Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon - Self Install - R U connected yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

ok 50Cent, what about this? page1, 8th post down.

"ZZZZooooommmm
    i also ordered on Friday 11th about 9:45am got my user name and password about 1hr later. they will be at my Exchange (dun-laoghaire) on the 1st may @9am (they told me so). to get me going. only time will tell....."

16-04-2003 20:12

and they did. oooohhhhyyyeeeaaaaa.............

:D

like the (gombin) says "I happen to have a few contacts in the Broadband Provisioning section in Eircom." i can give you names if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

gombín offered...
    I happen to have a few contacts in the Broadband Provisioning section in Eircom. Post your account nos. (no phone nos.!!!) and I'll see can I get you swithced on early.

Gombín, welcome to the boards...perhaps you might make something clear...all of your posts so far relate what might be called insider information...

would you like to clarify your relationship with eircom or prefer to help out 'unofficially'...?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Not the old biddies, as they are so endearingly called. The people I'm referring to are in the PROVISIONING section. They're the ones who do the jumpering work in the exchange.

Do they use this....

> Alcatel 5620 AxiOSS DSL Service Module (DSL SM),
    With OSS automation, using the Alcatel 5620 NM, provisioning
    is 100 percent accurate on the first pass, and only 38 seconds
    are needed to establish an end-to-end service. The Alcatel
    solution enables 35,000 DSL subscribers to be provisioned in
    less than one week and 20 end-to-end paths to be configured
    per minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I happen to have a few contacts in the Broadband Provisioning section in Eircom. Post your account nos. (no phone nos.!!!) and I'll see can I get you swithced on early.

Come on, who would be stupid enough to fall for that?

Godstoy, I believe you. I just find it so hard to believe since the majority of people on this forum are so pissed off with eircom that there are a few who seem to have good service due to all the negative criticism towards Eircom as a company, not their staff. Its as if some people get to deal with two different companies under the same name, one that does the job, and the other thats run by clowns. I cancelled because they kept delaying.

Come on, who would be stupid enough to fall for that?

ando, apparently...

50Cent, well for me it was, that is i got radsl using a big name that eircom has a lot to do with and thats what i ment when i said i had a "chat" with em. also contacts in the Broadband section in Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

that is i got radsl using a big name that eircom has a lot to do with and thats what i ment when i said i had a "chat" with em. also contacts in the Broadband section in Eircom.

what the hell are you talking about? what "big name"?

nyeh...forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jakdub

Hi, This is my first ever post. I signed up for i-stream and kept an eye on the posts here. I was thinking you lot were a bunch of anti-eircom whingers. I signed up on the 11th and got my username and pass about an hour later. Then my self-starter kit arrived bang on 10 working days after I ordered. What a professional service I thought.
    Sadly it's been all downhill since then. I have two lines in the gaff and I realised (by chance before installing) that the wrong line had been upgraded. I had NEVER asked for the other line to be even tested. I got onto them and they wanted me to pack the kit back up, send it back and start the process all over again. I refused and told them to upgrade the correct line and I'd keep the kit. I've spoken to no less than SEVEN different biddies. Some have tried to get me to keep things they way they are, some have promised to call back and didn't and some have told me they will change it but it will take some time.
    Meanwhile, I've tried hooking up to the upgraded line with my laptop. just to get a quick broadband fix to keep me going, and it's letting me connect but won't recognise the username and password. Bastards.
    I'd switch to Esat only I'm afraid that will involve even more hassle. I could end up with two eircom accounts AND an Esat one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by jakdub
    I was thinking you lot were a bunch of anti-eircom whingers

LOL, yea that happens quite a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by jakdub
    Hi, This is my first ever post. I signed up for i-stream and kept an eye on the posts here. I was thinking you lot were a bunch of anti-eircom whingers.
    No, we all like Eircom here. It is you that is the whinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

have you signed anything?

ring them up, tell them you're going to cancel everything and go with esat if they don't get their act together immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jakdub

Well, a little whinging now and then is good for the soul. I COULD cancel and I guess that would be the sensible thing to do. But I do think that the more hassle I create for them the more likely they are to mess things up even more. We have an unlimited i-stream account in work. I wonder if I got the user and pass for that could I use the incorrectly upgraded line until they sorted things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Insider information it may be. I do work in the industry, but not for eircom. Only trying to give a helping hand lads; no skin off my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Such hostility to eircom,maybe a little balance is needed, heres a positive i-stream story.

Moved flat a couple of weeks ago,the new place didnt have any phoneline.

So called 1901 asked to cancel my i-stream account as i was moving, and could i book up a new line install at the new place.

Sure no problem sir...

So when is my new line going to be installed i asked...

Your local engineer will call to set a date sir (on the mobile).

Sure enough a couple of hours later i get the call, would i like it installed two days from now...

I blinked in suprise.....surely this isnt the big nasty eircom? ...Said no will need to book a day of work so can you do it in a weeks time?

No problem.

1 week later ....engineer calls out withing the alloted time frame (9-12 ....@ 10:30 ).
    Nice guy, very polite and proffessional, he installes the line. I ask will it be adsl compatable, he says yes, no problems.

Now i'm in a quandry......

Used i-stream at the oldplace, never ever had down time, download speeds were always 50k +

So would i use eircom again, you bet i would!

Sad fact is their current offerings are capped and i cannot afford to get the new i-stream (effectively uncapped...at least was during the time of my usage , regularily downloaded over 20gb a month).

To cap it all off, i got my final bill in the post on friday. Was expecting to be charged for the calls from the lastbill just paid aweek or two ago.

But no...they refunded me the balance of the i-stream which is paid for two months in advance.

In summary, while many ppl have bad experiences with eircom undoubtably and are of course naturally inclined to talk about them, its rare for a happy customer to post about it..but there are happy customers.

At the end of the day though, i'll still be going with netsource , for the simple reason of the cap , and a little because of the price.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I do work in the industry, but not for eircom

Thanks Gombín, I hope I wasn't being rude...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well m8y if you want to know why i thing eircom are a bunch of basturds its simple

1.their 200 euro more than esat for the net 56k
    2.im one of the lucky "few" with a line and exchange able to get bb and their the arsewipes holding it back in the first place
    3.their sales and customer services suck ass
    4.they keep sending wave after wave of junk mail about their (and heres the kicker) cheap prices
    5.10 euro more expensive that esat for bb with basicly the same fecting service (what sence does that make?) and with interleaveing on (i dont care if its turned down its still on)

and id hate to break it to you but if it wasnt for esat/utv/netsources not one thing would have changed

thats the simple facts and thats why their a shower of basturds

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

bah, i got a CD in the post today thinking it was my installation CD, but no, it was a CD showing me the Broadband "experience"
    so anoying, im connected but i stil dont have any splitters, and i dont want to buy them seperatly since i already paid money for some thru Eircom.

Plus i got my first bill today, i was wondering, i got charged the 99 euro for installation which is fine. But i also got charged 81.81 for service activity/usage, and then after that i got charged 7.50 for for the partial month rental. Any ideas whats the 81.81 charge for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    But i also got charged 81.81 for service activity/usage, and then after that i got charged 7.50 for for the partial month rental. Any ideas whats the 81.81 charge for?

€81.81+VAT = €99 so It sounds like they billed you for installation twice as I can't see there being any other €99 charge that fits.

carb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Ive checked http://broadbanddownload.eircom.net and cant figure out why it says ive downloaded nothing:

Total Downloads to date this month: 0
    Download Allowance: 4000 MB
    Percent of Allowance used to Date: 0%
    Estimated total Downloads this month: 0

Ive downloaded over 1GB this week. I dont know if i should be worried or not :confused:
    I'm just paranoid over this. Why can i use the service but what im downloading isnt counting? :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I get

Error: No usage stats for user *******@eircom.net

Maybe it's because I haven't been 'officially' activated yet. No splitter & CD in the post and no phonecall. Although I've been using the service since last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

i rang the billing service up today and they said the 90 euro is the next 2 months connection bill, they charge u in advance of the 2 months comming, its 90 euro because its minus VAT, i havent even recieved the splitters/cd yet and they have the nerve to charge me for the next 2 months, even though i applied for it on the 11th of April, bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Originally posted by BendiBus
    I get

Error: No usage stats for user *******@eircom.net

Maybe it's because I haven't been 'officially' activated yet. No splitter & CD in the post and no phonecall. Although I've been using the service since last Thursday.

My modem light went green today, but using the following....
    eircom i-stream ADSL Settings

Useful Settings For Connecting to eircom i-stream

Encapuslation is PPPoE
    Multiplexing is LLC Based
    VPI = 8 & VCI = 35

Eircom DNS Settings

Primary DNS : 159.134.237.6
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.248.17

I don't appear to be having much luck connecting - using a NetGear DG824M - what about yerself? This is probably a BB thread at this stage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Well, after a long 12 hour shift staring at computer screens. I came home to see my little DSL light on my Netgear DG824m lit!!!!

Slapped on the PC and bang! connected at 512k first time!!

I'm in Clontarf, exchange is across from the entrance to Clontarf Castle.

Stats are:

Eircom I-Stream Self Install - 512/128

Download - 55-60kbps
    Bandwith Place Speedtest - 401.3 kilobits per sec

Pings:

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=251
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=251
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=251
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=251

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 36ms

Pinging www.gamespy.com [207.38.1.105] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.38.1.105: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=53
    Reply from 207.38.1.105: bytes=32 time=187ms TTL=53
    Reply from 207.38.1.105: bytes=32 time=185ms TTL=53
    Reply from 207.38.1.105: bytes=32 time=196ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 207.38.1.105:
    Minimum = 185ms, Maximum = 196ms, Average = 189ms

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=55
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 26ms

Am now about to spend another 12 hour shift beatin the hell out of my cap!

Cheers
    S.

Shurl, what settings have you got configured for the DG824? Are you using the splitter? Did you get the kit?

Purleeeese let me know!

Sorry,

I've got mine configured the exact same as yours it looks.
    username is without the @eircom.net

The rest I didn't need to touch.
    (although I did have to click on the Connect button (Show WAN Status page) to get it to Sync properly the first time )

No kit yet, I'm using the UK splitter that came with my DG824m.
    (had to modify it a bit since it was uk)

S.

Hmmm, I'll check everything out again. I'm not using a splitter, but the the only thing on the line would have been the netgear. Green light is on, but the WAN status is not showing an IP.

I'm assuming you don't have to physically set the DNS as the DHCP should load the lot.

What mods did you have to make to the UK filter - might give it a try if I can find my blasted tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MisterEd

I too thought you gave gave Eircom a bit of a raw deal.
    until......
    I ordered I-stream starter on 11 Apr.
    Got my password a couple of hours later.
    10 working days passed so i phoned them to see what was happening.
    She told me they had no order from me.
    I told her they already gave me a username and password and she said there was no record of it.
    Then she asked if i wanted to order it then.
    so i said **** off.
    then i ordered it from Netsource.
    Guess what happened today.
    Eircom called me to ask me how i liked the dsl service.
    i went nuts.
    it seems they connected me the other day.
    So i told them to **** off again and called netsource to let them know. it seems my installation is now 26th May.
    And all because off Eircom.
    They've really shown their colours now

• Advertisement

Hey DSLinAbsentia,

Yeah when I turned on the PC first and went the the Netgears page, It showed that I had no IP, but when I clicked the Connect button on the Show Wan Status pop-up window, it got one.

Did you try hitting the connect button again?

Re: The UK filter.
    It seems the UK use the two OUTER wires on the RJ11 (line in {pre Filtered} side of the filter) instead of our two inner wires.

So i just got one of those "double adapters" and switched the pins in the plug.

Had to do the same for the UK socket on the "out" end of the filter. Using an RJ11 to UK plug adaptor.

Hope that helps

Gis a shout if you need more info.

S.

Advertisement