Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24/7 128k connection in Calcutta going cheap!

Options
  • 15-04-2003 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

From Slashdot:
    The goverment controlled telephone company in the city of Kolkata (Calcutta), India is providing a Internet access service called DIAS (Direct Internet Access System) which provides 24 hour connection at 128kbps (when the phone is being used, it drops to 64). However, the best part is that the cost of Plan I (which has a data transfer limit of 500 megs) is only Rs 825 ($ 16.50) per month, all inclusive.

Words fail me!
    :eek:

See the official site here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Oh Calcutta kicks our asses in many areas....

Remember that business benchmark thing a while ago?

In a test to measure how long it took to transport goods across a major city during rush hour, it beat Dublin... surprising.. well no

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

heh, i can see the headlines:

"Black Hole beats Green Isle on Broadband"

the state of our telecoms infrastructure becomes all the more amusing when we hear that companies like Google will be based here....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Duffman
    the state of our telecoms infrastructure becomes all the more amusing when we hear that companies like Google will be based here....

It would make you wonder whether Google actually did any investigation into the pros and cons of moving into Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

they did, it seems we have a lot of cheap data farms from when all the other big companies pulled out, and thats all google wants, a nice big chap data farm and seeing as how we are unlikly to attrach any other big business with the cost of living, cost manufacturing, cost of labour, etc so they won't have any competition for a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

and thats all google wants, a nice big chap data farm

Well they certainly are going to need them more than ever in Ireland with the new Internet traffic statistics on each and every Irish user they will be legally obliged to store for years and years, to hand over to the 5 O's on demand.

Originally posted by Dangger
    Well they certainly are going to need them more than ever in Ireland with the new Internet traffic statistics on each and every Irish user they will be legally obliged to store for years and years, to hand over to the 5 O's on demand.

Gotta love Mr. McDowell..... Hrm... I wonder if he eats babies..?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

by the dozen my friend, by the dozen

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

OH ...GAWD ,would ye not just all STFU .it's heading in the right direction like every other country in history.

me.......I'm going with VIA

Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

boys what are you getting worked up about

its isdn with a 500 meg cap for 17 euro

big deal we will soon have flat rate for 15 euro
    broadband for 45 euro (less in time the writeings on the wall)

and seeming most indians cant afford a bus trip never mind 17 euro or a pc then it isnt that great.........its aimed at the muilt nationals that are based for the cheap labor:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

won't someone please think of the babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

How the cost in the black hole of {Calcutta } where the cost of life itself is regarded as cheap, can be compared too Irelands more developed infrastructure, social housing, wages/salaries differential is beyond me?..

You know,*bizmarks reply above makes pretty much the "same points", so I have to agree wholeheartedly with him.

Only when Irish citizens realise that we are now part of one of the most prosperous union of states {The EU } with a currency that is even worrying the Americans & the British. Will we feel we have the civil rights and power to demand and influence the Internet service providers cost base and public services charging policies.

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

aye paddy ..........its compleat bull

and the eu rules
    euro is the biggest currency since roman times "with the new states the eu will have nearly 600 million 3th biggest in the world":D

yey for the eu !

the stander of liveing here is so fair and away ahead of india its not worth compearing now stop acting like you have it hard:rolleyes:

Advertisement