Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon - Self Install - R U connected yet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

For those of you who have just connected to new packages please take part in this ping/download information provider on the broadband forum Click Me

Thanks

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Just cancelled Eircom. They called me today to say that it wont be till next week when its ordered. And since there more expensive than esat, **** it. Only problem is i wont be able to use my pci modem which i bought for 25 quid from Amazon...Booo hoo. Anyway, im going for esat cos 66 with netsource is too much to be paying regardless of cap or not. 54 with eircom is ok but there ****ing me and everyone else so it seems around. and esat cos im with them now on no limits, they let me off getting kicked off a while back and there cheaper and an extra gb on the cap which ill know ill more than likely break but at least that extra gb is handier...

:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

I just called them AGAIN today to try and get a date out of them. Apparently, even though I ordered in the AM of the 11th, the order wasn't processed till 16th (lazy feckers) so that puts a 10 day go-live date at 1 May 2003.

If I'm not activated by tomorrow, I'll also be cancelling and would be happy with a wait of 10-11 for NetSource.

What has pissed me off with this lot is not the wait, it's the misinformation you get depending on when you call and who you speak to. Extremely irritating...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

:D

After ages of configuring my modem, i finally found a file that changed my modem setting from PPPoA to PPPoE, to suit eircom.

And str8 away i got connected :D im downloading at 60 KB per Second, sometimes spikin up higher but not lower than that.

If any1 ahs been told they have to wait for a phone call from sales to say u can connect thats a lie. My exchange was enabled and BOOM, works now. Problem i have no splitters coz the package aint arrived yet.

Sweet pings, 25 off Jolt, 45 ish Off Barrysworld.

Thx 2 every1 who helped me, especialy u santalives :D

Yelnahs, elucidate me...

If the exchange is enabled, then are you saying nothing else is needed? Nothing at all? I've been told that an engineer needs to go to the exchange (Dun Laoghaire) to activate my "specific" line. Any other info I need?

• Advertisement

ye sorry the engineer has to go to enable YOUR line, but for example what happened me was my modem picked up that ADSL had been enabled on my line, but i hadnt recieved the CD and Splitters etc.....

So i rang up and told them i had been enabled at exchange but had no pack, ur man asked me 'Had i got a phone call from sales yet?' i said no, then he said 'then u cant use the line if sales havent activated ur account from eircom'

I aint got a call yet from sales or the package but im typing this while connected to my 512 ADSL line :D pity if some1 picks up the phone i get dis connected, no splitters :D

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    ye sorry the engineer has to go to enable YOUR line, but for example what happened me was my modem picked up that ADSL had been enabled on my line, but i hadnt recieved the CD and Splitters etc.....

So i rang up and told them i had been enabled at exchange but had no pack, ur man asked me 'Had i got a phone call from sales yet?' i said no, then he said 'then u cant use the line if sales havent activated ur account from eircom'

I aint got a call yet from sales or the package but im typing this while connected to my 512 ADSL line :D pity if some1 picks up the phone i get dis connected, no splitters :D

Good man! I'll give it a lash when I get home - which exchange are you connected to?

I am on the bray exchange. My telephone line was connected during a game of champo 4, 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Damn thee Yelnahs ! lucky git!

Tried that with my DG824m, no luck.

Just wondering, do you need to put the @eircom.net at the end of your username?

Cheers
    S.

yep its ******@eircom.net is ur user name

make sure ur Modem is installed with pppoE settings, not PPPoA, thats what threw me 4 the last 2 days.

• Advertisement

Cool, I think i'm just using xxxxxxx for the username.

Just to confirm the rest of the stuff

service name: istream

Multiplexing is LLC Based
    VPI = 8 & VCI = 35

That the same as you?

Cheers

S.

yep 8/35 is bang on

service name remains BLANK

and Mulitplexing is LLC based

Kewl, Cheers Yelnahs

IF this works i'll be very happy! :-)

(Was planning on calling eircom when i get home and opening a can o whup ass)
    *however if it doesn't work i'll be reaching for that can-opener*

S.

what the hell is multiplexing?

FFS!!
    Just got off the phone with Biddy.

She just informed me that even thought I ordered Istream on the 11th of April (am)
    The order (because they are backlogged, she told me there was about 200 orders before mine!!) was not processed untill the 22nd!! and I have to wait a further 2 to 3 weeks.

Actually she first said 2 weeks, but when I was giving her a roastin and confirming that it WOULD be 2 weeks, she says "better make that 3 weeks just to be on the safe side Sir"

When I told her that when I was ordering on the 11th the person on the phone said 10 working days, her reply was "we just didn't know we would get this swamped with orders. We didn't know there would be delays"

So that would be mid May then. Cheers Eircom

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

when why not cancel your oreder and go with EsatBT or Netsource, both offer better deals depending on weather you want a capped service or not, your going to end up waiting anyway so why not wait for a better service

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

I got my modem and filters etc from eircom on Monday morning (I ordered on the 11th). Set up the modem (USB) and the green ADSL light on the modem is on and there is a green circle with DSL written on it in the corner of the windows taskbar which indicates that the modem has sync'd up with the DSLAM in my exchange (which is Dundrum, D14). I have my username and password, so does this mean I should be able to log in, like Yelnahs did ?

If so, then there's something wrong as I am getting the following messsage when I try to connect : Error 678: The remote computer did not respond.

Anyone have any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

yep that sounds good, OR you can try what i did and just say thats just wont do eircon!! then let rip at em for about 10mins...i got my modem today and i wos happy till they rang me later on and told me the same sh1t they told you,, i cant say here what i told them but i will have broad-band on thursday @9am.... unless i was told b/s that is!!! .

ye man i got a few ideas.

By any chance is ur modem the Alcatel USB one? if so ur in luck

If not, just check if the connection type is PPPoE, if its PPPoA u have to change it.

I had the 'cannot connect to remote computer' message aswell, then i got software that changed the connection type ot PPPoE and now it works super :D

Write back if nothing i said helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

sorry looks like your line is not (on) yet.. i get same thing.

• Advertisement

It's the eircom ZyXEL 630 modem. I'll try downloading the latest drivers for it beccause I'm using windows XP and see if that works. It may be that the line is just not activated yet

Wheeler_1028

if there is a solid green light on ur ADSL light on ur modem, that means its in sync. Hover ur mouse over the green circle on the bottom of ur screen, see if it says if its in sync or not. If so u shud be able to connect using XP's built in PPPoE dial in service, just make a new connection and click connect to the internet, then click on connect to ADSL via User name and password. that shud work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

I hope that they do switch your line on tomorrow, but don't hold your breath, they told me the same thing twice, once on Monday and then on Tuesday and when I let rip on the manager he told me that it would be enabled on the 11th or 12th of May,
    But as I say I hope they do enable you tomorrow as it would be nice to know that you made them jump.

Cheers
    Will

2 Quick questions, how did u guys get ur starter packs? In the post or by delivery or what?

Also, since no1 has rang me to tell me that my account has been activated, do u reckon what im downloading now will count at the end of month cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Toysrus

Same story as above. No starter pack or phone call received. Had ordered it on the first day but was told that it wouldn't be processed until a week later because I wasn't buying their modem. So wasn't really expecting it for a while yet. Anyway, plugged a phone line straight (no splitter) into my router (D Link dsl504) this evening and nothing happened. Pottered around the gaff for a while and when I came back had a dsl link light. It works great. Just been enjoying movie trailers on yahoo.com (there goes the cap).

BTW My Eircom username DOES NOT have an @eircom.ie extension, for what it's worth. Also worth noting is that I'm connected to Summerhill exchange.

Got my starter pack via an An Post/SDS van calling to my door at 8:30 am (yes 8:30 am !).

I've got the green ADSL light on my modem and like I said the green circle in the taskbar indicates a connection to the DSLAM in the exchange. When I hover the mouse over it, it says 'Bytes 1368 (TX) 0 (RX) @ 512 kbps'. When I try to connect, it still says 'Error 678. No respone from the remote computer'. So I presume that the line needs further action to be taken by eircom before I'll be able to log in.

Wheeler_1028.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NITEMAN

I called Eircom and got the same BS about waiting another while.
    I said fine i'll wait with netsource instead.
    Cancelled the order and faxed off the forms to Netsource.
    Now, a bit more expensive and NO CAP.
    + I got to tell Eircom to FU*K OFF.
    Feels great, even though no DSL yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Toysrus
    Had ordered it on the first day but was told that it wouldn't be processed until a week later because I wasn't buying their modem

does anyone else find that a bit iffy ? Surely there's less involved when no modem is ordered. Their acting like children ...

yep that sounds good, OR you can try what i did and just say thats just wont do eircon!! then let rip at em for about 10mins...i got my modem today and i wos happy till they rang me later on and told me the same sh1t they told you,, i cant say here what i told them but i will have broad-band on thursday @9am.... unless i was told b/s that is!!! .

dump them. if you let them **** you around, they will do just that. if you dont have it on thursday, dump them. **** the 12 month contract. The stupid ****en clowns sent me the splitters pack today and a usb modem...i never even ordered one. i dont care! let them send me what they want...im gonna use but im not gonna pay for it. i cancelled it yesterday...oh well as of now ive a free modem...yay for me and some splitters. they really are a joke...

:ninja:

• Advertisement

Yel said:
    Also, since no1 has rang me to tell me that my account has been activated, do u reckon what im downloading now will count at the end of month cap?

I doubted...they seem really stupid to know anything

Advertisement