Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line testing on ISDN

Options
  • 15-04-2003 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I was told twice today by Eircom that it won't be possible to test ISDN lines for ADSL/RASDL till mid May. First person said they can test, but its not accurate, second person said they can't test at all till mid May. But i rang a few weeks ago when i first heard my exchange was upgraded and then again when RADSL was released. They said it was possible to test ISDN lines for ADSL/RADSL and they did knowning i had isdn and told me i failed.

So whos telling the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

=============================================
    New Conference with i-stream
    from e-channel
    Tuesday, 15 April 2003 12:42:15 GMT+01:00

i-stream : Welcome to eircom ie Web Chat , How can I help you?

You : Hi i am interested in the uncaped business DSL

You : Is it RADSL or ADSL?

i-stream : the uncapped version is ADSL.

You : what is the lead time on orders at the moment

You : and do my lines qualify?, I know that they pass for RADSL on the online test

i-stream : We must allow 10 working days for work to be done at the exchange. So you are looking into the second week in May with the bank holidays etc. What numbers would you like me to check?

You : 06568***** 06568*****

i-stream : One moment please...

i-stream : You have two ISDN lines on that a/c at the moment and we currently have a problem in upgrading ISDN, in that the filters on our testing systems sometimes bring ISDN as fail even though they could pass. Your line currently comes up as fail but in in a few weeks we could have a pass result.

You : one of them passes the online test

You : if i were to get a new pstn line could that be upgraded

You : i need this urgently, as i am running an internet cafe and dual ISDN is too expensive

i-stream : Providing your new PSTN line passed our prequal test there should be no problem in upgrading.

You : but you can't gaurantee it

i-stream : There is never a 100% guarantee but if the online test said it passed it would indicate that you are close enough to the exchange for an upgrade. A new line would seldom carry faults or copper degradation so ypur chances would be quite high.

You : are the online tests for RADSL then?

i-stream : The tests online are for RADSL our testing systems here include both RADSL and ADSL

You : and there is no uncapped RADSL offering?

i-stream : Not at the moment I'm afraid. Our RADSL package is a low spec product aimed at lower internet usage.

You : can i get one isdn line downgraded? i know there are DSL trial lines in the building next door, so distance shouldn't be a problem, and its a new building <8 years

i-stream : Yes, you can certainly downgrade but whether you do that or instal a new pstn you should be warned that it can take take up to 3-4 weeks for us to get a test result for your line.

You : ok i'll think about it, thanks

DEPARTED CONFERENCE
    3-4 weeks, and more than likely another pile of bullsh1t at the end of it
    sigh............. continue the research........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircom will be able to Check ISDN lines for the DSL migration from the 25th of april .They currently can but there is only a 30% sucess rate so call in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

they can complete the test. they can complete the transition or migration or whatever they want to call it and they can replace your isdn with dsl. it appears that they are just acting the pr1ck about this. don't give up, hassle, hassle, hassle. and if eircom still won't do it for you, try comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

They currently can but there is only a 30% sucess rate so call in 2 weeks

Ah, didn't read this/see it anywhere and no one at eircom said anything about it till today and ive rang 4 times inquiring about tests. I was under the impression since late march/early april they could test ISDN lines with no problems.

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

this info has actually made me slightly happpier. I had failed the VIA test for RADSL and was perplexed tha i failed for RADSL.

On ISDN tho so this seems like kinda good news for me :)

so April 25th you say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I'm also on ISDN but passed the RADSL test. I'm only about 3.2km from my exchange.

Before getting ISDN I rang eircom about ADSL but failed so I got ISDN with Netsmart instead. Knowing eircom I thought it would be another 5yrs before RADSL, think I got ISDN too soon...oh well, justing waiting for some better RADSL packages before switching. Might go with IOL/Esat when it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

New Conference with i-stream
    from e-channel
    Wednesday, 16 April 2003 14:50:01 GMT+01:00

i-stream : Welcome to eircom ie Web Chat , How can I help you?

You : Hi. How do I go about getting my line tested?

i-stream : If you can confirm your telephone number I can check the line for you *****.

You : 286****, I'm on ISDN

i-stream : One moment please...

You : I take it the phone ringing just then was the test?

i-stream : I'm afraid that line has failed the prequal *****. You may be too far away from the exchange or perhaps there is degradation in the copper on your line.

You : is this the new radsl test or the old istream one?

You : You did take into account that I'm on ISDN??

i-stream : It includes all broadband services; ADSL and RADSL.

i-stream : Yes, the filters for ISDN testing were updated last week I'm afraid.

You : What about testing the second ISDN number

i-stream : All numbers on the account are tested simultaneously so the auxillary number has failed too

You : ok, thanks for your help. :-(

DEPARTED CONFERENCE

I failed the online test where you enter your phone and account number. I've failed this test as well.

So you guys reckon I should try again in a week or two?? Is there any point in getting Esat to test the line now or then or do they just get the same Eircom muppets(No disrespect to Kermit) to run the tests for them?

Advertisement