Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notebook questions

• 14-04-2003 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a notebook as mine is too slow. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the new mobile Intel chip and Centrino in general but there seems to be little enough out there yet. I am in a bit of a hurry to buy so I may not wait.
    Where is a good place to start looking for machines? I would like to buy in Ireland if possible but if the pricing just isn't here, I will consider UK.
    Also, if anyone has a model they just bought or are familiar with that has high end performance and all the connectivity (USB 2.0, Firewire, WiFi and Bluetooth) please let me know.
    Thanks, iwb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try a shop that sells laptops like PCworld...
    Also ITdirect i think sell some. read the thread at the top of this forum.. the one that says READ BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BUY! Someone must have posted something in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I picked up a Dell Inspiron 8200 Last month and I'm ver happy with it. €2300 ish Incl Vat. Absolutely fantastic system, and gives my hot and heavy desktop of a run for it's money.

P4 1.8
    256MB DDR
    30GB HDD
    DVD
    64MB DDR ATI M9 Graphics
    15" screen
    Built in 10/100 Network & Modem
    TV out

Alas it doesnt have USB 2.0 but I dont really need it...

As for Wireless. Theres 2 PCMCIA Slots on it for expansion, but I believe that the new Dell range has some built in bluetooth/WiFi stuff..

It's fully supported by Linux and Windows, I cant honestly say a bad thing about it...

The main thing that made me go for Dell was the 3 year warranty. Having spent some time doing notebook support for gateway, I have been in the middle of some horror stories of people just outside a one year warranty, and having huge repair costs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

try the link up the top of the page

community > commercial interaction > elara

their doing a very high end laptop on special this week. it still costs a bomb tho.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

I have Apple's 12" Powerbook
    g4/867Mhz w/ 640Mb RAM
    60gb Hdd, 2xUSB, Firewire, 10/100 Ethernet, Airport Extreme (801.11g), Video out [VGA or TV] audio in/out, bluetooth built in.. all for under 2600euro (inc VAT).

It's one sweet machine, wireless airport networking is so easy, the OS is the best part about Apple. Prior to OSX Id have never touched Apple products, but I switched last autumn, and Im glad I chose Apple's portable this January over the Sony VAIO or something.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the replies. I really wanted to try an Apple but I have found out that the VPN client I have to use and the Cisco IP SoftPhone aren't compatible. Also, I use a collaboration tool called Groove which won't be available for Mac for a while yet.
    I have found one machine that fits the bill perfectly but is way over my budget. It is a Toshiba but at E2,486 + VAT, it is very pricey. It's the Satellite Pro near the bottom of the page.
    http://www.encom.ie/Products.asp?CategoryID=10
    I guess I either find the money for it or put up with something lesser. The killer part is that it will be sold for 500 less in a month or two but I can't afford to wait.
    Thanks again for the feedback, iwb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

Im picked up a Compaq Evo 1020V

P4 2.4
    256mb ram
    15" XTFT
    40 gig
    DVD CDRW
    ATI 32MB VIDEO
    LAN
    V 92 Modem
    3 Year Warrinity
    USB 2
    S Video
    8 cell battery
    Pcmcia port
    IR Port
    Firewire 1394 port

Win Xp Pro

all for €1640 + VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

This is too tempting, wanted to get one for myself, but I just got a GRX616MP :(

Sony Vaio Z1SP
    Centrino 1.5GHz
    512Mb DDR SDRAM 266MHz,
    60Gb HDD,
    CDRW/DVD Combo,
    14.1" SXGA,
    ATI Radeon 7500C 16Mb,
    Audio,
    V90 Modem,
    Wireless LAN,
    Bluetooth,
    USB,
    Windows XP Professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you know anybody working in HP, the staff discount scheme is doing some great deals on laptops atm.
    A mate got a compaq presario last week, off the top of my head:

P4 2.4 (possibly even 2.8!)
    256MB
    40 Gig
    64 MB Ati GFX
    15" screen
    DVD/CD rw
    10/100 lan
    Built in WiFi
    Ports a go-go
    Unfortunately XP Home but you can't have it all (where would you put it?)

For about €1500
    That's only €50 more than I paid for my P3 933 Omnibook about a year ago :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

The Vaio Z1SP quoted above is a very similar spec to the Toshiba M10 and roughly the same price also. Any opinions on which might be better?
    Thanks, iwb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the tosh . mutch better .

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

Yeah the tosh is a better spec and cheaper (think its 2400 Ex), with the sony, you are paying for the extra software and name.

Advertisement