Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halflife 2 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Half - Life 2 will be released this year just in time for the X - Mas rush and will be on Valve's own engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

:eek: :):D YES! Thats the best games related news in months!

Their own engine? Ooh! I can't wait for some screen shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

TBH the engine that used for halflife was so heavily modded by value that it was very hard to see its quake 2 roots. What they did with model animation was cutting edge for its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Thorbar
    TBH the engine that used for halflife was so heavily modded by value that it was very hard to see its quake 2 roots. What they did with model animation was cutting edge for its time.

Quake 1 not 2 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    Quake 1 not 2 :rolleyes:

Actually both :rolleyes:

Are you sure dazzer? I think DiscoStu is right here, remember some interview now that I think about it where Gabe said they went down to ID and bought a licence for the quake 1 engine. They went home with a printed out hardcopy of the scource which was a few inches thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

some more screenys :)

lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Full set of HL2 scans - get 'em before we get sued and told to take them down :)

(Please don't start the argument about the HL engine. Valve has never owned a license to the Quake 2 engine - the only id engine which any of HL was based on was the Quake 1 engine. I have no idea why this is such a consistently recurring argument...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

cheers shinji - my link is blocked at work, content unsuitable, yours works a treat though :x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Jaysus how'd you get those? Cheers to Shinji anyway.

Kick arse screenies those, better quality on the whole than the earlier grainy one.

http://www.eurogamer.net/screenshot.php3?name=/pics/screenshots/half-life2_pc/03b.jpg
    ---> I need this game

Hydra looks fairly cool too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The alien in Marks link looks like one of the aliens from Star Ship Troopers or one of the aliens from the Roughnecks first movie.

It's so great the way Valve kept Half Life 2's development hidden for so long....Unlike other companies I could mention (**cough cough 3D Realms, cough **). I think I'll go into hibernation now until winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

...Counter Strike 2.0

What did I tell you? :)

Eurogamer's preview of HL-2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Should this be moved over to the Half-Life board?

(Ah go on, it gets feck all traffic ;))

Maybe ye should rename the hl board to HalfLife 2 hype wagon because that's what the majority of what yer going to get for the next 5 months :):). I was hoping this wasn't going to happen because I've been disappointed by games so many times when I get excited about them based on screenshots and previews but I can't wait for H2 to come out. Oi Shinji does this mean you take back all your comments about valve doing nothing for the last 5 years seeing as they've built up what appears to be a fairly powerful engine from the group up.

/me buys into the hype.

It will need a "Counter - Strike" to help it reach a wider audience like Half Life 1 tho, let's hope they offer the same kind of support for the modding community.

They've already said they're going to be releasing the SDK with the game itself and its going to be more [edit]robust[/edit] then the one released for Halflife.

[edit]
    Just read the eurogamer perview *fap* *fap* *fap*.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

omg, screenshots, it might be released this decade :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by Shinji
    Full set of HL2 scans - get 'em before we get sued and told to take them down :)

Woah, jeebus onna stick, that's only a bit gorgeous...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Shinji

Fair play to EuroGamer for putting up the images!

Shinji, will EG not get in trouble for publishing the scanned images? (What are they going to do? Sue?)

Any who, I never liked the idea of “mag exclusives”. To me they seem to lose their journalistic feel and become a commercial thing just to sell magazines. On another note, home broadband is the start to the end of games magazines, then again they also have exclusive demos.

I can’t wait for E3, more so the full game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Can't wait for this. Hope it has a decent enough storyline like Half-life 1, not just pretty graphics that get boring after about 5 mins (I'm very much a single player guy)

I have to agree, I reallyhope they more emphasis on the single player, there hasnt been a really good first person in a while.(or am i wrong?)
    I bet its going to require a hell of a machine to play!
    But any way Half-Life 2....yum yum!:D

Shinji, will EG not get in trouble for publishing the scanned images? (What are they going to do? Sue?)

Dunno yet. I think most sites get scared off by fairly minor legal threats. We've not been asked to remove anything as yet, and are unlikely to be scared off by hollow legal threats - we have some pretty scary lawyer dudes working for us, so while obviously we'll take them down if we have to, we won't be taking them down just because we're intimidated by a nasty letter.

Print magazine exclusives suck. Why should you, the consumer, have to pay six quid for a copy of PC bloody Gamer just so you can see info about a game you're really looking forward to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by Dazzer
    It will need a "Counter - Strike" to help it reach a wider audience like Half Life 1 tho, let's hope they offer the same kind of support for the modding community.

Planning on making a mod then Daz?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Id say it will get a new CS type game, BF1942 already has one (desert cmbat) and its still reasonably new, so about a year after release there will be one mod which shines and will become more popular than the origional itself (ala, CS and DC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Hmm i wonder if they've made a new netcode or are still gonna use the first one.

Looks good anyway :)

(btw, ive still not finished the first hl :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its apparently a new engine, made by former Lithtech guys, so I imagine the "net code" is completely new too.

Spening this long on a game and not developing a new engine would have be rather disappointing.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by vac
    (btw, ive still not finished the first hl :p)

Pathetic. :P

Give it a rest par :rolleyes:

BTW

hl2_cnn.jpg

The first non scanned image apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well **** Half Life anyway. I upgraded to a much better machine 2 years ago just before PC gaming got crap aand absolutely nothing decent came out. Now I'll definitely have to spend all my summer money on a new PC just to play HL2 at it's nicest (hopefully nicer than Prae can run it for once :D ).

I say John Carmack will be ****ting it for E3. Doom 3 is going to be totally blown by HL2. Only mario kart will match it for hype.

I hope they have loads of weird weapons like in the first game and not the latest trend of putting in realistic guns that only differ in look and the amount of damage they deal out.

Frankly the PC needs a game like HL2 desperately. I told everyone that HL would be better than Unreal and Sin and everyone laughed. Well I've a feeling this will be great and I haven't said that about a PC game in years ( except warcraft and starcraft).

Advertisement