Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dubs Better Drivers

Options
  • 14-04-2003 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

im not a dub, i live in the country but did drive in dublin every day for nearly two years. Since moving home i think us culchies are brutal drivers (allthough i'm great obviously!!)

what do ye think?

Who are better drivers dubs or culchies? 18 votes

Dubs
    0% 0 votes
    Culchies
    44% 8 votes
    Irish are crap in general!
    55% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭reigninblood

KILL YOU I SAY !!!! HE WILL TRY AND KILL YOU!!! But dubs are better drivers definitely. And im a big feckin turf-stackin mucker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

i wont try and kill anybody who isnt driving in MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I disagree. Dubs are very aggressive drivers. They will lurch out into a tiny gap between cars without warning. They fly around roundabouts without indicating. They drive faster than everyone else. They do stupid overtaking maneuvers.

9 times out of 10 if I see a car/driver doing something stupid, it'll have a 'D' reg.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭reigninblood

An excellent metaphor for life I think. Beautiful.

i wouldnt call em aggresive. id call them efficient. and as for indicating dont get me started about people down here. the only time culchies indicate is to say thanks for a lorry they just passed. Plus with the state of the traffic in dub you have to be quick to get in the right lane to get wherever you're goin. I found dublin drivers far better at letting people out on to the road, much more courtious then culchies. Except taxis and dublin bus drivers who wont give you 5cm of their roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TmB,

The reason Dubs drive like its Death Race 2000
    is becuase they live in a city that choked up with traffic
    and so are bought up to claim whatever tarmac
    is'nt yet occupied. On the whole I'd say urban drivers are better than country types simply cos they learn to react quickly and "get a bloody move on!" Whereas culchis, esp those way out west are dreadful - slow, stupid and thats just when parking...:D

Mike.

i think everyone should be made drive in london for a while after they pass their test. that would harden people up!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can we add another option to the poll, then?

Urban non-dubs.

People in Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc.

- Dave.

need a mod to do that, i cant unless we start the whole thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I drive in Dublin a lot and, in general, other motorists will let you out at junctions or to move lane quite easily.

However, I don't think we can generalise - there are bad drivers everywhere.
    The thing is, when a lot of Irish drivers see an open country road ahead they driver faster and more stupidly.
    A typical example is the road from Carlow to Kilkenny. I have driven this route on occasion and the pure stupidity of some drivers - passing coming up to hills or passing a line of traffic as other vehicles are coming towards them.

The worst case I saw on this road was, a "driver", passing 6 to 8 cars, approaching a bend AND with his two kids STANDING between the seats !!!
    I mean, how stupid can a person be :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Horses for courses, etc.?

we used to run a B&B and i remember foreigners saying how terrified they were of driving in Ireland. Maybe we should just face facts and say we're crap as a whole. Must improve tuition or bring in drivers ed or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I presume you realise that 1 in 3 new cars registered last year where D regged. Not all D reg cars are owned by Dublin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

To be honest... Irish drivers in general arre crap! Dubs are better in the city but seem to lose it in the country, generally driving as if there is a bus lane on their left! However, dump a culchie is Dublin and watch them fall apart. I cover roughly 50,000 miles a year and could easily go into which county's are better! In clare i find people don't make it easy to overtake & in Limerick city if ya drive a beemer you're gonna find it extremely difficult to pull out in traffic!! Overall we're just pretty crap all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

in fairness Dubs are the better drivers. You'll never catch a car driving along on the hardshoulder in Dublin, let alone see a Driving Instrutror car driving on the hard shoulder !!!

I find the best roads to drive on , would have to be up North - they know how to use the over taking lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd probably say that there is a higher chance of finding better drivers in Dublin, but they also have another set of bad habits. Dublin's large size, extensive road network and sheer volume of traffic means that drivers there do need to be more observant and on their toes a bit more.

That said theres a hell of a lot of bad drivers there too so I went for option 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Went for option 3 also, very few indicate when either overtaking or pulling back into traffic, also you get the old van\micra sort of thing where said vehicle hangs out on the overtaking lane, oblivious to traffic trying to make progress, leading to ppl overtaking on the wrong side....

also roundarounds they either use the signals at the last moment or not at all...could go on but i won't...

Now london,thats a different matter, any hesitation at all and you've lost your chance, lane dicipline seems to be excellent and ppl indicate when needed, but i've noticed that some of the english holiday makers seem to loose all their driving skills\manners once they reach this country, our driving must be infectious...

Think the insurance companies should start rewarding drivers that complete refresher\advanced driving lessons? might help improve things...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

City ppl have to better drivers as its alot harder to navigate through the city but to say Dubs are better drivers then the rest is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i think everyone should be made drive in london for a while after they pass their test. that would harden people up!

Good idea. Even better: get everyone that doesn't know how a motorway is supposed to work (95% of Irish drivers, 5% of other EU drivers) drive on the German Autobahn for a bit, esp at about 40mph in the overtaking lane - that'll be a laugh

Advertisement