Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Permits in Ireland

• 14-04-2003 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was wondering what it takes to get one, and if there are any qualifications needed in order to apply for one. Also, what are the jobs that one could have with one and what the steps to getting one are. I currently live in the US, but am possibly looking into moving to Ireland, but I would need a work permit to work. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Lol - how would we know? :D

I think it's like most countries - if you can prove you have a qualification you can get a permit. The easiest way to get one is to get an employer to sponser you. Tbh, I'd look on : http://www.usembassy.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

In fact, correct places to check are: www.entemp.ie and www.fas.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hi -

I know quite a few americans who work here.
    One does some office admin thing, and is sponsored by her company; her boss has to renew this yearly. She came over after graduation from NYU, and just survived on nothing til she found someone who was willing to sponsor her.

Another has just graduated from college, came here, and got some crappy waitressing job here - she's waiting on a student visa thingy, that allows you to work here for 4 months after you finish college in the US. I think she's getting it this week, so she'll try and find a better job, hopefully become indispensable, and they'll sponsor her when her visa is up.

Yet another did her undergrad in the US, then did a postgrad here. When she went in to see about her work permit/visa, the guy in the embassy was just in a good mood, and stamped her for another year!

So basically if you've just left college you're in a good position to get 4 months, and hopefully turn it into more once you're here.

Advertisement