Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth gets wireless broadband trial

Options
  • 14-04-2003 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Silicon Republic(free=>beer)

14.04.2003 - A pilot wireless broadband scheme was launched by Dermot Ahern TD, Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources in Co Louth today. The public private initiative is one of several being undertaken across the country.

Digiweb, a Dundalk-based company has been awarded over €66,000 to carry out trials on the technology which may have the potential to deliver wireless broadband internet access to thousands of customers.

Digiweb’s WLAN project is centred on the larger towns of Dundalk and Drogheda and includes Ardee, Blackrock, Knockbridge and the surrounding hinterland. The project, with a mix of rural and urban zones also incorporates both local residential and business customers and is intended to represent a realistic test bed for the trailing of WLAN technologies.

“The WLAN initiative and the support of the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources has been a strong stimulus to the introduction of genuine high-speed, low-cost internet access to Louth,” said Colm Piercy, managing director of Digitweb. “Building on the momentum which this initiative has created we are pleased to announce that we are now in the planning stages of broadband services delivery to the neighbouring counties of Cavan, Monaghan and Meath and expect to be announcing broadband availability within further towns in the near future.

Digiweb’s new service will offer always-on internet connections to home or business users using an antenna unit attached near the roof to receive the signal. Prices start at €45 per month for a 512Kbps service and rise to €369 per month for a 2Mbps service.

This service is being initially offered in the North East region with other regions to follow soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

Can't wait! :D

Thanks for info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

It's interesting how little response there has been to this thread.

I live in Trim and have been mouthing here for ages about the advantages of broadband to a town so close to Dublin etc etc.
    There doesn't seem to be the remotist posibility that Trim will be included in the ADSL loop for a long time yet so why hasn't there been a better response in the NE to Digiwebs initiative.

I was on to them today and they said that if there was a big enough response from people that they coule have it up and running in 5 weeks.

Get the finger out gang and contact them.

P.S. I did point out to them that the price was a little on the hige side, but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

don't want to rain on your broadband parade but read my posts in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63628

I suppose if its a free trial it cant hurt,
    but it cost me €422.29(inc VAT) just to get a satellite "broadband" system installed, which never worked and removed again.
    Digiweb.... boooo,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Going by the statement above it seems they are doing something like IBB/Leap as customers will need a antenna on the roof which will be pointing at a main tower.But on the other hand if they are using satellite as their back haul it will truly still be sh$t for pings

Advertisement