Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon - Self Install - R U connected yet?

Options
  • 14-04-2003 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

I was hoping to use this thread to share experiences with those of you who have ordered the self-install option as your "stuff" should be arriving real damn soon now...

Just curious to see how it goes with both purchased modems and your own gear... Probably should be a sticky...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Yeah this should be interesting!.

Ordered mine about 11am Firday the 11th. Self-INstall using my own ethernet modem (Netgear DG842m)

Biddy said i'd get a call within 48 (working) hours, and be connected within 10 working days, also during those ten days a courier would deliver the self-install kit.

Lets wait and see. (reluctant to hold my breath) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Bloody hell, 48 hours (working hours, that is) is 6 days before I get a call... I thought'd it be today. Gawdammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

ye my 48hours are up today, i got my modem off belgacom for 40 yo-yos, and ye they said ill be connected within 10 working days, which is friday week, hopefully it wont be that long away.

If any1 gets connected let us know etc... coz i heard they are only connecting people who order modems for the time being.

oh ye, what you need the passwords for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

When i called to order, i was also told that the fact that my calls are not with eircom would add to the delay.

gerard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Regnak

Hi,

I ordered on Friday 11th also, 9am !!! Anyhow - was told I'd get a call with my password within 24 hours. No call as of lunchtime Wednesday (!). I wrote to Comreg giving out about having to buy an Eircom ADSL modem and got their reply yesterday which was great. However when I actually put in the order on Friday Shane told me I didn't have to buy their one at all. Hope it doesn't delay things. I'm getting a Wireless Vigor 2600We, should be fun ! No lead timeyet but no rush as Eircom will probably not get their act together until well into next week !
    A friend got theirs last month but instead of waiting for the €54.50 launch he bought the 1 meg business one with multiple Pc support ( up to 4 ), his 1st bill was > €1,000 !!
    So far no sign of anyone gettin' up and running, more's the pity. I'll let you all know if I see anything in my postbox soon.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

Well I got my 'password' off them yesterday.

Fat lot of good that will do me without the router. (Which is coming in the post apparently!?)
    I have everything from when I did the ADLS test about a year ago, but even though all I need is a piece of hardware, I still am stuck on a 56k modem.

Thank you €ircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

i also ordered on Friday 11th about 9:45am got my user name and password about 1hr later. they will be at my Exchange (dun-laoghaire) on the 1st may @9am (they told me so). to get me going. only time will tell.....

1st of May? damn, i knew not to expect urgent responce but thats just over 2 weeks away.

they said id get it within 10 WORKING days so ye hopefully it will be next week sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

i think it's 10 working days from when they phone you up and give you your username and password.

I started this thread hoping to be pleasantly surprised - But now, I think I'll just go down to the pharmacy to by some Prozac.

10 €ircon Days = 3 real weeks it seems. God, I hate it when they build you up, fleece you, then kick you in the head.

Hey, at least me 'ol 56K hasn't let me down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I ordered yesterday, and got my username & password today.

Ive heard more crap from other, un-named ISPs in the last few weeks than i cared for - but im very pleased with the way Eircom have handled my order. Wouldnt be surprised if my modem & stuff arrived tommorrow. 10 working days for connection aint a problem for me; ive been waiting 3 weeks for an acknowledgment of my very existance from another ISP :rolleyes:

Yeah, this makes sense. When I called them to ask when I'd be activated, they indicated that those who ordered their service with €ircon's __vastly_overpriced__ modems were being fleeced (aka serviced) first.

However, us cheap bastards who have our own equipment don't get fleeced till next week.

Logical? Spock would say Nooooo!

(Can I say bastards? it's in the websters dictionary!)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Yup this seems to be the case,
    I rang them yesterday (they were on hour 60 of their "within 48
    hours")

Biddy asked me if i was buying a modem off them, to which I said "hell no"
    She then says I'm still on the call list (ordered it 11am Friday)!!
    And I should* have it all delivered/switched on by next Wednesday.

*note this is an eircon word. please take it to mean "maybe/never/don't hold your breath" :-)

I went online to their chat gadget and was informed that I'll have the password details tomorrow (Good Friday) and that for those who ordered on last Friday, the kits (splitters etc.) are being posted today.

So, I put this through my €ircon universal translator, and this is how it reads...

"I went online to their piece online tat "designed to delay you in other ways than by voice" and was informed that I'll have the password details whenever as you're only a low life customerand that for those who ordered on last Friday, the hilariously expensive kits (splitters etc.) are being posted whenever.

Okay, now I'm pissed off....

€ircon rang me today (which surprised me!) to give me a password and user id. Great! Nearly there....

Except now I hear
    1. The kit will arrive within 5 working days (not incl. Bank hols)
    2. The exchange will be visited within 10 working days
    3. It's a dynamic IP address with the RADSL offering (boo!)

So having ordered on 11 April, it seems I know won't have the joy of DSL till May!

Great - nice job. Formal complaint letter to comreg over blatant misleading of "potential" customers. Sure EShat'll be ready by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I ordered self-install sans modem last Friday at 8pm (thats when they phoned me back - I had called them before lunch Friday but they were overwhelmed with customers).

Got my username & password this afternoon and was told I'd have my starter kit within 6 working days and be switched on within 10 working days from today.

Is Good Friday a working day in Eircom? (is any day a working day in eircom?) It's not in the semi-states I've no doubt things haven't changed too much since it was the P&T.

Oh dear, I've only been visiting this board for a few days and I'm jumping on the 'Eircom is Evil' bandwagon. I thought they were OK up to last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bendibus: Is Good Friday a working day in Eircom?

Did you not read the terms and conditions on the Eircon website?
    €ircon reserve the right to change, alter or withdraw the Gregorian calendar at any time that meets the needs of the company, and may at will, without prior consultation, create or adapt said calendar to include bank holidays and days of 'non-working'. Customer and statutory rights are waived.

Maybe the Eircon management team are suffering from guilt and have sent all of their staff to do the stations of the cross???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 candowilldo

I got my username and password on Friday 11th at 11:30am from them on the phone.
    Still no sign of the self install kit yet tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Same here. Got my password on Friday 11th. Was told that if I paid the "full install" that I would be installed in 48hours. Too expensive for me though. Celbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

got my pass etc this morning and was told id have the rest of the stuff and be activeated in 2 weeks, but god only knows how long it will actually be :)

• Advertisement

thats entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

shock... my line passed the pre-qualify for i-stream (online line checker). My line is 5.2 Km away from the exchange and its the first pass I've got in god knows how many attempts.

I failed the original test, I am the nearest house in Celbridge to the exchange, 50meters. crazy

ye i got my password aswell on the 11th. I will get the gick next week and i presume itll be activated by the following week. Its annoying but iv w8ed this long already, i dont mind w8ing a bit more coz its deffo comming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

So isn't anyone at all actually connected yet??

Eircom gave me a connection date 16th for full install, with option to downgrade to Starter package right away.....

I CANCELLED IT ... to go with Via's uncapped, interleaving off, 2-month contract offer.... way better imo.
    Kinda funny really.... because Eircom had just given me a completely new full line ... so that I could have ADSL! :eek:

I don't mind waiting 11 working days for Via .. I know I've made the right decision!:)

non technial person here

whats interleaving off?

I was kinda wondering that too.........help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    non technial person here

whats interleaving off?

Taken from dslreports.com.....

ADSL modems commonly employ data Interleaving, which is a technique to increase resistance to noise bursts on a line. Interleaving "smears" out micro bits of data (interleaves them over time) so that a short burst of signal destroying noise can only remove part of any given larger block. Data blocks reserve some space for error-correction data.. which can salvage a partially damaged block. Interleaving increases the chance that noise on the line will only cause partial damage, not complete loss. Thats the good news.

The down-side of Interleaving is that it increases latency! this is because your little (say) quake movement packet is smeared out over several packets before it can be fully sent or fully received.

ADSL modems with typical Interleaving defaults can be 10-30ms behind in latency over equivalent speed SDSL modems... this means latency to any point for some ADSL modems can be at best 50ms! On the same setup, the aforementioned SDSL modems that typically add only 10ms. So for use of a nearby server, ADSL Interleaving can be the biggest single source of latency that you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Do via offer dsl in Cork also or just Dub ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement