Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man Utd

• 15-04-2003 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

I am amazed no one else saw fit to start this thread off. So who do you think is going to win the match of the season. Me, I think Arsenal are a bit off colour at the minute. They just are nto the side they were six months ago. Also I THINK Pires is out and if he is that is a massive blow. United, despite the whupping they took off Real have been in smashing form, and turned in there best performance in a couple of seasons against a side who were championship contenders at the kick off. I am thinking United are going to beat Arsenal, and if they only do it by one, then the goal difference is cancelled out. So United for the match, and the league is my optimistic prediction.

Who will win the big game ? 30 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Man United
    36% 11 votes
    Draw
    63% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

United are on a roll. Arsenal's most influential player is out (Vierra). United look hungry. Keane looked more like his old self Vs Newcastle, and he's going to be fit !

Gwan UTD ;):):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Lads I think ye are underestimating Arsenal somewhat. I know they havn't been on form lately but I reckon you can't call this one. This is arguably the most important match of the season for both sides.

Utd have have been on a storming run in the premiership but the only real competition was Newcastle. You would expect a team of Utd's standard to beat the sides they did.

On the other hand Arsenal are the opposite. They have been really shaky lately and you don't know what to expect from them but this might be the match to turn everything around. Remember this match will probably decide the season unless Blackburn can cause an upset at Old Trafford and even that mightn't be enough if Utd get the 3 points at Arsenal.

Viera and Keane will start if skysports.com is to be believed. That could be a key battle and on form you would have to say that Viera is up to the task of keeping Keane back.

I'll go for a draw because it's two hard to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Jeez talk about selective memory!

Its only weeks since Arsenal thumped united on there home ground.
    Arsenal have lost only 1 domestic game this season at home.
    Viera is doubtful, not out as previously stated. (As of this morning skysports)
    BTW wasnt Viera also injured for the last Utd-Arsenal match?

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Personally I'm not making a call on this one. Not til Space Coyote has had a say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

it too close to call, united look great but the gooners always fire themselves up (as do united) for these games.

even if viera isnt playing they will have a go. it nearly like a derby game - form goes out the window.

it will probably be a brilliant bit of skill from somebody that wins it. hopefully barthez will don his clown outfit and dance around and do silly things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Barthez has a broken toe and is unlikely to play. Xterminator I do not have a selective memory at all. I am aware of the fact that Arsenal played united off the pitch but that was almost two months ago now. Arsenals form has slided to the extent that United have made up the 8 point difference, and virtually made up what seemed an unassailable goal difference since then. They have also exited the champions league. I do not think it is me witht the selective memory here. also if Pires and Vierra are out, that is two very important players missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 claudius

it's too close to call, but united look to have the slight advantage, mentally, despite their poor performance against real last week.
    it all depends on who rules in midfield. vieira will play, even if he is only considered 50-50. if he can play at his sublime best, than you never know. but shcoles is in ****-hot form, united's best player this season by far. united seem to have the momentum of late while arsenal have been stuttering. prediction: 2-1 to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

much as it depresses me to say it I think United are hungrier for it than Arsenal

2-1 to the swamp dwellers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

6-0 to united. Only joking. Toughest and closest match of the season. Very hard to call. As man u fan I'll have to say 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭MAC_E

I think ill go for a 1-1 draw.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

On current form ( apart from blip in Europe) has to be ManU ..

I'll go for 4-2 ( which means it'll defo be some other score :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Originally posted by Gaffo
    Personally I'm not making a call on this one. Not til Space Coyote has had a say!!
    LOL Gaffo, I think my super powers have left me, i said it would be 2-2 in the Newcastle V Man Utd game !!! although not even Nostradamus could have predicted that one.
    Anyhoo, I'm going for a 1-1 draw...too close to call, could go either way...blah blah...If PV and RP play then the Gunners could nick it, hopefully ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think Man Utd will win so ill go for Arsenal, as im always wrong.

Unless my subconcious thinks Arsenal will win making my conscious think Utd will win, unless...

Too hard to call, could go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

For the first time in a couple of years United look hungry again and ten goals against Newcastle and Liverpool show how well they are playing.

Of course Arsenal will be up for it even if they havent been playing well recently but they have stuttered the past couple of weeks and United will desperately want to get some payback for what happened at OT last season.

2-0 to United.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Well from what I have heard from Highbury - and I do mean directly - both PV4 and RP7 will play - unless they suffer a reoccurance before tomorrow night.

Keane will also play but Bartez (sp?) is out with a broken toe - although knowing him he will still line out.

Personally I think Arsenal suffer from bad team syndrome - they struggle against so-called 'lesser' teams. They have rarely been push-overs in any match and seem to raise their game for the important ones. It really depends on their attitute on the day.

I also beleive that the first 20 minutes will determine the outcome of the game - history haas shown us that the first quarter is generally full of incidents and if Keane or Veira get a knock then they mightn't finish the game.

The key players are Pires, Veira and Henry for Arsenal - if each play to their potential then I can't see past Arsenal to collect all three points.

For Utd it's all about the centre of the park. If they can keep Arsenal from pushing up - especially the full backs then they have a good chance of playing most of the game in the Arsenal half.

Both teams are excellent at the counter attack so it may be a cautious game.

Prediction - Arsenal 2 Utd 0

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hope man u can win it but i predict 2-1 arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Happy to declare I don't give a f*@k who wins this one as it wont make a blind bit of difference to Liverpool... ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

BTW wasnt Viera also injured for the last Utd-Arsenal match?

He played in the match @ OT & Philip Neville of all people kept him out of the game!!

Being a devil, I'd hope it's 2-0 to United , but more likely 1-1

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have to go for United. If I didn't I wouldn't be much of a fan would I?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

God knows, I have given up predicting cause ever time I do I get it a mile wrong!! so I will say Arsenal 5-0!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Think I'll get myself to the bookies and place €20 on Arsenal to win 2-0 so when the score is actually 0-2 to united I'll be as happy as a pig in.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i read that 3 times.
    i don't get it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

fisty, fisty, fisty :p

Legion must be a United fan who thinks that if he puts 20 yoyos on arse to win he wins money, but if United win then he wins as he is a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

I think that Arsenal will win the game tonight, but that Man Utd will go on to win the title.

A friend of mine reckons that's a 'ridiculous' point of view, but it seems logical to me as United are beating the lesser teams left, right and centre at the moment while Arsenal aren't, but Arsenal are clearly the better team when it comes to head-to-heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

>>I am amazed no one else saw fit to start this thread off.

Well, being Irish and having an Irish passport, I don't care about British culture and industry. But if that's what you into they go ahead. Feel free to start a thread on the Henley Regatta as well. It's important for people who are proud of their culture to celebrate.

No doubt all the people in Dublin pubs tonights screaming 'we' and 'us' at giant screens will be also hoisting the Union Jack on the Queen's birthday as well.

Bohs till' I die (because amazingly enough, I was born and raised in Dublin)

Sligoliner you truly are a twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I feel so opressed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sligoliner

Do you just have Irish TV stations?

How about any non-Irish music CD's ?

Nobody care, understand ? Nobody cares !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kaos

Its a close one to call,could go either way.Man Utd have been in devastating form recently(we can forgive being beaten by Real) and even though Arsenal didn't look spectacular against Sheff Utd they can produce the goods when it matters.Remember Arsenal weren't at full strength against Sheff Utd got a good result and thats all that counts.Man Utd on the other hand have to field an all class team to get a good result.
    I reckon a draw is the fair result but a match changing decision could force a winner.

• Advertisement

Everywhere and everyone in Dublin today is talking about the match tonight between Manure and Arsenal in Dublin. It's almost as if you have to publically validate your Irish citenzenship by willingly being brought into this battle by picking 'your' side while screming 'us' and 'we' at a giant TV screen in a pub to delude yourselves into some fantasy childhood spent on Merseyside or Salford. This is not normal in the context of world soccer. No other place on this planet do people support, celebrate and develop bizzare emotional attachments to foreign clubs. It has nothing to do with football and everything to do with cult of celebrity and TV hype. Don't get me wrong I am no Chucky provo-lovin nationalist and I have nothing aginst the English (well other than Jamie Oliver) but I do accept that I was born in this city in this country and I have an Irish club to support. I am doing what 99.99% of soccer supporters worldwide do, except for the gullible Micks.

Honestly, I have no more interest in this match than I do the Henly Regatta, The Old Firm game or Cruffs or any other British competitive cultural institution and yet today in my own nation and my own city, I feel like a freak because I follow a club that plays it matches a few hundred yards from where I was born instead of on TV.

WHY...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

sligoliner,

It must be great up on that high moral ground, watching tg4, listening to the corrs and wearing your bohs scarve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've met Aussies who support Leeds, people from Lichtenstein who support Bayern, Barcalona fans from Andorra and Norweigans who support Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

So you are saying that there is somthing wrong with admiring beautiful Football?

Sligoliner you truly are a twat.

Agreed.

This is another point that I'm putting into my "what fúcks you off about boards.ie" Sligoliner you support Boh's. Good for you. Many who post on the soccer board support Man Utd Arsenal or Liverpool and more. No one is slagging you off for supporting your team so keep your opinion's to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by daveg
    "provo-lovin nationalist"

Going a bit far dave !

Anyway, think Arsenal will win it by 2.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with people in Ireland enjoying and watching English or any other football. What's ****ed up is that most Irish people think that the Premiership is our national league which is wacked no matter what way you look at it.

The moment of epiphany for me was in Dalymount last month and seeing all these Irish people in Spurs jerseys looking at the Bohs supporters like they were worthless clueless, animals because they were supporting an club in Dublin over one from London. Do you think that is normal behaviour?

Do you think that Spurs supporters from Ireland screaming at a club from London to destroy a club from their own country as some expression of their Irishness makes any sense? That somehow and Irish person is supposed to be self-loating and so gullible?

I’ll never forget when Spurs finally scored against Bohs (they still got hammered) how a gang of England Spurs Yobs came in front of the Bohs supporters waving Union Jacks and singing “Rule Britannia” and calling them ‘fackin thick paddies” how the Irish Spurs supporters actually joined in with these **** in slaggin off their own country men. Is this normal behaviour in world soccer? Does it go on anywhere else on the planet? The answer is no – it only happens on this self-loathing wee island where an unsophisticated population are easily carried away with TV hype to realise how silly they look to the rest of the world.

After the Bohs Spurs match there were still Irish gob****es going on the Spurs message boards sobbing ‘us’ and ‘we’ about losing to Bohs at one point some Spurs fans were posting back that you lads should really be supporting Bohs and not some foreign team. The English were just as bewildered by this as I am. They are right because it is surreal in every sense.

The fact is, that sadly, you stick a shiny electronic box full of colour lights than makes emits English accets though the speakers in front of some paddy and he turns into Fr Dougal. A complete halfwit and no more of a real passionate football supporter than the women who cry with tears in their eyes watching Oprah are sincerely emphatic.

Tonight the Irish will just embarrass themselves once again, that’s it. Screaming at pub TV screens for ‘their’ team while the club down the road is begging for support.

But hey, everybody in Ireland knows that an Irishman is not fully developed as a worthy human being unless he is wearing an British football jersey. The amazing thing is the next time Ireland plays England you’ll all be screming for the same people you are adoring tonight to be kicked to the ground by some bloke in a green jersey.

Eh lads????

Going a bit far dave !

Just quoting himself. Fvck it at the end of the day who cares what he thinks. I support Man Utd because my dad did. I've supported them since I was 4 years old. Since the time me and my mates would put our jumpers down on the road to make goalposts and we'd shout I'm Man Utd, I'm Liverpool (not me !!) ect ect. I think this is the usual route. I don't watch Irish soccer because (in my opinion) it's crap. Plain and simple. I love the premiership. Not because it's English but because it's great football - the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>keep your "provo-lovin nationalist" opionions to yourself

Thats a pretty stupid comment in fairness. Not surprising coming from an Orange twat though. Maybe he's a sticky.

Sligoliner, if you are from Sligo, bugger off and support them. Or maybe you tried, but found that they were English managed, and had too many English players for your liking. You spoon. Dalymount is a place relatively free of the kind of anti-English bollocks that you seem to peddle. See you in the Flansiro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

Originally posted by sligoliner
    I have no problem with people in Ireland enjoying and watching English or any other football. What's ****ed up is that most Irish people think that the Premiership is our national league which is wacked no matter what way you look at it.
    Well unfortunately for historical reasons the League of Ireland is essentially an amateur affair, and obviously it's great if you support a team therein but I think people can be forgiven for searching for a team elsewhere who will deliver a better class of football. It happens within England as well that people support ManUtd even though they're from Cornwall or whatever.

At the end of the day, the entire Irish national squad plays its football in Britain and probably if the Dohs were to be offered a place in the premiership or even any of the other football league divisions they would accept it with open arms.

I have edited my statement. I was simply using sligoliner's quote.
    Don't get me wrong I am no Chucky provo-lovin nationalist and I have nothing aginst the English (well other than Jamie Oliver) but I do accept that I was born in this city in this country and I have an Irish club to support. I am doing what 99.99% of soccer supporters worldwide do, except for the gullible Micks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Everywhere and everyone in Dublin today is talking about the match tonight between Manure and Arsenal in Dublin. It's almost as if you have to publically validate your Irish citenzenship by willingly being brought into this battle by picking 'your' side while screming 'us' and 'we' at a giant TV screen in a pub to delude yourselves into some fantasy childhood spent on Merseyside or Salford.

You really really should get out more. I mean WTF are you talking about when you say that you have to "publically validate your Irish citizenship". Nobody here has asked you for your opinion onj the game tonight AFAIK. And you come on here spouting about beind Irish and Bohs yada yada yada. What a load of crap!!
    This is not normal in the context of world soccer. No other place on this planet do people support, celebrate and develop bizzare emotional attachments to foreign clubs. It has nothing to do with football and everything to do with cult of celebrity and TV hype.
    Again total crap. I presume by your dontsupportukclubsophobic protestations that you have never been out of this country. Well I have had the pleasure of some travel and what you state above is pure and total crap. Anyplace you go to in the far east the locals are mad about English Soccer. In fact I believe more ppl outside of Ireland and the Uk support Manu than do inside the UK and Ireland. So again get your facts straight and stop talking shiite.
    Don't get me wrong I am no Chucky provo-lovin nationalist and I have nothing aginst the English (well other than Jamie Oliver) but I do accept that I was born in this city in this country and I have an Irish club to support. I am doing what 99.99% of soccer supporters worldwide do, except for the gullible Micks.
    99% eh? Pull the other one
    Honestly, I have no more interest in this match than I do the Henly Regatta, The Old Firm game or Cruffs or any other British competitive cultural institution and yet today in my own nation and my own city, I feel like a freak because I follow a club that plays it matches a few hundred yards from where I was born instead of on TV.
    If you have no interest why did you click on this thread then? On second thoughts I do now feel sorry for you being so oppresed in your own city. So I tell you what. You head off to Phibsoro and support the knackers/gypsies or whatever they are called and you and the other 3 supporters can tell each other how bad ye feel and how the whole world is against ye. You now have my full support.

Now prediction for 2nite 2 - 2.

Sligo you tried peddling these ridiculous ideas in another thread about a month ago. You obviously never went back and read that thread as some people took the time to explain why they support these clubs. As in my case, I support United because of the players there when I was grpwing up, Paul Mc Grath, Frank Stapleton, Kevin Moran, all irish players. That is the reason I began to support the club, and the tradition has been maintianed with Roy Keane and John O Shea more recently.

As regards teh Gobs*ites who were slagging off the paddies at the spurs match, you can rest assured that gobsh*tes are not exclusive to this country, all countries have them. And just because we follow the football league ina different country, because Irish player tend to play there and because the quality is much better then anything on our own doorstep, does not make us a country of self loathers. In fact quite the opposite, there are plenty of examples of people who hate Man Utd who are deighted to see John O Shea play so well for them all season. Maybe that is a sense of patriotism.

If our conversations about English football upset you so much, I suggest you f*ck off and dont participate, rahter then trying to get everyone elses back up with your petty republican rants!

Originally posted by Hobart
    Again total crap. I presune by your homophobic protestations that you have never been out of this country.

Just a quick question, what has Homophobia and leaving the country got to do with one another ??

>Again total crap. I presune by your homophobic protestations that you have never been out of this country.

:D:D:D:D

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Just a quick question, what has Homophobia and leaving the country got to do with one another ??
    Sorry. Hang over from another thread. I should have said Sociophobia. Or a phobia that does not have a name such as dontsupportukclubsphobia.

Originally posted by Bateman
    >Again total crap. I presune by your homophobic protestations that you have never been out of this country.

:D:D:D:D
    I am developing Batemanphobia. I swear.:D :D

Do i detect some homophobia there :D:D:D:D

>You head off to Phibsoro and support the knackers/gypsies or whatever they are called and you and the other 3 supporters can tell each other how bad ye feel and how the whole world is against ye. You now have my full support.

Hobart, the fact that you are unable to argue some of sligoliner's ridiculous comments (and lets face it, it's not really that hard) without outdoing him speaks volumes for your blissful ignorance of Irish and world football. :mad:

Also, I think the word you are looking for is probably xenophobia. Not that sligoliner is guilty of that. He's just a little OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

why has this thread disintegrated into crazy abuse, "we" (sorry for the pun) should really be talking about the match that is going to happen tonight, whether or not it is english Irish scottish french or dutch.

it has two brilliant teams and I cant f**kin wait for it.

ROLL ON 8 O'CLOCK !

• Advertisement
Advertisement