194.125.133.13: icmp_seq=0 ttl=250 time=27.113 ms
    64 bytes from 194.125.133.13: icmp_seq=1 ttl=250 time=24.838 ms
    64 bytes from 194.125.133.13: icmp_seq=2 ttl=250 time=24.124 ms
    64 bytes from 194.125.133.13: icmp_seq=3 ttl=250 time=24.309 ms
    64 bytes from 194.125.133.13: icmp_seq=4 ttl=250 time=28.587 ms
    ^C
    --- cgi01.indigo.ie ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 24.124/25.794/28.587 ms

Previously my latencies were about 60ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Just wondering packet when you switched from solo to radsl did you stay with eircom or go with on of the others,if so which. Maybe if you get a moment you would ping these for me and let me know how you fair out
    Thanks
    www.boards.ie
    www.jolt.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by crazyasafox
    Just wondering packet when you switched from solo to radsl did you stay with eircom or go with on of the others,if so which. Maybe if you get a moment you would ping these for me and let me know how you fair out

He has allready done so here

Advertisement