Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Delayed.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Almost all the nodes in the DubWEST part of DublinWAN are running Micro$oft operating systems, there are a few Redhat boxes... RedHat 8 & 9

as for games... ah lads you dunno what yer missin

average ping times of about 2ms, 15ms to nodes on another network.. e.g. Clondalkin to Lucan Via Saggart !

fantasic craic... using TeamSpeak www.TeamSpeak.org to chat (hail abuse) whilst gaming as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Any Macs on DublinWAN? I'm running OSX, and thinking quite seriously of this as a BB alternative...
    That is, if the setup costs aren't prohibitively high, and the monthly outlay is at the same level or lower than current DSL offerings.
    And if it's available in my area, of course. (off Stradbrook Road, Blackrock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

How do members of the Dublinwan share the cost of accessing the internet?
    Surely if one of them has a business version of DSL that he is sharing out he is not setting himself up as a charity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Sorry if I missed this info, but isn't line of sight purty important? If this is just a bunch of people with houses how do you manage any serious areal coverage?

Originally posted by Mailman
    How do members of the Dublinwan share the cost of accessing the internet?
    Surely if one of them has a business version of DSL that he is sharing out he is not setting himself up as a charity?

open a bank account in the name of a "club" then all members of the club pay a standing order into the account. very simple really.

Thats if you want it all above board etc... some just pay cash as they now the guy who stumps up the cash to the provider.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, some of the service providers, dont care what you do with the service, they install the box on wall or antenna on roof, you get your 512kbps or 1mbps service and after that is up to you...

Others service providers dont like this at all, and would probably stop providing the service, if they found out what you were doing.

I think were most of the providers will have a problem, is if someone actually RE-SELLS this as a product so-to-speak, trying to make a few quid.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Da Man
    Sorry if I missed this info, but isn't line of sight purty important? If this is just a bunch of people with houses how do you manage any serious areal coverage?

Line of sight is important in wireless networks, well the 802.11a/b/g variety anyway...

its not really as hard as you might think... I just fortunately live in an area that has a high vantage point, so from the roof of most houses in my area you can see my antenna.

You'd also be surprised just how much of you surrounding area you'll see from the chimeny on your house ;)

We also for example have a node and a mast half way up the mountains, in Saggart, from which you can pretty much see most of Dublin, so a good few links go through variours antennas on that mast.

Advertisement